Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 109

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. djwildefire

Trusted

Strangely I’ve lost 15-20 lbs over the last 6 months or so, even though I wasn’t trying to. I think less due to fitness and more due to lack of appetite. I don’t mind, I actually wanted to drop a bit of weight anyway. But definitely something to monitor.

2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Running is the absolute best. Was a total game changer for me when I started and got into it. Even shorter distances are great. I personally love the 12-16 mile distance most but any distance is awesome.

3. djwildefire

Trusted

Damn, I don’t think I’ve ever run more than around 10 or so, and that was when I was really into it. I’m slowly building up my miles right now, but don’t have a definitive goal. I ran about 5.5 today, it was great

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I need to get into stretching more. Last night I did a 30 minute stretching video and it felt so good

5. djwildefire

Trusted

Yeah I think I need to incorporate stretching into my running routine. Right now, all I do is cool down after my run by walking for 5 minutes. No prep beforehand.

6. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

my pre- and post- go-to

also anyone have any tips on distracting their brain to slightly extend their run distance? maybe this is completely inaccurate but i'm at the point where I can never really get past five miles but for whatever reason i can't kick the idea that the fatigue is mental and not physical.

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

honestly i tend to think of it in sync with music. like, if i’m nearing the timed end of my run, “go another song” or “wait until this song and then cooldown” or whatever

Cody likes this.
  8. Cody

have not been running with my phone but between this, which makes total sense, and getting turned onto that app strava, I think I may need to try it. Ugh forever plugged in

phaynes12 likes this.
  9. djwildefire

Trusted

@Cody not sure where you run, but I try to just take in the scenery and focus on the rhythm of my steps. I’m lucky to have a rec trail across the street from where I live, so there is some nature to look at and listen to. Granted I’ve been running right around 5.5 miles, so not sure if that would be sufficient for a longer run. I don’t run with my phone or music, but I’d like to get a running watch so I can monitor pace/distance.

10. marsupial jones

do you track your mileage with something while you run that alerts you to each mile? It might be easiest and simplest to start with turning that feature off.

next best thing is to just take it a little bit at a time. When you’re at 5 miles (if you know) just run for another 25 seconds. Next time, run an extra 50 seconds or to the next two stop signs or another landmark and just extend that way.

Or, you could say “today I’m gonna run 7 miles” and just do it. Sometimes on shorter runs I find those are harder mentally than a 15+ mile run for whatever reason. Like, the number sticks in my head and feels like it takes forever to get there when it’s a small number.

Cody likes this.
  11. djwildefire

Trusted

I’m lucky that the path I run on has mile markers every quarter mile, although it can be a double-edged sword. But it’s good for adding just a little bit of distance to your run. And also agree about the landmark thing. The first time I ran 5.5 miles I didn’t even set out to, but I had this idea that it would cool to run out to the local community center and I was feeling good, so I just did it. But I would caution against adding miles too quickly.

12. marsupial jones

i would also add:

1) don't run the same route over and over again consecutively. your body adjusts quickly so you can plateau and also running the same route gets old fast (at least for most)

2) instead of going out and running a certain distance, run a certain amount of time. run for 30 minutes or 60 or 90. this can also help make sure that you don't always run the same pace (again, you can plateau). if you know you're running for 90 minutes instead of 20 those should be very different paces. this can also help get past any mental hurdles of distance since now it's just a matter of time not how far.

johnnyutes and Cody like this.
  13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Without knowing about your routes, you can always try the out and back method. Run three miles out, turn around and run three miles back home. I like the idea of having no choice but to cover the distance.

Cody likes this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've always struggled with running. I don't like running outside because I have a hard time pacing myself. I struggle running on the treadmill because I can't stop staring at the time/distance and 20 minutes feels like 2 hours.

I so miss going to the gym and playing basketball 3x a week, which was my main source of exercise for 10+ years.

This summer, I biked a ton, 1000+ miles, actually. First time I've biked in like 20 years. I actually really miss it but it's no-can do in Northeast Ohio from pretty much mid-November through at least March.

Despite me hating running, my wife and I bought a used treadmill a few months ago when the weather started to turn and I've been running 2 miles a day, six days a week. I just can't get myself to run any longer than that. It's such a chore and it's something I feel like I cannot get used to, no matter how routine it becomes.

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Omg those who run without ur phones.... Do u worry about being murdered while on a run or jog?? Forensic files has taught me I will be murdered probably so I always have it

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I think if they’re gonna murder you they probably won’t care if you have a phone or not. But yeah I go with my phone

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i go with my phone every time I run and never once has it been "I need this in case I get murdered" haha

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

sometimes when I'm walking I'll play with my phone so I'm not murdered

19. djwildefire

Trusted

Holding my phone or having it in my pocket when I run bothers me, and I don’t listen to music when I run anyways. Hadn’t considered the murder angle haha. I usually just run with a watch.

20. Cody

yep tried this morning and can confirm this worked! Had to take a couple brief breaks but ran closer to six today. Crazy how knowledge (or lack thereof) of the route you’re taking can impact your ability to run it...something to be mindful of going forward for sure. Thanks!!

djwildefire likes this.
  21. djwildefire

Trusted

About to head out for a run, maybe I’ll stretch to 6 miles as well!

Cody likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

I had to get spark plugs replaced today and the mechanic asked what I would be doing while they worked. I said “I’m gonna go for a run” and he said “for an hour??” And the look on his face was horrified lol

23. marsupial jones

Also, ironically enough, was listening to the latest podcast of Ten Junk Miles and they talk with someone who always runs with a GUN. She said mostly because of people but also because of animals as she lives in a rural area but goddamn! Running with a GUN? Would not like that, seems super awkward. Sometimes my phone alone bugs me

24. djwildefire

Trusted

I did it! Thanks for the inspo @Cody!

25. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Love to hear it!