Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Harriet Tubman Will Replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 Bill

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Micah Singleton, writing for The Verge, on how Harriet Tubman will be replacing Andrew Jackson on the twenty dollar bill.

In a surprise move, Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, one of the most heavily circulated bills in the world, according to a report from Politico. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew will announce the change later today, according to the report. This marks a big win for Woman on 20, the movement to put a woman on the face of US paper currency for the first time in nearly a century.

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Can't wait for people to go nuts about this. It is a good thing. Harriet Tubman is (should be) more of a national hero than Jackson. I still think Martin Luther King Jr should have that honor. He's the best this country has ever produced.

3. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Heard the earliest it could happen is 2030. Would be nice to see it sooner, but a great move regardless.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

When I first saw this, I didn't know if it was true or not. I guess I just sort of thought that our currency is something that I wouldn't see changed in my lifetime. Very glad that this is happening. Certain people will undoubtedly lose their shit over this, but great move by the Treasury Department.

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  5. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I mean, we'll see the design in 2020. I can't believe it takes a decade for it to be in circulation.

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Not sure if it's just my modern bias but I feel like someone from the 20th century should have gotten the honor. Eleanor Roosevelt or Rosa Parks would've gotten my vote.

7. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I mean my vote was for Sarah Silverman personally, but it's nice to see this happening regardless.

8. Jacob Davidson

Regular

people mad about this should just boycott the Treasury. That'll really stick it to them.

9. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Harriet Tubman is hardcore. This is pretty cool!

10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Andrew Jackson is easily my least favorite president. It will be great to see Harriet Tubman replace him.

NotBruce likes this.
    GooberSandwich, Mokena and Timmiluvs like this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

13. NotBruce

Regular

Can't wait for my dad to only read headlines and freak out over American values being replaced or something.

14. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

She had some dope ass shit planned out.

15. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

FWIW Jackson will still be on the bill, but he'll be moved to the back of the bill with the depiction of the White House.

He is also my least favorite president. Huge racist and really cruel to Natives. I'm stoked on Harriet being on the front but I wish the treasury had the balls to take him off altogether.

16. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

I think people on both sides are blowing it way out of proportion, and getting upset and defensive over some trivial bullshit.

Nobody asked for my opinion, but I'll give it anyway: we should remove everybody from our currency, and they should be replaced with national monuments, national parks, and excerpts from our founding documents (Declaration of Independence and the Constitution namely). America has historically been a meritocratic country, where anybody could make something of themselves if they put in the effort; it is in this nature that I make this suggestion - honoring ideas on their merit and not because of their source.

Our founding fathers were brilliant men, and their ideas have lasted much longer than they did, and it is their ideas that we should honor.

17. Are people really upset?

18. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I haven't seen a single upset person

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, usually this is the type of thing that makes you want to avoid social media, but honestly I haven't seen anyone expressing anger. Very refreshing.

20. The Pharmacist

Legal Drug Dealer Prestigious

Racists were upset that the hunger games cast a black child to play the part of a black child because they didn't read the book thoroughly. The racists sure will freak out about this.

21. [​IMG]

22. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I've honestly seen way more people assuming that people will be pissed off about this than I have people actually upset about it. I'm sure there are plenty out there but other than some dumb-dumbs on Facebook I haven't heard anyone complaining about this. I mean, my friends and the people I associate with also aren't racist assholes for the most part so maybe that's partially why.

23. robargarthan

I mean, isn't this the issue of today though with white privelege and everything? America still isn't 100% a place where anyone can do anything within reason and be on a level playing field, though we'd like to believe it. I get where you're coming from about using monuments and ideas, and I really quite like it but I think it's important to honor these people as we as we have with less honorable ones like Andrew Jackson.

24. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Imgur Image