Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 105

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've biked more than 400 miles outside since COVID-19 started. It's honestly become one of my favorite hobbies now. My gym re-opened back in May, but I have been very hesitant to go back.

2. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Before I started working again I was riding several times a week. Now I go to the gym cuz it’s back open but I kind of feel like it’s going to be closing again soon. And I definitely don’t really feel comfortable going. I try to go around 9-11pm so that there’s less people. It’s been working so far but my heart just isn’t into it. I miss my bike

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, before this all started, I never rode my bike seriously. I'd ride it around the neighborhood with my son a few times a week, but not like, long excursions for exercise.

I have really developed an appreciation for just being outdoors riding around parks/the city/etc. Since my gym opened back up, I've gone three times. The first time was really just to see what it was like going back to the gym and who I'd see and how things were different. Basically, I went more-so out of curiosity. The other two times, I was extremely hesitant to go, but went anyway, but then felt kind of guilty about it. I didn't/don't feel good about going and realized I was getting just as good of an exercise on the bike and will likely just continue doing the bike thing until things feel safer - but like you said, things are going the opposite direction and wouldn't be surprised to see gyms close again.

4. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I want to go back into quarantine but sadly I work for a second chance bank whose gimmick is we are never closed ever. And there is only a lobby because we are in a grocery store. So they didn’t close during the 1st lockdown because they’d have no other way to operate. Man why do I need a job? Lol. I could be just working out at home and cycling!

5. Just did my first 60 min ride on the pelaton and I'm feeling so good afterwards. Not the most impressive numbers but I've been getting stronger since I got it in may.

Screenshot_20200704-151351~2.png

kassie09 and Shakriel like this.
  6. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Finished a restoration on an old road bike this weekend and have been riding it 15mi every morning. Only ever rode my last bike for work/errands and never just for exercise, but I quite enjoy it. Just need my seat to break in lol

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Started running again after a long time away. Feels good to be back.

jkauf likes this.
  8. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i'm not used to running in 85+ degree weather so i've been adjusting the last 3-4 weeks. amazing what temperature / heat / dew points can do to you. some days i can barely get to 5ish miles in that type of weather and it's like i've never run a day in my life before lol

give me 65 degrees and i can run for days. but current weather? blegh, not a chance. no idea how people do it (although i get they build up a tolerance for it so i guess that explains it).

makes me a litttttttttttle worried once i start trying to run marathons in every state, but i suppose it's just one more thing to adjust to and work with. wouldn't be a challenge if weather didn't play a factor!

9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Man I wish it was just 85+ here. I don’t even want to get in the car to go to the trail or track because it’s 115 just in the car. Then it cools down to 103 outside. The other night I went for a bike ride at like 10:30 pm because it was too hot until then.

10. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

This is why I’ve been going out at 6am haha

11. marsupial jones

yikes. I get the car thing though! Even with my windows rolled all the way down, as soon as I sit in my glasses fog up. It’s ridiculous. the local news has also been doing “pavement temps” and the last few days it’s been around 110 so I can only take the pup out for a walk way after sundown due to the heat on there.

BUT summer is very sparing in Wisconsin, so I’ll take it and deal with it.

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  12. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I've been eating healthier but I've also been drinking more so I feel like it cancels out. Also apparently gyms are not opening even with phase 4 in NY which I'm kind of sad about even though I know it's probably for the best. Been doing at home stuff but it's hard to keep it up, I'll get motivated for a while and then be bleh

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Can you swing running either really early in the morning or closer to sunset?

I started biking more toward after 8 pm every night as opposed to middle of the day because it’s been 90+ here for the past few weeks.

14. marsupial jones

it's funny, last summer when i started running i would run at 5 am and run while the sun came up and then get ready for work. this year, we're working from home due to covid and i cannot for the life of me get up early and go running. part of it is mental - i know i'm at home all day so i can run over my lunch hour in the great sunshine vs the colder-ish morning while the sun is rising and it's a great way to split up the work day - and part of it is idk lol i think i just enjoy running in sunshine better than not, but the last few days i've had to wait till the sun goes down. i also used my NordicTrack for the first time in months yesterday since it rained most of the afternoon (was planning on only using the NordicTrack during winter months)

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

There's a big hill near me that I have wanted to be able to walk all the way up and I did it! Last time I had to turn around halfway. It's really steep and big and I haven't been able to walk up it since I was a kid.

IMG_20200707_212624_251.jpg

Now my next post in here will be me whining about how sore I am

16. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Bought a friggin bike yesterday. I haven’t used public transit for obvious reasons so this will be so much better than all the walking I’ve done.

17. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

This scenery is gorgeous. Where is this?

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  18. Kiana

It's the garbage pile where I live in eastern Oregon lol. It's the view from the top of main street. I live somewhat in a valley so if you can get to the top of a hill to look down into the town you can get some good views!

19. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Garbage pile!?! Look at that land! Looks almost a little too idyllic.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  20. Kiana

Don't be fooled! It's mostly desert and wheat tbh. Very dry and not a ton of greenery. Middle of nowhere. Not a fan lol. There are some pretty and green spots but nothing like there is around Portland

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  21. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

This is how geographically challenged I am......never knew there was a desert in Oregon.

Mr. Serotonin and Kiana like this.
  22. Kiana

I don't think most ppl do! It's usually associated with the pretty trees and mountains and waterfalls because that's where most of the population lives, but we have a lot of ugly desert land too in the more rural areas

23. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

have you ever hiked table rock mountain

24. Kiana

25. marsupial jones

the eastern side looks totally different from more common always-seen landscapes of the western side of the state. Hell, even the politics are totally opposite on both sides of the state, same with Washington state. Eastern side of those states is pretty heavy in the red vs the blue west.