Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Head North Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Transient_Hymn, Jul 29, 2016.

1. solxace

oh word?

This is unexpected. But I love it after first listen.

ECV likes this.
  2. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Love the last 3 songs on the album together.
    Fallow being an early standout for me

ECV and solxace like this.
  3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Damn this is fantastic!! Too much going on today ha

ECV likes this.
  4. Yep. They didn't have a release plan and they wanted to weigh all their options.

5. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

Were you referring to Broke? I have it listed as a bonus track, but I think it's a really great closer.

ECV likes this.
  6. Yeah, Broke. It's really good.

tumbleweedterror likes this.
  7. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

This is going to take a while to digest. Definitely not that excited about it after the first listen.

8. Listen again. It's so diverse and full of interesting ideas. Only complaint is the production (around the vocals, mainly) could be a little better and they could be a little more focused. But this is a pretty stellar debut.

pauljgreco likes this.
  9. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Damn didn't know this was out today. Just started my first listen. Enjoying Sort of Medicine so far.

10. My biggest complaint on first listen is production around the vocals. It seems like they're always low in the mix or have some kind of effect on them, or both. I definitely noticed the difference most on the songs I heard live. "Head North Is a Business" was the one I loved when I saw them in March, and it's probably my favorite on the album as well, but I wish it had a bigger, cleaner vocal sound. I do appreciate that it's a pretty ambitious album and they seem to be trying to stray off the same beaten path as their peers, but I wish it had a couple more songs with big choruses and great melodies. On that note, I don't think any song on the album would have been as good of a single to push as "Broke," so I'm kind of surprised it ended up as a bonus track, especially because the lyrics tie directly in to other songs on the album.

Also, I loved the Long Winters reference in "Somewhere, ND."

tumbleweedterror and ECV like this.
  11. Yeah I have no idea why Broke ended up as a bonus track. It fits in so nicely with the rest of the album.

12. Transient_Hymn

Pulse is so good.
    Feels like the peak of the sound they were going for

13. I would argue that a lot of the songs have great melodies (maybe not big choruses, although some do) but the vocal production buries them a bit. He has a great voice and it should be higher in the mix!

14. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

I agree with everyone, the vocals definitely need to come up, especially considering his voice is so damn good. I'd love it if I could understand the lyrics haha. That said, I still think this record is mind blowing and it floors me every time I listen to it.

15. Yeah the vocals could definitely be higher in the mix. I think the mix works better on songs like Pulse where Brent's voice functions more like an instrument than Head North Is A Business which is pretty lyrical. Aside from that I like the production a lot.

Favorite tracks? Mine is Pulse with honorable mentions to Broke and Fallow.

teebs41 likes this.
  16. solxace

oh word?

Broke, Fallow, and Head North Is a Business are standouts for me

17. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

Pulse, The First One, and Broke are probably my top favorites, but Head North Is A Business, Fallow, and White Light are also standouts.

18. loudasallgetout Jun 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2017)
    loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I wasn't sure if it was my deaf ear but apparently no one else can hear vocals either. I'll just make up my own I guess.

EDIT: but being deaf is fun sometimes because you flip your headphones and it's like a brand new song.

19. puppychrist

Super ambitious album, to say the least. This guy has one of the coolest voices in the scene. It's a shame it really is so low in the mix.

BigMouth likes this.
  20. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

The vocals only really feel lost in a few songs. Finally got the chance to really dig in and this is very very good.

BigMouth likes this.
  21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I usually like most things you do, so I'm gonna check this out tonight!

22. Transient_Hymn

I think the back half of the album wins for me. I'm loving it

23. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I thought you already listened based on your "This is fantastic" post earlier in the thread.

Did you get a chance?

24. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I had listened to three songs but didn't get back to it lol

25. Whole thing is great but Head North Is A Business through White Light is just an incredible stretch