Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 107

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

So I've gained 50 pounds in the last 1.5 years. I've started exercising again - the last three weeks I've hit at least five days of exercise a week, varying in intensity. The gym is back open and it's not crowded at all but we have to wear a mask the entire time and it's hard af. I've only been twice since then but it feels awful to wear while exercising. I've been trying to do more dance cardio videos online in the meantime to do at home, and those are fun

Mr. Serotonin and St. Nate like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tomorrow will be 7 days in a row that I exercised. Legitimately think that’s the longest streak I’ve had in my life. The scenic rides are great for days that I don't feel like doing a class. I can play my own music and zone out to the visuals.

My weight fluctuates so much but yesterday was the lowest number I’ve seen on a scale in probably 3 years. Next up is working on my diet

RJ Knorr, St. Nate, Kiana and 2 others like this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

king shit go off

OhTheWater likes this.
  4. manoverboard365

Trusted

I signed up for a 100 mile charity bike ride in a few weeks to raise money for autism. No real experience riding bikes except for hopping on a citi bike to go a mile or two. Today I rented a road bike to practice and clocked in 40 miles, but god it took every ounce of energy in me to finish those final few miles. I'm screwed!
    But seriously for anyone who rides road bikes, the biggest problem I was having was having to lean forward the whole time, it absolutely killed my neck and lower back. 6 hours later and my neck is still in pain. Is this something I'll get used to the more rides I do, or was there something wrong with how the height of my seat?

5. Kiana

Me now that I realize fitbit sometimes counts my cleaning as active minutes

tumblr_mg9q4cTgX91s20zeho2_250.gif

6. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

if you ever paint a wall, be sure to use the arm that the FitBit is on. I painted a garage once and didn’t realize until the end of the day it counted as like 300,000 steps or something lol

Kiana likes this.
  7. Kiana

Now that I think of it I wear my fitbit on my non-dominant hand. Wonder if I'd get more if it was on the other

8. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Honestly been the best year to bike in the city since so many more people are using them and traffic is still (relatively) down, i feel much safer on one than I usually would.

I have a road bike and will usually will try to knock out between 8-15 miles before work or on the weekends on the Lakefront trail, though I avoid popular times as it gets pretty crowded and barely anyone abides by the mask mandate. Otherwise Clybourn and Elston are good options.

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I live a few blocks from the North Shore Channel and hit it up to get some uninterrupted miles in. I avoid the Lake Shore Path because of the reason you suggested - over crowded and little masks in sight.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  10. MexicanGuitars

Only found out about North Shore Channel path from a friend about a month ago and it is great. Still technically further from me than lakefront but a good reminder to incorporate that one back in.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

One great way to lose some weight is to get a dog - you basically have to go for walks even when its freezing outside, as it will be shortly in central Canada

I gained a little quarantine chub like everyone else, but I've made a determined effort to hit the gym for weightlifting sessions 4x a week since the start of August - writing down my sessions fully, recording lifting progress, and red-lining my heart with sled pushes at the end of every session - and I've lost 6 pounds in the past 2 months while noticeably gaining muscle. Feels good man

Don't despair if you've gained weight, even a lot of it - just make steady progress in the other direction. Swap out one meal a day for a salad with chicken breast or tuna. Drink water like your life depends on it, because it does - I have a one litre bottle at work and I fill it up 3-4 times at the water cooler. Take the stairs from now on, and do 2 steps at a time if you can. You'll see a change, and it doesn't take long

12. marsupial jones

Quarantine Chub is my new indie faux rock band name. Although I’m afraid the title might be misconstrued... but names of things with double meanings always workout!

chewbacca110 likes this.
  13. marsupial jones

Holy shit I’m just learning about this $1,500+ mirror that... basically let’s you watch yourself exercise while watching exercise videos...? Seems odd to me. I get wanting to see yourself for posture purposes but like... then buy a regular mirror and just watch exercise videos on your tv with the mirror close by...?

and this is another thing that requires a $40 monthly subscription. You could have quite the hefty monthly bill if you have this, a Peloton bike and Peloton Tread (or NordicTrack family plan)

OhTheWater likes this.
  14. moderndynamo

bork bork

Finally got a decent bar and all my plates in about 3 weeks ago. Lifts are almost back where they were pre-gym shutdowns. Feeling big and stronk again. Was getting too skinny from all the cardio and silly resistance band bullshit

15. phaynes12

just going with dumbbells. barbells and plates and shit are too much $$$ if I'm just gonna end up at a gym again in a year or two

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  16. moderndynamo

bork bork

I don’t think I’m ever going to a public gym ever again

17. phaynes12

i would rather not but i also don’t wanna drop 400 on a bar and plates haha

18. Deep Sharma

19. Deep Sharma

20. moderndynamo

bork bork

Yeah, I can understand that. My rack, bar, and plates all in was about $3,000. BUT they will likely last a lifetime and I never had to touch other people’s juices ever again.

phaynes12 likes this.
  21. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

No way LA Fitness is enforcing the limited capacity thing, looks pretty much the same as before the shutdown. People wearing masks but half not the right way.

22. manoverboard365

Trusted

NYSC has been pretty strict, at least by me. At one point I was lifting and my mask slightly slid off my nose, and someone immediately asked me to pull it up.

They say they have to keep it at 1/3rd capacity. I haven't seen them turn anyone away, but also I think it's because a lot of people are still nervous about going to a gym. It's a 2 floor gym and the emptiest it's been was 7 other people and the most crowded it's been was maybe 20.

23. MexicanGuitars

Yeah this was the fear and affirms my decision to cancel my LA membership. Earlier this summer a friend saw them doing street campaigns trying to get people to sign up like they worked for Greenpeace or something.

24. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

At Planet Fitness you’re allowed to not wear the mask while actively on a station. Quite a lot of people keep them on surprisingly. I go after 10pm and there’s usually only like 10 people or less there. Usually just like 3-4.

25. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My gym has been allowing people to play pick-up basketball games since mid-June...which I find to be insane they’re still allowing that. And this is coming from someone who played up there 3x a week, every week for the past 10 years (up until the pandemic).

Admittedly, I played two times in June when they started to allow us to play again (before another COVID surge in Ohio) and it felt super weird, literally physically banging into others constantly, sweating on each other. I went back to work/home feeling super selfish/guilty and haven’t returned since.