Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Happiest Season (Clea Duvall, November 25,2020,Hulu) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 30, 2020.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Very much looking forward to this. Always in on KStewart and Clea Duvall is always good so very curious about her directing.

Orla likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Orla likes this.
  4. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Always into whatever Clea does, and the cast of this is icing on the cake. Watching it will definitely be on the agenda for me this Thanksgiving.

5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

very fun trailer

Orla likes this.
  6. Looks cute

Orla likes this.
  7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Looks positively splendid.

Orla likes this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Cool

9. trevorshmevor Nov 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 26, 2020)
    This was okay. Really great performances all around and very nice holiday feels. The entire fish bit with John was hilarious and I would definitely watch a show that revolved solely around his friendship with Jane lol.

The scene with Lapkus and Simons was unexpected and had me cackling. Kinda felt like it was from an entirely different movie, but was glad it was there.

I know Harper’s inconsiderate behavior can basically all be boiled down to her fear and stress about coming out, but maaaan she walked a thin line. In a slightly less nuanced situation I’m saying she’s actually just a huge asshole tbh. For a while I kind of hoped this was maybe teeing up for Abby to gracefully make peace with Harper’s decision to stay closeted and then start dating Riley. But also understand how that could be a problematic story for other reasons

figureitout, RyanPm40, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  10. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

This movie was fine. Best scene was the Lapkus scene. Harper had no personality for pretty much 3/4s of the movie.

11. Orla

I thought it was fine. Most of the characters didn't feel particularly well-drawn, which would make sense for a Hallmark or Lifetime Christmas movie, but given the talent of the cast, it felt like kind of a waste. Also unlike a Christmas movie from one of those TV networks, I didn't feel there was enough cheesy charm to make up for it.

There were definite bright spots, though. The heart-to-heart between John and Abby about coming out to parents was moving, and Aubrey Plaza was fantastic. Also yeah, that scene with mall security did feel out of place, but I had a good laugh from it too.

12. Orla

@Meerkat have you watched this yet? Interested in your opinion on it.

Meerkat likes this.
  13. I thought this was pretty great

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

this was so bland

15. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Just finished it! It was exactly what I expected it to be: balance of fun and charm and then twisting a few gay knives in my heart. I wasn’t looking for it to like, reinvent the wheel or anything. I was hoping for a gay holiday rom-com and that’s exactly what I got. The whiteness and cis-ness in this was actually fairly distracting to me and it’s long overdue for any movie but especially queer movies to be more inclusive. I thought the cast was great though and I know I’ll watch it again in the future. Crossing my fingers for a Riley centered sequel for sure.

Also while I’m typing, I think in regards to the question of “do we still need coming out stories” there’s always going to be a place for those as long as there’s still discrimination and such. I think there absolutely needs to be a balance and we could use some additional stories being told aside from coming out and sad period pieces but hopefully we’re moving towards more options there as well.

RyanPm40, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Orla like this.
  16. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I liked this a lot.

17. Zilla Nov 26, 2020
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I was on the fence with most of it, but yeesh, when it went from Harper straight up denying her relationship with Abby to a person getting a painting bashed over the head like it was a "Meet The Parents" movie - That's a weird tonal shift.

It does kind of redeem itself in the scene with John and Abby about coming out. That worked better than most of the movie.

RyanPm40, Orla and trevorshmevor like this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I loved this, also cool seeing how much of it was shot around where I live. I fell off my skateboard in front of a ton of people right by that Oyster Bar Dan Levy and KStew walk by in the first half of the movie, I basically used to live in the mall she got arrested at.

I agree that Harper was kind of shitty for a lot of the movie, I was kind of hoping Abby would end up with Riley.

Marry Holland was perfect, Tippy revealing she always wanted to do Karate was great, and yeah the Lapkus/Simons scene was a totally different movie but it cracked me up.

imthesheriff, Drew Beringer and Orla like this.
  19. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Yeah speaking from experience, I think it’s always a thin line. There’s real trauma that could land on Abby and definitely Riley’s shoulders from it all but it’s also a response from an unhealthy upbringing so it’s all just a giant mess. I felt like they gave a pretty fair look at both Abby and Harper’s perspective and was grateful they showed Riley getting an apology, even if it wasn’t really fleshed out as much as it deserved

20. trevorshmevor Nov 26, 2020
    For sure. I think Harper’s having siblings that also faced their own struggles really helped to drive home how much pressure she was under too. But yeah some of the things she did in this were selfish on a level beyond just strictly self preservation that I hardly feel were redeemed by her finally coming out. She just seems in general like an extremely manipulative person, closeted or not lol.

RyanPm40 and Drew Beringer like this.
  21. Cute fun movie - Levy and Stewart were perfect

it wrapped up a little too neatly but that’s expected - would have loved an extra 15-20 minutes

love that this movie exists

DrAlanGrant and TJ Wells like this.
  22. “I don’t have any secrets but I’m an ally” made me smile.

23. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Honestly, it’s just lovely to have a queer Christmas rom-com that doesn’t look like it had a McDonald’s Dollar Menu-esque budget.

Cast is great. Some of the usual tropes, and definitely wraps up super neat, super quick. But, I enjoyed it more than I didn’t and definitely can see myself watching it every year.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I loved this, definitely agree that Harper came across real bad in most of this. Would have loved a little more time at the beginning with her before getting to the family so it doesn’t just seem like she’s always this terrible.

Only other complaint I have is that I really wish Riley would have gotten a bit more of a resolution. Would have loved to see her in the one year later section, even if it was just a smile and wave.

25. For real tho big ups to Aubrey Plaza maybe finally making the jump to roles that aren’t so..... Aubrey Plaza. I like her a lot but would really love to not see her become pigeonholed to “sarcastic millennial” forever. She was great in her scenes here