Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harvey Weinstein’s Accusers Tell Their Stories

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ronan Farrow, writing for The New Yorker:

In the course of a ten-month investigation, I was told by thirteen women that, between the nineteen-nineties and 2015, Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them, allegations that corroborate and overlap with the Times’ revelations, and also include far more serious claims. […]

Sixteen former and current executives and assistants at Weinstein’s companies told me that they witnessed or had knowledge of unwanted sexual advances and touching at events associated with Weinstein’s films and in the workplace. They and others describe a pattern of professional meetings that were little more than thin pretexts for sexual advances on young actresses and models.

Fuck this scumbag.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

3. Fuck. The way these stories all have him pulling the same "tricks" is so, so concerning. Have to believe he kept taking that approach because it worked for him at one point or another. My heart goes out to those too afraid or ashamed to speak out.

4. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Wow.

In a tone that Nestor described as “very weirdly proud,” Weinstein added “that he’d never had to do anything like Bill Cosby.” She assumed that he meant he’d never drugged a woman. “It’s just a bizarre thing to be so proud of,” she said. “That you’ve never had to resort to doing that. It was just so far removed from reality and normal rules of consent.”

5. shawnhyphenray

Regular

I've read multiple articles relating to this. It's crazy. But i'm just surprised that many of these women were so quick to reach a settlement with him, and continue living happily, as if they knew accusing him would get them rich. I'm not saying this is true, but this is what some articles make it seem like.

6. Why would you write this?

skogsraet and Anna Acosta like this.
  7. ...

Yes, discrediting victims through conjecture and implications under the guise of "just asking questions" is a time honored strategy when it comes to reporting on these kinds of allegations. Which is what you're doing here. If that wasn't your intent, consider this a teachable moment, because that's how it came across and that's the impact it had.

I am going to say this as civilly as I can: you have no evidence that these women were able to simply "continue living happy" after receiving a settlement. What you do have is a whole lot of conjecture and a serious lack of empathy for a depressingly common situation that you didn't experience.

Every woman I know has encountered at least one Harvey Weinstein in their lives. Most of them never received any type of justice or restitution, financial or otherwise - but the ones who had? I'd be willing to bet a fair amount they'd return every penny if it meant men like him ceased to have power in the world, or if they could un-experience what he put them through.

8. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Read that New Yorker article and wow this is the very definition of a sleazy scumbag. Fucking rich dirtbag that used his so called power and money and thought he could get away with everything.

9. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

The boys being boys lax attitude of our current Trump culture is sickening.

10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

carrytheweight likes this.
  11. shawnhyphenray

Regular

No I don’t have actual evidence but I’m the reports, after the settlement one of the women was quoted something along the lines of “it was such a pleasure to work with Harvey”
    I'm just saying that in one of the Times articles, Ms. O'Conner withdrew her complain and said that no further action is required and that she thanks Weinstein for the opportunity to learn about the entertainment industry. I'm not saying nothing happened. I'm just saying that if I was assaulted, I would not just settle for money and let him continue assaulting other women.

12. personalmaps Oct 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 11, 2017)
    personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

It's all well and good to assume what you'd do as a victim of assault when you haven't experienced something like this. As a woman and as a victim of sexual assault, I am clearly able to see the hurt and sarcasm in the phrasing of O'Connor's statement, even if you can't.

Speaking frankly, if you were taken advantage of by a person in a position of power like Weinstein's- so, accosted physically, mentally, and emotionally- and then told you could either take the money and live your life OR have your livelihood, reputation, private life, etc., on and on, threatened and destroyed by him...Most would take the money. These were young women in what seems a hopeless, impossible situation, facing up to one of the richest and most powerful men in the industry. Coercion is a powerful force, not to mention that both articles mention massively restrictive NDAs- it's entirely feasible that the women who said "positive" things were forced into doing so.

Finally, you act like it's as simple as telling one man off- high profile movie stars, execs, everyone around this scumbag, were fighting to keep this under wraps. You tell me you have the fortitude to not only ensure you will never see a second of the life you planned and worked for, but also fight against an entire system trying to shut you up.

No one on this planet would ever enjoy "getting rich" off of their assault or rape. To even insinuate that is an insult to victims everywhere. When it happened to me, I felt it was my fault, because I was the idiot dating an abusive man (a common thread in these articles, if you bothered to ruminate on them). I wanted to put it behind me as quickly as possible, in any way possible, to keep myself from losing my mind. If someone had offered me a bunch of cash and a way to be away from him immediately, I would have taken it to save myself.

Bottom line: the fact that anyone could read these chilling, horrifying stories, have their thoughts turn immediately on the women as opportunists, and assume how one would act in that case proves what a toxic culture we have built. Thoughts like yours are why victims don't come forward.

13. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Just read an article on Yahoo saying Brad Pitt went up to Weinstein in 95 and threatened him if he laid another hand on (then gf) Gwyneth Paltrow. I know from hearing about this, Corey Feldman's "Hollywood Pedophilia Ring" accusation (claiming a lot of A-List actors participate in this) and Burt Reynolds's alleged tell-all book coming out after he dies, the stories will be coming to light sooner than later.

Also, fuck Ben Affleck and everyone else who had first hand knowledge of this and decided not to do anything: Rose McGowan Attacks Ben Affleck Over Harvey Weinstein: ‘You Lie’

skogsraet likes this.
  14. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Why are you twisting my words?

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It was just reported this morning that Ben Affleck groped Hilarie Burton on TRL. Not good considering what Rose has stated.

16. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Not one, but two people have replied to your posts trying to explain how what you said was problematic. I'm going to be #3 and let you know that even if you feel like your words are being twisted, it doesn't change the fact that you're trying to drive the point that the victims in this situation are somehow opportunists. I don't care if that's not your intention. It's what you said, and what you doubled down. It's not up to us to try and educate you on how sexual assault affects victims. Plenty of victims have written entire books on how powerful men use their positions to abuse and silence women. Do yourself a favor and fucking read something.

mercury, Shakriel and kaylasananjou like this.
  17. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I just looked that up and there's a video of the incident

The act itself wasn't caught on camera due to the placement of the microphone but the explanation and her initial reaction confirm that something happened.

18. shawnhyphenray

Regular

I am not at all saying the victims are opportunists! Hear me out.

If someone comes out with something so serious and is very dedicated to telling people about it, but then reach a settlement and basically do a complete 180 and say “everything is okay, don’t worry about what I said,” doesn’t that seem very weird? It makes no sense. If I was a victim and was trying to expose the asshole for what he is, I wouldn’t just take money and shut up, especially after I had already spoken up about it.

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

No not really.

20. personalmaps

Me: you have no way of knowing what you would do if you were assaulted
    This person: uhhhh if I WERE ASSAULTED....

skogsraet and St. Nate like this.
  21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

22. personalmaps

FreshnessExpired and skogsraet like this.
  23. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Aaaand here's probably the worst part of what you wrote here. Thing is, you have no idea what a victim would do because, as this statement suggests, you aren't one.

Being a victim of an abusive or otherwise marginalising situation is absolutely terrifying and often creates an environment or situation where you're silenced or otherwise made to feel completely powerless. Just because you raise your voice once does NOT equal smooth sailing. One obstacle removed doesn't remove them all.

So unless you can get some perspective please, please, please sit down and shut up.

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

mercury and skogsraet like this.