Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

He Is Legend Band • Page 31

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This album sounds better in October. Wildly good

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

3. Weird LiBrary

Regular

Listened to their discography newest to oldest today while working and here's my best to worst:

It Hates You: Their proper DGAF album, lightning in a bottle
    Few: Moody and cohesive
    I Am Hollywood: Unique when it came out, a bit dated but still a big stand-out from that era
    White Bat: Grown HIL with a little of that IAH energy
    Heavy Fruit: Some very good songs, some awkward/goofy songs
    Suck Out the Poison: Important bridge album, but still finding their footing
    90125: Fun, but understandably immature

It doesn't feel like there's much of a market for the sound they've carved out over the last 4 albums - like it's too off-kilter for a lot of "regular" alternative rock fans, but not "cool" enough for fans of underground music. Oddly enough I think that winds up benefiting the band, because the songs never feel like they were written to impress anybody.

Great band.

4. sukottokairu

Regular

i definitely feel like they've always stayed closer to the metal scene than trying to break into alt rock. especially their newest, the video for boogiewoman looks like it could be a rob zombie video!

5. Weird LiBrary

Regular

Agreed, although I've never gotten the impression that they were embraced much by the metal scene either. This is all anecdotal of course, but at each of the shows I've attended the VAST majority were folks just waiting to hear songs from IAH.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

RIP McKenzie Bell, who played rhythm guitar on 91025, I Am Hollywood, and Suck Out the Poison. I don’t know any details of his passing, just saw someone post about it on the He Is Legend discord.

7. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

Sorry to hear that. Everyone in this band always seemed cool. Sorry for the loss. RIP.

mattylikesfilms and inwaves like this.
  8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

woah... that’s incredibly sad to hear. RIP.

inwaves likes this.
  9. Crisp X Apr 28, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2020)
    I've seen them referred as butt rock by too many metalheads over the years, which barely makes sense outside of a few poppier songs...

And wow, RIP

Weird LiBrary likes this.
  10. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Heard about McKenzie today. Man, what a bummer. RIP

Gonna spin their early stuff!

11. inwaves

Still can't get over how great White Bat is. It Hates You will probably always be their best in my eyes, but White Bat certainly gives it a run for its money. Can't wait to see where they go next.

12. Wow it's already turning 1? I echo your thoughts, I'm still blown away by this record and now think it's their second best.

ramomcferno, inwaves and gonz (Alex) like this.
  13. inwaves

Yeah I can't believe it either. I feel like, along with It Hates You, this is probably their best sequenced album. The transition from Skin So Soft into Boogiewoman is one of the heaviest and coolest parts of their discography.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I know they moved away from this sound, but 91025 is such a jam. I can't believe they put out that and I Am Hollywood within the same year (June & November).

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The first time I heard Either they Decorated Early I was hooked. Fell off a little bit with Suck Out, but It Hates You brought me right back in. I still listen to Fangs every few days. That song absolutely rips.

16. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Just a quick PSA: we are approaching that time of year for peak HIL listening vibes. Went through White Bat yesterday and man it gets me amped for October. Doing It Hates You now and man, these guys are my guys.

17. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

THISSSSS

18. I wonder if they've been working on some new material in the past year and a half. White Bat still sounds fresh in my mind though.

19. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

They're playing Furnace Fest this weekend so I wonder if maybe we'll hear about a new song played in that set or something.

20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Seeing them at Furnace Fest for the first time live ever!! Been a fan since 04 so I am incredibly hyped :)

21. inwaves

Please report back! They've always been a fun live band, but I feel like they've really stepped their game up in the past few years.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  22. inwaves

I believe someone asked Matt on IG a while back and he said they'd been jamming on some new ideas. I'm hoping we'll get a new album next year.

23. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

It Hates You's mix is just fucking mint. Need more of that, please.

24. Jdfleming89

RIP ETID Supporter

If anyone can snag me a copy of the HIL I am Hollywood vinyl I will pay you handsomely.

25. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

Same thing here!

Based on the line for the pre-order I'm sure they'll be pressing more eventually

mattylikesfilms likes this.