Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HBO Cancel ‘Vinyl’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

HBO have canceled the series Vinyl after only one season.

Vinyl, which starred Bobby Cannavale as a 1970s record executive trying to save his company, opened to disappointing ratings for HBO. The two-hour series premiere averaged just 760,000 viewers in live-plus-same-day numbers. However, the show was quickly renewed for a second season no doubt due to its impressive auspices and hefty price tag. The two-hour Vinyl opener is said to have cost about $30 million and the first season $100 million.

2. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Glad they cancelled Boardwalk Empire for this bust.

3. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Man I kinda liked it...ah well...

bptky likes this.
  4. noKings

Regular

Never tried it since first episode was basically a movie. Good thing I didn't...

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Man it must have been really bad if HBO, which lets almost everything get a second crack and invested heavily in the show, cancelled it after a lone season

6. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I watched the whole season, and I'm not even remotely bothered by this news. I know that we're living in the age of the antihero on TV, but most shows counterbalance that by having a supporting cast of likable people you want to see thrive. This show did not have a single person to root for, which made every stupid decision they made all the more insufferable. I really liked the concept, but they botched it from the start.

cubsml34 likes this.
  7. bored6

This was the worst HBO show in a long time.

8. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

New HBO head of programming is doing great work. Bringing back Curb, cancelling True Detective and this. Nice work.

cubsml34 and skurt like this.
  9. Tim McCall

Regular

Is True Detective dead? I thought it was on hold for a while.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  10. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

11. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

I watched this entire season mainly because I wanted to see how much worse the storyline and characters could get and it did not disappoint me there lol.

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I was super excited for this, but never watched it after how lukewarm most of the buzz was. Seems like I didn't miss much.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Tim McCall

Regular

14. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

Same boat. Now if I want my music fiction shows sex drugs and rock and roll is comin back plus roadies first episode was promising

theredline likes this.
  15. 383whitez

I was on the fence about the show for pretty much the whole season. I really wanted to like it but at times it just left me feeling eh. I was hoping maybe they could come back strong in the second season.

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Definitely need to look into that one. I'm a big Cameron Crowe fan, so it's probably more up my alley than this one.

17. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah show was bad

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Definitely dead. I know cause an HBO commercial said watch the entire series of True Detective meaning it's come to an end because normally they say "new season of.." if it's still on. It's a shame the second season couldn't find its grounding. I'm ok with Vinyl being cancelled but still salty about them cancelling The Brink after renewing it just 2 days prior.

19. morte

Regular

Exactly the same.

20. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Never got around to checking this out.

21. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

Maybe they should have set it in the 90s and called it CD.

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Watched the first episode and never felt the need to watch the following ones

23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

the show took WAYYYYYYY too long to figure out what they wanted to do. Bad main character, too scatter brained, and just....not what it could have been. A show about the music industry in the 70s via Martin Scorcese should be amazing!! The music was great but the great moments on screen were too minimal.

24. joshuaharris

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm pretty bummed.

bptky likes this.
  25. Frd

Dirty Sanchez and bptky like this.