Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hayley Williams Talks with I-D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Hayley Williams of Paramore recently sat down with I-D:

I found myself in a really weird headspace in the last few years where I was going through these things in my personal life, but we had just come off of this successful album. People would come up to me in my hometown and have pictures of me in these very superhero type poses across their shirts, and [they’d say], “Oh you’re perfect, I’ve looked up to you for so long.” I never discounted anything that they said because that’s the truth for them and I appreciate that, but what I couldn’t shake was how much that contrasted with the way that I viewed myself. I was crumbling. I was losing friendships, I was going through things with my family, my relationship. I just felt like, “Wow, this person that I’m standing right in front of, has no idea that I’m probably doing worse than they’re doing. And they’re asking for advice, and they’re telling me that I’m perfect.” It made me very angry at myself that I wasn’t at that level, and I never could be.

2. aniafc

Trusted

That quote is a really sad look into the life of an artist. We idolize and romanticize the shit out of them and then expect them to live up to our expectations. And, if they don't, we just move on and find someone else to put that pressure in.

Raku, Turkeylegz and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  3. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

I figured as much after hearing "Idle Worship" for the first time. That's why you really shouldn't treat celebrities as role models. Most of them are just as fucked up as us, except they have more money, which can cause more problems if Biggie is to be believed lol

Raku, skogsraet, js977 and 1 other person like this.
  4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I really commend Hayley for always being for forthright and honest in her interviews. Reading how candid she is as a modern rock icon is truly refreshing in an era of soundbites, clickbait, and cliches.

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I think what she says here really isn't uncommon at all for a lot of people, not just entertainers. I think all of us are guilty of projecting when looking at a celebrity or someone we admire, but, nobodys perfect.

Raku and coleslawed like this.
  6. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

The vulnerability of "After Laughter" as a whole is beautiful, yet depressing at the same time. She really captured what it's like to live with anxiety, pressure, failed relationships, and everything in between. This album will have a hard time getting knocked off my top 5 albums of the year regardless of what else I pick up from now until the end of the year.