Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harry Potter (Wizarding World Universe) Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Kyle Max, Apr 26, 2016.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I would absolutely read all the books first before touching the movies.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

hmm, I might recommend watching the movies first, so you're familiar with the stories, that way you might be able to appreciate the books a little more knowing what's going to happen, you can pay more attention to the things the movies leave out, or the differences in the way the stories are told.

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

haha, starkly different advice

4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Haha, interesting. I think the journey of reading through the books and finding everything out would be much more rewarding than finding everything out just from watching the movies.

5. dlemert

Trusted

YA'LL AREN'T HELPING. Haha.

6. dlemert

Trusted

I'm thinking of doing each book and then watching the movie immediately after so I can compare/contrast the experiences.

Colby Searcy and Kellan like this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this seems like a good compromise haha

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Read every other book and every other movie

9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

That is acceptable.

Reading the book first is the way to go. Whether you watch the movies all at once after reading them all, or watching after each book, you’ll be better off IMO.

Colby Searcy and awakeohsleeper like this.
  10. Greg

Also, the Potter hot takes today are unreal.

The third movie is one of the best ones.

Mary V, Colby Searcy and Joe like this.
  11. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Absolutely books first. Way too much spoilers if you watched the movies first

12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What movies does everybody feel is truest to the corresponding book?

13. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Just piping up to say Half-Blood Prince is the Empire Strikes Back of Harry Potter, and it is my favorite. Truly some great moments - humor in the romantic antics, intrigue as Tom Riddle's past becomes clearer, unease as the last "normal" year passes by at Hogwarts.

Harry's relationships with Snape and Dumbledore, too.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  14. Mary V Jan 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2018)
    I think Goblet of Fire might be my favourite book. Introducing so many new characters and further world building is a huge highlight. Voldemort is downright terrifying - often a problem I have with stories is that the villain just gives me a "meh" feeling. The story behind Barty Crouch Jr leaving Azkaban is one of the best parts imo. Even S.P.E.W. is great, Hermione was always one of my favourite characters and a character who means a lot to me, and her motivation in creating and pursuing a cause in activism is wonderful!! GoF becomes dark and truly shows what Harry and the rest of the wizarding world is up against. It's all exhilarating. I can't call any of the books weak, I love them all but GoF and Deathly Hallows are incredible. Weakest film is either Order of The Phoenix or Half Blood Prince

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Greg

There is a lot to love about GoF. It is interesting to see Harry have to step up and act as equals to the older champions and show that he way worthy in his own way, even if he didn’t want to compete in the first place.

As much as I adore OOTP, the book, I agree the movie falls short.

Colby Searcy and Mary V like this.
  16. DerekIsAGooner Jan 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2018)
    DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

The new Harry Potter mobile game (the one being developed by Warner Brothers, not Niantic) has a name - Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Here's the game synopsis:

Give me all of the Harry Potter games.

Source: A New Harry Potter Game Will Let Us Live Out Our Hogwarts Dreams in 2018

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Greg

Yes, please!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I finished reading The Deathly Hallows last night - completed all 7 books in 21 days which is not too bad.

I was pleased to enjoy all of the books as much as before. Whereas I know the first four front to back, the final three were a lot more unexpected (I've probably only seen these films once too). I was particularly impressed by The Deathly Hallows which I enjoyed a lot more than my first read back when it was released (probably because I read all 7 books back to back in four days - the joys of being a teenager!) I appreciated a lot more of the finer plot details this time and I think that really enhanced the experience. It was a fitting end - I am very thankful for JK Rowling. She really did a great job tying things together in a satisfying way.

Glad to have re-read them.

20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

midnightxtaylor likes this.
  21. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Can’t say I liked the trailer. Music was very trite imo but still so excited because I love this world.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. DerekIsAGooner

... you can't apparate inside the Hogwarts grounds.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I would assume that wasn't always something that was in place. Maybe that spell or enchantment wasn't set up back in this time.

Colby Searcy and Dodger like this.
  24. DerekIsAGooner

Yeah, I think you're probably right. I hope that the film has a line that addresses this. It's just a nerdy quirk I have about the HP continuity.

That aside, the trailer made me much more excited than I was expecting.

Colby Searcy and Dodger like this.
  25. Greg

Dumbledore apparated on Hogwarts grounds in Half Blood Prince.

They did have a throwaway line about him having perks, but it’s still against what the books established. I can’t fault them for further doing that here.

Colby Searcy likes this.