Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harry Styles - Harry Styles (May 12, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I am surprised how great this album is.

mpflight38 and beachdude42 like this.
  2. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

this is decent. sign of the times is the best thing on here.

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This album reminds me how I felt about Childish Gambino's A,ML. It's good, relies too much on using aesthetic or sounds from a certain period to sound interesting, then actually making interesting or strong songs. Some stuff on here is good (Kiwi, Meet Me in the Hallway) but as a whole it lacks a bit. Def great to hear Harry finally dig deep tho

4. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think the direction of this album is neat and he is a really talented dude, but in the end it feels a little hollow / shallow / generic at times. While his effortless charisma certainly helps make these songs great, i think it's also what makes them feel empty. A lot of the lyrics make the songs feel uninspired or like they've been tested via focus groups and given to harry via the usual superstar hit writing machine.

I was never a 1D fan (never really listened to them), but Sign Of The Times made me look forward to this. I think at its best its a good shot at a fanbase similar to Adele's without alienating his existing fans, and at its worst its just a really bland classic rock influenced record.

sawhney[rusted]2 and thedrudo like this.
  5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It's... okay. I like a handful of tracks but nothing really topped Sign of the Times.

That last track is pretty great though. It's like Ryan Adams took over his body.

Maybevictor likes this.
  6. zmtr

Trusted

Yo I low key love this wtf

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. zmtr

Trusted

Meet Me is a really good song. Damn.

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. Ed59_

Regular

I think it's a pretty good album. Looking forward to seeing him grow as a musician! I see Ryan Adams tweeted his praise for it.

Get Harry Styles on a plane to Pax Am Studios as soon as his tour is over and let him and Ryan Adams jam for 40 days and 40 nights. Some phenomenal songs would come from that session.

9. TMS2787

Trusted

I give this album (three.5 fire emojis)

10. zmtr

Trusted

I've listened to Sweet Creature about 10 times today

11. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I liked this way more on my second listen.

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I like this

13. This record rules

mpflight38 likes this.
  14. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Sounds amazing. Lyrics are vapid. Basically a good start.

15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Pretty much my thoughts. Interesting/cool influences, like the sound of the record more than the individual songs.

16. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Worth listening to just for production alone, though.

beachdude42, zmtr and Aregala like this.
  17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Absolutely. It's wild that the guitarist for this record was also the drummer. He also was working for a pizza place until a few weeks before they started recording lol

18. zmtr

Trusted

Agreed x10

19. zmtr

Trusted

For being a mostly meant for top40 album, this is structured incredibly well. Song placement is on point.

20. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I definitely like this more on repeat listens because of the production quality (which is to be expected, I can't even imagine the budget for this and Jeff Baskher is amazing too). I'm hoping that the vapid lyrics / uninspired writing is something he'll grow out of after a few more releases.

Curious to see how this all translates live though. I have two tickets to his tour in October and have been on the fence about wether I should go or not. On one hand I think he's really talented and his persona / charisma must translate into a really good show, on the other hand I assume the crowd will be rough to say the least (venue cap is 2750) and I keep receiving offers of $500+ for each ticket which I was never seeking but now am having a hard time turning down. I'd appreciate any input from anybody who's seen him / 1D / who knows enough to know if it's worth holding on to the tickets

21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

When my sis saw 1D she said it was so loud with screaming girls that it was hard to hear but so far the live clips people have been posting of him sound so good that I wish he was playing near me

22. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Holy smokes, this is fantastic.

23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Never did like One Direction, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

24. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Listened a few times through now and like it more with each listen.

25. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Pretty much full set from his surprise show at London Garage this weekend:

beachdude42 and Contender like this.