Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 101

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

24 miles on my bike today. It was a rainy, cold morning but then it turned into a sunny 91 degree day. The humidity killed me

2. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Been running about two and a half miles a day, while also coming across some elastic bands I can attach to my garage door to work chest/shoulders. Definitely feel like I’ve lost some strength/stamina since the gym closed, but I’m hoping to regain it gradually as i implement different sets with the bands.

3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm looking into buying an exercise bike, looking for some recommendations. I've had knee issues in the past, I've been told to go with a recumbent bike. Unfortunately car issues have taken almost my entire stim check, so I'm trying to find something in the $200-$300 dollar range. Anyone have any suggestions?

4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Fuck yeah this post inspired me to ride 20 miles today. It’s been so long. Rode all around Philly. Thanks for the motivation

Taketimeandfind likes this.
  5. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Congrats! I ended up buying some cycling shorts because those longer rides were killing my butt. Now I want to keep going! Keep it up!

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Trying to get control again. I saw a full body pic of myself today and I feel so disconnected from what I saw, like I don't recognize myself in that image. Part of me feels ashamed for people to see me again once quarantine is lifted. I hate that I'm so insecure and hard on myself. Downloaded MyFitnessPal again and it bummed me out seeing the last time I used it I weighed way less. I think I'm gonna go with the Fitbit app tho. I ordered a fitbit that should get here Saturday. The only thing I hate about food tracking apps is when I perceive it's passing judgement on my stats. Like I don't want it to get red or have an exclamation point if I'm over or under. I want it more just for my knowledge so I have a concept of portion sizes and nutrients. When I see that I've had too much of this or not enough that, I get kind of obsessive and discouraged.

We'll see how it goes

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

[​IMG]

^You after the bands

GrantCloud likes this.
  8. Mr. Serotonin Apr 29, 2020
    (Last edited: May 3, 2020)
    Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I'm up to 100 deep squats, 150 pushups, and 75 ab wheel roll outs in ~30 minutes

Still have a lot of work to do. Onward.

GrantCloud likes this.
  9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Weight stays down pretty well, until the weekend when I eat like trash. So that'd be something nice to work on.

10. Kiana

Got my Fitbit! Went on a short walk yesterday and an hour long walk today. Ate lots of calories yesterday tho but trying not to be hard on myself. It's hard to be kind to myself when I feel low, but I'm working on it

11. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I know for me it was easier to build the habit of exercising before I tried to change my diet. I’d try to change my diet before starting to work out but I didn’t see any results and I always felt like I had no energy and was starving. Made it hard to workout. But then I just ate like normal and started exercising everyday and seeing a couple of pounds drop off motivated me to eat better. Unfortunately I didn’t stick to the diet. But I did stick with exercising.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  12. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I got a Fitbit solely so I can see how much steps I take a day at work because I was curious

Kiana likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Did a combination of biking, hiking and climbing yesterday.

Took my bike out on the park trail for about six miles and then found a separate trail that didn't allow bikes that led to a waterfall, so I walked down a stone-trailed hill for about a half mile and then went off trail, explored a little bit near the river and then climbed a fairly steep hill to get back up to the normal trail where I parked my bike.

Haven't done that kind of stuff in like 20 years.

14. Kiana May 6, 2020
    (Last edited: May 6, 2020)
    Kiana

I've gained more weight and feel very defeated. 40lb since my last Dr appt a little over a year ago

15. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I packed on the "COVID 19" pretty quickly over the first six weeks or so of quarantine. I was finding it difficult to not eat everything in sight when I'm working from home then sitting around bored the rest of the night. It's also been difficult to work out in my apartment because I'm on the 3rd floor and don't want my neighbors to kill me for stomping around for 30-45 minutes at a time.

It's been better the past 2-3 weeks now that the weather is consistently nice enough to go outside for a walk or bike ride every day. I've also started tracking meals again to hold myself accountable. It's easier to make smart eating decisions when you need to enter every bite into an app that shames you for eating like shit. I'm down a few pounds now and feeling better physically and mentally because of it.

I guess what I'm getting at is I totally understand how you're feeling. It's okay to feel defeated because this situation really sucks, but you can't let that feeling consume you. Find new ways to get into a "routine" that holds you accountable. It's going to be a long time before this is over, so it's important to find a new normal that works for you.

Kiana likes this.
  16. Kiana

I wish I had even that much excuse lol! I'm still working like normal so I def don't have as much eating temptation as you since I'm not working from home. Exercising has def been harder without the gym. My apartment is pretty small and crowded rn so I run into the same thing. Def hoping the improving weather will help. I've already gone on more walks in the last week because of it which feels nice!

I def have an issue with the apps that shame for eating poorly though. I've really struggled to count calories because I get defeated so easily. I did have disordered eating as a teen so I think it may stem from that, that I get too focused on it and when I feel like I do "bad" or "fail" it just drives me to say screw it and not want to bother. Hoping to shift my mindset to focus more on just being healthy and active instead of the weight, but it's def hard. I've always been thin until now and I am now in the overweight category which has been very difficult to adjust to. I never realized how much of my identity was wrapped up in being thin and petite until now

17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'm here with you all. There's a fine line between eating healthy, yet allowing yourself some sort of comfort food during all this. I'm trying to find a good middle ground, but it's hard.

Kiana likes this.
  18. Kiana

I'm gonna blame getting a boyfriend where we only see each other on the weekends so tend to get takeout, even tho I tend to eat small portions/kids meals it's not great. And he like thinks I'm pretty at both weights like ugh what a jerk least he could do is be a tool and shame me into losing weight

Obv kidding about the last part.... Mostly

19. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I’ve gained about 5 pounds during all this but if you looked at my stomach you’d think I gained 20 pounds. My stomach was slimming down and now it looks bloated all the time. I’m sure it’s from all the snacking and soda while being stuck in the house. It’s just so disappointing because I’ve always struggled to eat well and at least when I was at work, that was at least 8 hours a day I didn’t think about snacks. Still doing what little workouts I can most days and walking/jogging every day. Biking when it’s not too hot or raining

20. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

My damn Strava app keeps crashing in the middle of my rides. I never notice until I’m home. Super annoying.

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I was on pace to have my best biking week this week but it’s, uh, snowing in Ohio so haven’t been able to get outside today and the next 4-5 days aren’t looking good either.

it’s mid-May.

22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

On Sunday it will be colder here (Wisconsin) then it was on Christmas Day :-|

GrantCloud likes this.
  23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Yeah it’s been relatively cool here (high 80s), which is actually cooler than it’s been in months

24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

jesus, already??? It got to 70 in Wisconsin two weekends ago and I’m pretty sure there was not a single person inside a building for two days straight. Mostly because we know how fleeting they are (see this weekend where it will snow lol)

25. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Usually by now it’s 90s pushing 100s. This is unheard of for us