Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Head of Coachella’s Parent Company Is a Real Asshole

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Alex Galbraith, writing for Uproxx, details how Coachella’s parent company, AEG, is helmed by the extreme right-winger Philip Anschutz:

“Phil Anschutz’s extensive influence in Colorado politics has been known for years, but the degree of his support for anti-LGBTQ groups that fund extremist hate groups like Gordon Kligenschmitt’s ‘Pray in Jesus Name’ is shocking,” said ProgressNow Colorado executive director Ian Silverii in a press release. “At a time in American history when discrimination and violence against LGBTQ citizens is on the rise, support for pro-discrimination groups puts Anschutz on the wrong side of Colorado, and on the wrong side of history.”

Just something to think about before spending your money.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

If you want a complete list of companies, theaters, clubs, stadiums, tours, festivals, and sports teams under the AEG blanket you can go here:

AEG Worldwide

3. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Fuck this guy. Coachella lineup really suck this year imo.

amorningofsleep likes this.
  4. shibbee

Regular

Fuck this guy, but I'm not going to boycott arenas/stadiums/teams/tours/festivals because of one guy.

5. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Thanks for posting this, I don't think I would have known otherwise.

6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Wonder if any artists will pull out (not really though).

7. Tata Toothy

Regular

I agree 100%. At this rate we will have to boycott everything if we don't want to deal with assholes

heymattrick likes this.
  8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

He's the head of the parent company of the parent company of Coachella, which was founded long before AEG bought them out and the festival itself is run by a different guy (Paul Tollet). This dude is pretty loosely tied to Coachella and he owns a shit ton of other venues, I don't know why the media is running with the "Coachella owner" story.

Essie and heymattrick like this.
  9. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

Exactly this. Everyone is connecting Coachella and this guy and they're actually worlds apart.

ComedownMachine likes this.
  10. Because that's how parent companies work ...

tomdelonge likes this.
  11. I'm cool boycotting all anti-LGBT places. Don't think that means I have to boycott "everything."

12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I worked for AEG for almost 5 years, but I'ved moved on since. But fuck this guy! (Also the LA Kings :eh:)

13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

You don't think it's a bit of a stretch though? He owns AEG which owns Goldenvoice which owns Coachella. This dude is a asshole but I think it should be emphasized more that other than livenation he owns the most venues, it's much bigger than just Coachella.

14. irthesteve

Coachella is the easy punching bag. The headlines should have been broader to give ALL festivals under AEG, ALL sports teams, ALL venues the same level of "blame" as Coachella. Having them be the only headline is click bait

heymattrick and ComedownMachine like this.
  15. Tata Toothy

Regular

Okay. You boycott what you want, and I will boycott what I want. Dude is scumbag regardless.

Sorry for using the term "everything". It was more in jest than anything.

16. No I don't think it's a stretch.Just like I believe board members are representative of their companies and are responsible.

17. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

18. BelieF

Regular

Had to actually log in just to say this is really stupid.

19. irthesteve

20. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

#ReasonsToOverthrowTheCorporateState

tomdelonge likes this.
  21. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

And you just know the 'alternative' community at large won't give much of a shit. They'll just talk some talk about how awful this all is but still stay up until tickets are released and shell out. Like, put your money where your mouth is, literally. Don't but into this if you claim to support the LGBT community. If you want to make a change and/or a difference, be the person who says "I won't let this shit be a part of my community".

22. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

AEG and LiveNation should be broken up, it's completely unjust that two companies control an entire industry, rip everyone off, and then funnel profits to this kind of bullshit.