Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harry Styles - Harry Styles (May 12, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I was hoping there would be more glam influenced stuff, but it's a clear progression from the made in the am sound imo. I even liked some of the softboy acoustic jams! Curious to know what you think of the rest thoooooo

beachdude42 and Kiana like this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Always kinda wondered if it was homophobic.

Contender likes this.
  3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I never thought of that actually but now I'm sorta wondering too

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

it made me think people are saying it's like, shit rock. lol

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That's generally how I've taken it too. It has a particular connotation to me that I can't quite put my finger on, but that's pretty close haha

6. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

Genuine question, what bands are tagged with this dumb type of label - I have no idea.

7. cshadows2887

A lot of stuff otherwise (and previously) classed as soft rock: Michael McDonald, Toto, Hall and Oates, Christopher Cross, Kenny Loggins, etc.

8. Wall Of Arms

LIGHTEN UP, BUTTERCUP Prestigious

So weird. I legit don't understand the reference point for that genre name with any artists being diluted and lumped together condescendingly, but hey ho - that's precisely your point among others, so I'm with you.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  9. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This is growing on me quite a bit honestly. Very enjoyable listen.

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I don't hear that one that often, so I guess it bothers me less. I see "dad rock" in a review or article at least once a week.

Haha, my comment wasn't directed at you. I read your use of it as more tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Aregala likes this.
  11. polyfilla

who can never be sure

This is a very, very, very, very, very, good album.

beachdude42 likes this.
  12. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

It just sounds like butt. Poopy.

13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I like the album way more than I thought I would. Its about what I expected re: sort of clicheness (Angel but a devil in the sheets *yawn*) but it's less boring than I anticipated. The only song I didn't care for was Woman but I liked everything else quite a bit. Even the sort of basic songs I think were elevated to me by his charisma and vocals, which have that warm charming tone. I also think I like the previously released songs more in the scope of the album

beachdude42 and Aregala like this.
  14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It's a fun pop rock album that leans heavier on the rock (my opinion) than the pop, if that makes sense? I am curious to see where/what the audience is for this album is. It doesn't feel like a traditional Top 40 pop album, but I can't really imagine many alternative/rock stations picking it up. Regardless, I enjoyed my first listen a lot.

15. eagles1139

Regular

Every time I hear the chorus of Two Ghosts and the "we're just two ghosts swimming in a glass half empty" my brain wants to go "we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl". Every single time

16. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Thought this was pretty solid, and I'm sure it will grow on me more.

17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Would Knuckle Puck's Copacetic be the ideal butt rock album since it sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom?

18. This album is fucking fire

beachdude42 likes this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Hahaha. Fantastic

Aregala likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

You're right that it doesn't sound like much of what's on top 40, but "Sign of the Times" is already a hit, so who knows.

beachdude42 and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  21. shouts23

Hi, I'm Negan ;)

Kiwi is fucking amazing.

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Why do I think of Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones when listening to this

23. Paul Beaumont

Possibly because Only Angel sounds a bit like a slowed down version of 'Doom and Gloom'.

beachdude42 and cshadows2887 like this.
  24. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

They also kind of look alike.

25. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Meet Me in the Hallway is a great opener. Still not a huge fan of Sign of the Times tho