Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hayley Williams Is the 21st Century’s Pop-Punk Prophet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jenn Pelly, writing at NPR:

Williams has reflected, of late, about how the lack of young women musicians in her scene contributed to loneliness and self-loathing. “I doubted whether people would ever take me seriously,” she said. “I felt like I needed to be part of a boy’s club to make it. It really affected my sense of self and what I thought I owed people.” And so she would go twice as hard as the men she shared stages with. “I thought I had to be better than them to prove my worth,” she said. “I wish I’d learned sooner that [being a woman] is actually this incredible strength.”

There’s no other way to put it: Paramore are on the short list for the best band, and catalog, to come out of this music scene in the last twenty years.

2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Paramore is the most important band of our time post reply

K0ta, Mary V, Zoshchenko and 4 others like this.
  3. kelly

kaylasananjou likes this.
  4. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

And I vividly remember the skepticism they received around AP during the AWKIF/Riot! days. Glad we sorted that out. :-p

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I just had war flashbacks to me spending an entire week of my life fighting with people in her Cosmo cover news thread, ugh.

Jason Tate and smowashere like this.
  6. AllenRicketts

Regular

Paramore is probably the only band I was legitimately on the ground floor of. One of my favorites ever. It's been such a treat to grow along side this band and watch it change. My contrarian shittiness wants to disagree with this piece but I don't.

7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely agree with them being on the short list.

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I really love after laughter. Never rly got into their other stuff aside from the odd single here and there but man she just gets me on after laughter tbh like it resonates v deeply. Sad I never saw them perform it on tour.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Full stop.

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I remember when the self titled came out I wasn't into it for a few months, and looking back WHAT WAS I DOING?! That album is probably still my favourite but I love everything they have done.

Paramore have aged incredibly well as a band, which I really didn't see happening but should have. They've evolved constantly and have a front to back really good discography.

11. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Saw them at Warped Tour in 2005. With like, 40 people on the Shiragirl stage. My sister talked to Hayley for 40 minutes after they moved all their gear because Hayley liked her sneakers.

The band has become one of the most important in our scene and they're doing it the right way. I hope they make a dozen more records and they're all as different as the ones that came before.