Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

He Is Legend Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by inwaves, Apr 3, 2016.

1. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

A band that I'll always believe is underrated. I think they've matured so much over the years. They just got done recording a new album, so we can hopefully look forward to that this summer.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  2. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I completely agree. They are second in heavy riffage only to deftones. Heavy fruit was really great.

inwaves likes this.
  3. inwaves

Some people might disagree, but I hear Deftones influence in a lot of Legend stuff. I think any fan of Deftones will find something to like about It Hates You and Heavy Fruit.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  4. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Even on Suck Out The Poison, some of the sludgy riffs sound influenced by deftones. Like Magnolia, goldies torn locks.

5. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Stoked to see them with Norma Jean tomorrow. Was super late getting into this band.

6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

o'god is my all time fav heavy record. I didnt enjoy wrongdoers as much as I wanted to. Id love to see that show though!

7. inwaves

Agreed. Not to mention the verse melody of Mushroom River is very similar to Birthmark off of Adrenaline.

8. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Mushroom river is my favorite song by them. His growls and those pinches are so nasty. They have a way with breakdowns, they are actually groovy and percussively interesting. Even on I Am Hollywood, you can hear jazz influences and a hearty blues background in the guitars. Real musicians from day 1, just never figured out how to appeal themselves right imo. I feel like the more the do what they want and develop their own style, the better they get. That rings true with most things.

9. inwaves

I think they've done a great job of implementing those influences more naturally with each album. On I Am Hollywood, the music often switches genres several times within the same song. I think that was awesome and worked on that album, but I prefer It Hates You and Heavy Fruit because the songs feel more cohesive and thought out.

10. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Goddamn did they put on a hell of a show tonight. Most of the crowd seemed to only like their old stuff because the place went fucking berserk when they played I Am Hollywood at the end.

11. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I am HOLLYWOOOD!

inwaves likes this.
  12. muttley

I've listened to IAH a few times in the last couple days. Playing IHY right now. Still need to fill in the gaps and listen to SOTP and Heavy Fruit.

inwaves likes this.
  13. inwaves

They're all so great. A very strong discography. Have you listened to Heavy Fruit and SOTP before?

14. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

I'll never forget hearing the bridge in, "China White," for the first time...perfect.

inwaves likes this.
  15. muttley

I've had SOTP for years but I've never listened to it. The vocals turned me off back in the day. Haven't heard anything from Heavy Fruit.

16. inwaves

SOTP is pretty awesome, but the production hurts it in my opinion. Heavy Fruit is amazing.

17. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The Seduction and I Am Hollywood are songs that will never get old for me.

muttley and inwaves like this.
  18. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I Am Hollywood is one of my favorite heavy albums, still listen to it regularly. Suck Out the Poison is great, but his voice change still throws me. Everything else just never held me.

19. inwaves

It Hates You is their masterpiece to me. I Am Hollywood is amazing and one of my all time favorites, no doubt, but I just feel like It Hates You captures their true musical identity.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  20. aspeedomodel

Need to relisten to It Hates You. I remember literally hating the album when it came out. Like....couldn't finish it but forced myself too. Felt overly simple musically and boring lyrically, but again that's from a while ago so I'll revisit.

21. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

It Hates You is HIL at their best, imo. I'd definitely recommend giving it another shot.

inwaves likes this.
  22. inwaves

It's one of the more deceptively complex hard rock albums I've ever heard. There are layers to the music that only become apparent after several listens. It reminds me of Deftones in that sense. Also, did you listen to a leak when it came out? Because when the album leaked, it was a crappy slowed down version.

23. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I love It Hates You.

inwaves likes this.
  24. aspeedomodel

This.....may actually explain it...I can't remember but this could be it haha.

25. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

The Primarily Blues is so so so good.

inwaves and ChrisCantWrite like this.