Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harsh Lights - Overthinking ( September 28, 2018 Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, Sep 28, 2018.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

2. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Very dang good EP. I am down for a full LP from these guys

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

@Patterns in Traffic did you guys record this live together or was this like a file sharing project? Would love to hear the process!!

4. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

5. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

6. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

I’m also very psyched we have a thread!

7. Thanks for asking, Sir Teebs, and thanks for the thread!

@Dumblecore and I have never met in person, though I'm sure it would have been lovely to record this live in the flesh with him. He would write and record all of the music and send me the file, then I would write all of the lyrics and melodies, record vocals over his track, and send the vocal tracks back to him.

Usually after that first draft we would start iterating by reacting to what the other person was doing, so on most of the songs Mad Scientist @Dumblecore would rerecord parts, rearrange song structure, and make any other number of crazy revisions in response to whatever vocals/melodies I recorded. And then once I heard his updated version I would usually go back and tweak things, record new vocal takes, change some melodies, add flourishes, etc.

So it was super collaborative and fun writing these songs and working with @Dumblecore on a genre that is a bit of a departure from what I normally write on my own. He has a great ear for this stuff and it was awesome seeing how he got the most out of the songs. For example, "Light the Way" had an entirely different song structure when he first sent me the instrumental demo, and after I recorded the vocals he RADICALLY changed the song (added, subtracted, rearranged, etc). When I first heard what he did with it I (sorry for the blunt honesty) thought it sounded like a bad remix of the song I wrote haha, but once I let go of the version of the song I grew attached to while recording, I realized how freaking awesome the new version was. The chorus of that song was originally an outro, but he was totally right in realizing that hook needed to be repeated as the chorus. It's nice having someone else to help hone the songs like that.

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

amazing that you can write a record with someone today and never have met them. really excited for you guys! Can't wait to hear what you do next.

9. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Put this on Bandcamp so I can give you real monies rather than fractions of pennies.

[​IMG]

10. We do need to get this on Bandcamp! Will work on that. In the meantime we do appreciate your penny pieces

11. Elder Lightning

Cool!

Also, how much would it cost to write me a song inspired by this picture:

[​IMG]

12. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

I’d do that shit for free

13. Elder Lightning

14. New single "Beware of Dog" coming soon

15. Elder Lightning

16. BTDandFeelingThis

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  17. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

18. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

“Light The Way” is my favorite. Also like the second half of the the last song, despite repeating the same line, I feel it to be very effective

19. BTDandFeelingThis

100% agree

20. BTDandFeelingThis

Love the album art btw

21. Thanks for listening and for the feedback! Very cool that everyone is enjoying "Light the Way" so much. Always fun to hear which songs connect with people. We have the mighty @Dumblecore to thank for that one turning out the way it did.

Larry David and Bad Frequencies like this.
  22. Larry David and Bad Frequencies like this.
  23. BTDandFeelingThis

24. Larry David and Bad Frequencies like this.
  25. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious