Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hayley Williams - Petals for Armor (May 8, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Drew Beringer, Jan 6, 2020.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm getting off topic but I had a friend saying how Brendon Urie seemed like he was phoning it in and not enjoying what he was doing anymore or something along those lines and like.. whatever you think of new Panic! is not the point - that man is clearly having the absolute time of his life doing what he loves. Which is to say, I agree and think people basically see what they want to if they don't like the music. And really I'm not aiming this at the original post here either just got me thinking.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

now BRENDON definitely is the only creative force in Panic, that's a solo project for sure.

3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Not according to Brendon (he argues it's a collaborative effort between people he writes with and it's more of a collective than a band, but it's still not just him). But really I didn't mean it like that - more just how people perceive things that aren't really true when they don't like the sound a band moves to.

4. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

i saw a petal for armor poster here in Hattie B’s in Nashville and I wanted so badly to ask where I could get one but got anxious

i regret everything

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Doesn't she live in Franklin just outside Nash? Maybe she put it there

6. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

also congrats on the move dude

zigbigwig likes this.
  7. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

thanks! still need to find an apartment though, but i think my wife and i found one that looked incredibly cool. i honestly can’t wait, and if i run into hayley i probably would just melt

if ever you’re in Nashville let me know, let’s hang. will def do the same if I drop by LA, i still am jealous when you did emo night karaoke

DickyCullz likes this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

don’t really love all of paramore, but the last two albums are pretty fucking great, so i’m here for this

Mary V likes this.
  9. K0ta Jan 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 31, 2020)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I met Taylor for the first time in 2007 at a show in NYC - months before Riot! even came out - and he was already involved with them by that point.

To say it's the "Hayley Williams show" is a massive disservice to Taylor and Zac, and not only that, Hayley spent years trying to dispel that notion only to have it continue to be something that people say. I've been to a number of m&g's with this band, shows and events and it's never once felt like Hayley was ever trying to make it about her. That kind of ego is hard to hide. She doesn't have one. And like Kayla said, this most recent tour had a lot of emotions around it and it was made quite clear how much this process was a group process - and how influential Taylor has been in being the reason Hayley even continued on with Paramore to begin with. Jeremy leaving almost ended this band (and it wasn't good after Josh and Zac left either) - we should be thanking Taylor every single day for the kind, gentle heart that he is and for how influential he has been in this band.

A bit off topic and not necessarily directed at anybody but is something I think about a lot - it's so frustrating to watch this band just not be able to do anything without continued scrutiny. And I've been a fan for 14 years - I know exactly what kind of scrutiny they've been under their whole careers. And Hayley in particular has born the brunt of it, and it most certainly started because she was a woman in a male dominated scene. She had to meet impossible standards, and even today it feels like everything she does is put under a microscope. When the particulars of the record deal with Atlantic/FBR came out, she was blamed. When Josh and Zac left, she was blamed. When Jeremy left, she was blamed. She's lived up to immense pressure and she's done it with grace and dignity. There's no reason we should pick apart why they're taking time with a new album or why Hayley is putting out her own stuff - we don't needlessly scrutinize countless other (usually) men and their intentions when they make side projects or take time between albums in the same way this band has had to answer for things. And they post very clearly on socials pictures together and that they're taking time, and still everybody has to look for things that aren't there?? Let them be. They're entitled to however much time they need. And when they give us information - we should believe them. This band loves their fans too much to bs us. Have some faith.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I know I certainly wouldn’t want to be in the position of having to try following up an album like After Laughter lol can’t blame her for wanting to do something else first before reconvening with Taylor and Zac

11. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I am glad we’re to a point where Hayley can do something on her own without it turning into a 20 page argument about how she is betraying her band and a terrible person- can you imagine how this project would have been received idk, pre-2015 even? Let alone 2009, when the poor girl couldn’t even wear shorts without some jabroney making a sexist comment about it. Small steps, but we have really gotten somewhere as a community and that is good.

12. K0ta Jan 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2020)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Very true. So many nightmares just thinking about some of the things I've heard people say about her. Speculations now seem like small potatoes in comparison.

13. Liz Jan 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2020)
    Liz

Ew, David

I didn't mean it as an insult to Hayley, and I'm going to support whatever she does. I'm not a songwriter or musician so there's a lot I don't know about the dynamics of the songwriting process. I can't really think of any other bands that I listen to where the lead singer also has a side project, except Gwen Stefani (is that a side project?) so maybe that's why its a little strange to me :shrug2:

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I wish this was the album version so bad

skogsraet and abcdefg123 like this.
  15. vidiviciveni

Trusted

When I said Paramore had "become the Hayley Williams show", what I mean is, she's the public draw. She's a popular collaborator and guest vocalist, and without her, their popularity wouldn't be near where it is. But yes, I was discounting most of the writing process, so that's my bad.

Bear in mind I live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere Canada and don't get to see hardly anyone tour ever, so I'm basing a lot of my opinions purely on their sound and their public perception. Way more of the population of my area would know who Hayley Williams is than would know who Paramore is, simply because she's ubiquitous on even our shitty local radio.

16. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

But that's always been the case, hasn't it? Like, that isn't something that just started with self-titled or After Laughter. It's the case for the vast majority of bands. With very few exceptions (early Fall Out Boy comes to mind), the lead singer is seen by the public as the "main" member of the band regardless of who did what or how much behind the scenes.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. I can’t imagine anything but relatively “smaller” venues (at least compared to Paramore tours) and that gets me so excited. Missed out on that phase of Paramore due to living in the middle of nowhere at the time. I hope hope hope she does a full tour

18. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I would love to see Hayley in smaller venues but I feel like for her own safety it’s extremely unlikely it’s anything smaller than 2,000cap theaters.

19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

My guess is she does House of Blues type venues. 1,000-2,000 cap venues. I'm not sure she'll be able to do much bigger than that (at least at first) especially if it's billed as Petals for Armor and not "Hayley Williams". But I also don't think she's going to do club venues or anything because ya.. she needs that barrier/security in front of her unfortunately.

Barresi likes this.
  20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

She could probably sell out 3,000-3,500 capacity theaters like the Chicago Theater.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This is one of the only songs I’ve seen that’s just credited as Hayley Williams (I always wondered who played on it since I imagine Josh wouldn’t touch a song that had the word “shit” in it). Always thought it was a fun, little throwaway song. Good ol “Jennifer’s Body” soundtrack.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Refreshing in the context of the above conversation: I said to my wife “looks like Hayley Williams is putting out a solo album” and she replied with “who?!”

You know, the lead singer from Paramore...!

She just knows them as Paramore and I like that! It’s never been the Hayley Williams show in our house apparently!

abcdefg123, David Parke and Mary V like this.
  23. a lack of color

Regular

As a teenager, my parents would refer to Paramore as "she" and "her" instead of "they" and "them" and I would yell at them and they would yell at me for yelling at them and it caused many fights in my home

24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Not entirely comparable, but Hayley and Gwen Stefani’s career path have similarities to me.

25. Omni

Regular

How so? I don't see any similarities other than both being women in bands.

abcdefg123 likes this.