Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harry Potter (Wizarding World Universe) Book • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Kyle Max, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Definitely. Not only just get everything from the books, but even expanding beyond that. Theres so much real estate for shorter stories. Quidditch. All the different classes. Magical creatures. I also wouldnt mind going away from the Harry Potter lore and setting it later after all of the Voldemort stuff.

awakeohsleeper and RJ Knorr like this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes, I was more thinking Fantastic Beasts and The Cursed Child - the movie adaptions don't really add things in, they just omit details (that are admittedly hard to fit all in when you only have 2 hours to work with). It is the retconning and trying to tie things in that has concerned me. Particularly when she's so good at tying it all together in the seven books - it just seems like she's trying too hard now but making silly decisions that contradict other bits of the work. I'm a huge fan of Rowling - those seven books will always be genius. I just hope she doesn't undermine her literary legacy with all the contradictions found in extra movies, theatre etc.

I haven't seen COG either yet.

coleslawed, Dodger and RJ Knorr like this.
  3. Dodger

Man I’m 200 or so pages into Goblet and this storyline of Hermoine starting SPEW and trying to free the house elves is crazy. Can’t believe nobody agrees with her! Ron, Harry, Fred, George, Hagrid, Mr Weasley. Come on y’all. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  4. Dodger

Fleur is much more of a snob in the book. Wasn’t expecting that

5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

She gets kinda better in later books

Dodger likes this.
  6. Dodger

I’m hoping so for Bills sake. I do like the addition of the veelas and her being part Veela which is why Ron and everyone is fawning over her

7. Dodger Mar 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 2, 2019)
    Dodger

Wow GOF is so different from the movie. It’s blowing my mind. It obviously had to be with the book being so long, but it’s just crazy. This whole Ludo Bagman, Barty Crouch, and Winky storyline is fascinating. Still no idea how it unfolds other than I’m assuming Ludo is a death-eater or somebody nefarious. Maybe it’s Barty Crouch Jr.? Maybe in the book he’s both doubling as Moody and Bagman? Maybe it’s Pettigrew?.

And now I’m confused as fuck as Sirius just said he saw Barty Jr died and being buried?!?! Dafuq?

coleslawed and Mary V like this.
  8. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Heh heh, you’ll understand soon enough.

Matt Chylak and Mary V like this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

The movie definitely gave alot of that away

10. Dodger

Just finished Goblet. It’s very appropriate how long and meandering it is with all its interwoven storylines because after finally finishing, I feel like Harry right now. I don’t really feel like talking about anything that just happened or in this case writing down my thoughts. I’m exhausted. More exhausted than I ever thought I could possibly get from reading a book. I’m shellshocked. More than I thought possible from a story I’ve seen probably 8 or 9 times on screen. Even more than Azkaban. I feel like a dementor just sucked all the happiness from me. However fictional, it viscerally feels like Voldemort is back in real life and it feels like the world is about to change for the worst and Im scared and blame myself lol

also like Harry, I might go on my “summer break”. I’m probably going to wait a few weeks before I start on Phoenix. As much as Ive loved this last month or so reading these 4 books (cant believe how quickly Ive gotten through them) and loved Goblet, I need a break. I started reading because my life is shit right now and needed some magic in my life and reading this book made me more depressed and I know it’s only going to get worse lol

Ill probably write more specific thoughts later since as per usual I have a lot, but for now Ill end it with this.

Fuck Rita Skeeter.

Ill never look at a beetle the same way again.

I hate all of them. Every type of them.

...Because of her.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

12. Dodger

Started back up with reading again. Just finished Order if the Phoenix. I definitely loved it. Once again things make so much more sense now, I love getting inside Harry’s mind and he’s continuing to build as my favorite character ever. That said I also think this book my least favorite so far. No real negatives or anything other than maybe feeling a little too long but mostly I think it’s just the first time I can say that I actually enjoy the movie more than the book. Probably blasphemous to say such a thing but I love the movie a lot and think I like a lot of the changes they made more.

The movie obviously did certainly did leave out a lot that I missed now looking back. I wish they tried keeping the weird shit during the magic battles in general rather than just lights and deflections. Also I don’t know how they took out so much of the scene in Dumbledores office after the battle at the end. Chapter 37 was probably my favorite chapter in any book, my favorite Dumblefore moment, and they didn’t even try to attempt to capture it which honestly is really disappointing.

Excited for Half Blood Prince as I hear that’s a lot of people’s favorites!

13. Dodger Jun 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2019)
    Dodger

Half Blood Prince book thoughts:
    - I can’t describe how helpful reading these books are for me right now in my life specifically reading Harry as a character. While I’m sure everyone can say this and it’s a testament to Joes writing, I’ve never empathized with a character so much. What’s going through his head and all of the psychological shit he’s going through is like a mirror. A part of me deeply regrets never reading these books when I had them as a kid and wonders where the trajectory of my life would’ve gone. But the practical part of me can’t help but be blessed that all the shit I’m going through in my life I’m able to go through with Harry who’s going through the same shit (obviously in a metaphorical sense). Having company for my misery truly is a balm that has filled a hole in my life that nothing in my physical environment could fill.

- I’ve loved book-version Dumbledore so far for sure but he really hasn’t played too much of a factor just like the movies. Then OOTP’s last few chapters really left a huge impact on me and this book finally put me over into saying that Dumbledore is one of my favorite characters ever. He’s become an idle and role model. His calm disposition during an argument or facing ridicule is inspiring and refreshing. Hes humble but confident. He has more power than anyone but only uses it when absolutely necessary and for the benefit of others and not self-aggrandizement. Hes the paragon of balance in mind, spirit, and as a leader. He’s a master. He’s a king. I’m Dumbledore’s man through and through.

(Also fuck Scrimgeour and the Ministry [but I loved their added presence in the story])

- Wow do I love Ginny wayyyyyy more in the book. She’s rad and funny and I love how their relationship plays out.

- Snape. Just wow. I’m blown away by the writing of this character. t’s nice finally knowing why Snape called himself the Half Blood Prince lol that blew my mind. I really wish I could Eternal Sunshine my mind of knowing Snapes story so i could’ve experienced it in book form without knowing what happens. When you know it seems so obvious as she’s kind of leaving clues but I know it’s just because I already know lol when you are first reading those things for the first time those seemingly obvious hints would go over your head.

- I also love how much more you feel Harry’s hate for Snape. I love how Snape heard the prophecy and how he was the one who told Voldy. Then l how Harry ties in the OOTP memory of Snape’s Mud-Blood slur to Lily to his justification and Joe’s red herring for why Snape betrayed Lily as well as James.

- while it wasn’t much I’m glad I have at least some explanation for why both Time Turners and Felix Felicis isn’t used in Deathly Hallows.

- I really appreciate how the movie expanded on Malfoy’s role with showing him failing with the Vanishing Cabinet and the bird. I was hoping to get his perspective in this but I think in both movie and written form respectively what we got was kind of exactly what was needed.

- I loved the stuff after Dumbledores death after the movie. The battle is something I think should’ve been adapted to screen personally. I loved how the Felix Felicis came in to play. But understand why the rest isn’t. Loved the aftermath and the confusion of what to do with Hogwarts and then his funeral.

- my favorite thing this book did was fill in Voldemort past. Wow what a fucking ride. It’s so nice finally filling in the rest of his puzzle and understanding how he became who he is. Knowing more of his psychology transcended him past just a Sauron or Palpatine epitome-of-evil type character to something so much more horrifying and serial-killer-esque.

- I love the obsession with objects/ horcruxes. I love how he treats them like trophies. I love how it’s tied in to his psychology and past. I love getting a sight into his own adventure in trying to find these trophies.

- I had no idea that Marvolos ring was the Resurrection stone. When Marvolo mentioned the crest of peveral or whatever it blew my squibbin mind. so THATS how Albus got that stone.

I can’t wait to read Deathly Hallows. I’m so excited and nervous.

14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I love reading your thoughts @Dodger. And even though you have a lot going on at the moment, I'm glad these books are speaking into that and walking alongside you.

coleslawed and Dodger like this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I'm pumped to finally be able to play this.

17. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I’m so ready to play the hell out of Wizards Unite. I hope it lives up to the hype.

18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

It's live! I just checked in the US app store and it's there. Downloading now!

Edit: According to Reddit, it's a gradual rollout, so you may not see it right away.

Also this:

DerekIsAGooner likes this.
  19. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

20. Dodger Jul 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2019)
    Dodger

Finally finished Deathly Hallows. Easily my favorite of the books. The amount of info left out in the movies that I now know makes me feel like I really never even really experienced the full story until now. Especially with Dumbledores past/family, the sword, and Kreacher. Here are some thoughts as I was reading. Forgive the amount of times I say “love” lol
    • I loved the Dursley’s goodbye with Dudley. I could imagine a big temptation to make it more emotional, but I loved how subtle she played the whole scene. “I don’t think you’re a waste of space.” A handshake. A small smile after calling him Big D. Then capped with Petunia’s hesitating like she was going to say something but doesn’t. All so minuscule of gestures but made sense for the characters we know and still showed that even despite the acrimonious relationship for 15 years they care about each other.
    • I love this mystery of how the Death Eaters found them after Disapparating is more prominent and troubling to all of them and Lupin.
    • I love how the movie added the intro with Hermoine wiping the memory of her parents. Interesting that in the book she kind of just sent them away and didnt know how to do a memory charm on the Death Eaters in the cafe.
    • This storyline of Dumbledore's dubious past and how Harry's reacting is intriguing as hell. In the movies I feel like its barely touched upon until Aberforth's scene at Hogs Meade. Im so curious with his Dad being in Azkaban and everything with his mom and Ariana being a squib that they locked up. Also just like Harry I never knew that the Dumbledore's lived in Godric's Hollow. As well as now Harry being blamed by the MOM for Dumbledore's death now. So much turmoil. Love how Harry's actually questioning his relationship with Albus since he never mentioned any of this. "Had Dumbledore actually cared about Harry at all? Or had Harry been nothing more than a tool to be polished and honed, but not trusted, never confided in?
    • I love the extended stay at Grimmauld Place. The Kreacher section both broke and warmed my heart. I love finally getting an explanation of Regulus' past and how he managed to get the locket and ultimately Harry giving the fake locket to Kreacher. Then the Remus section was brutal. Was NOT expecting Harry to call him out and Remus to stupefy Harry. I was audibly shouting random exclamations during that whole section lol
    • Love getting an explanation as to why kids would go back to Hogwarts at this point. That never made sense to me. Also love getting an explanation with these Patronus messages. I never knew thats what that message was during the wedding warning them the Death Eaters were coming and never knew that spell could be used for that. It makes way more sense now with Snape's.
    • And then Arthur letting the gang know everyone at the wedding and in the Order was safe was interesting. In the movie Ron not knowing his family was alright was such a huge storyline and the tension that gave the movie I really liked. Not that I need it at this point as theres a lot going on but Im interesting to see if that or that huge riff between Ron and Harry comes into play at all or not.
    • Daaaamn. Love the scene in the forest with Griphook, Dean, and Tonks dad. The Sword of Gryffindor stuff always confused me and realizing Dumbledore himself was the one who made the copy and did all that blew my mind. Love how Ginny Neville and Luna tried to steal it and love how Phineus Black or whatever told them about Dumbledore destroying the Horcrux with the sword. Never knew how he did it.
    • Man I love how much more the book incorporates the mental connection with Voldemort. It makes the scene at Malfoy Manor and him discovering the Hallows so much better. Also I love how they work in Voldemort realizing they are hunting the Horcruxes and having him check the places he hid them. It makes everything at Hogwarts trying to find the diadem so much more urgent and tense being constantly reminded he’s on his way and he’s getting more and more PISSED
    • Im glad i finally know what happened with the Dumbledores family and Grindelwald through Aberforth. That was mind blowing and heart breaking.
    • Also the scene with the Carrows in the Ravenclaw common room was crazy and not expected at all! I was astonished when Amycus spit in Minerva’s face AND then when Harry used the Cruciatus Curse And then Minerva using the Imperius curse all in like a page and a half. So intense and I guess our heroes are using Unforgivable Curses now! Lol
    • I loved the ending woth Harry and Voldy fighting in the Great Hall and Harry kind of psychologically beating him by explaining how Snape betrayed him and how he was the rightful owner of the wand.
    Overall i fucking adored the book and loved the whole series so much. Loved every one of them. I’m already excited to reread on the future.

Favorites Ranking of the books:
    Deathly Hallows
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Goblet of Fire
    Half Blood Prince
    Philosophers Stone
    Chamber of Secrets
    Order of the Phoenix

21. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

22. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Just let it be, J.K.

It's already perfect

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, none of the HP movies are perfect, but they're mostly good enough where it's best to leave em alone

24. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Might have spent 65€ on a Hermione Nendoroid at a con yesterday

3BDFBE47-A1A6-40F8-A87B-DFE8D0579BBD.jpeg

colorlesscliche and Colby Searcy like this.