Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harry Styles Comments on Young Music Fans • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Yeah, the bubblegum is what turned me off at first, so I'll probably work my way back from the end.

2. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Absolutely, so did I and many others. But I think it's ingrained in society now with phrases we use and the way you hear others talking, that many people like you and I only learn how immature and uninformed this is when you read quotes such as this.

Harry Styles saying this is good, because even if most males will dismiss it out of ignorance, a minority will pay attention to this, and a lot of young women will realise it's okay to be passionate and unashamed of what they enjoy.

St. Nate likes this.
  3. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

So very true, w/ some exceptions. Anyone that is a fan of PTV, SWS, or BMTH knows a lot of their fans are there because they think Oliver, Kellin and Vic are sexy. It's a sad truth. And what's never really been discussed is that it's gross for guys to crush on female lead singers, and it is, but it's equally unfair to good looking frontmen. There are so many screen names like "MrsOliSykes" or "KellinisSEXY02"

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I don't think it's gross to have crushes. It's gross when it crosses that line to objectification, and given the history of men's violence towards women and the societal implications of that, that's usually why it's treated differently

lxvrx, skogsraet and ConArdist like this.
  5. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Good point, I had to think about this. There really is nothing wrong w/ "I love you Oli!". It's when people think they're gonna marry them, or like you said, objectify. Remember the awful incident where a girl flew to London from the U.S. thinking she was talking to Oli, and the guy killed her! Awful and tragic, triggered by naivete and delusion. In that case the objectification went both ways w/ horrific results. Men definitely pose more of a threat. A topic for another time is how it affects the bands' reputations negatively. I think PTV is a top-notch band given a bad rep by their crazed fanbase.

6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Since I was just at a show where this happened, I'll add that I think one big issue is when fans think it's okay to touch or grab the musician. There was this girl who was up front and wouldn't stop reaching her hand way out in front of her to touch the singers of pretty much every band that played. Eventually I noticed one of the singers stopped coming near her at all. It's one thing if the musician initiates it, but just because they're a musician you love does not give you any right to touch them unwarranted.

7. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

OMG, we really need to talk about males being objectified, too. Just to raise the topic, obviously we must protect our female band members from gropey, dangerous douches. But this thread for a PTV song makes me dead inside.

tyramail likes this.
  8. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Ditto, you said it. No matter what gender, it is wrong. And the fact that people want to reach out and touch the atoms of a rockstar's clothing is so freakin' weird. I'd actually like to investigate how good looking punk bands that have bridged the gender gap(BMTH, Sleeping w/ Sirens, PTV, old Panic!, All Time Low)feel about what IS objectification. Basic bros would love it, but I'm not so sure these (now grown men) are digging it the fangirl stuff. Vic is 34 and treated like a cute little scene boy. It's disrespectful. And I mentioned earlier it gives PTV a VERY bad rap from a lot of casual music fans.

9. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I agree with you. Not to mention a lot of the girls I see do this are underage, I'm pretty sure. It's really weird to me that anyone would think they can touch someone without permission on any occasion. And a lot of these grown ass men have girlfriends, it's just disrespectful on so many levels.