Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hamilton (Broadway Musical)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Craig Ismaili, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

A thread for those who have listened to the cast recording or those who are some of the lucky few who have actually seen the musical on Broadway.

I don't have 200-400 dollars per ticket to spend, but I will be seeing this play someday. I can't stop listening to the cast recording. There isn't a particularly big Broadway contingent from what I've noticed over on AP.net, but maybe people will be more into it in the chorus community.

2. I'm not well-versed in musicals, but I really enjoy the cast recording. My roommate is obsessed - she flew to New York and paid $600 for a ticket to see it. She said it was totally worth it though.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Can't wait for my inevitable children's high school to do their version of this.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Cool to see a Broadway thread!

Though I haven't listened to this yet... I have a few friends who keep pushing me to listen. I need to commit to this asap. I feel bad for Waitress- opening the same year as Hamilton pretty much guarantees it won't win the Tony.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

If you plan on seeing the Broadway play I almost would say not to listen to it. I sometimes regret listening to it because I feel like seeing it in person first would've blown my mind. But it's just so special, even in the cast recording, that I'm just glad I have it in my life

fenway89 likes this.
  6. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

This cast recording is amazing. I listen to it a ton. I plan to see the musical one day as well and I think I will be prepared to follow the story more and that will help me to be immersed in the experience more.

I don't normally keep up with Broadway musicals/theater, although I like musicals in general, but this really grabbed my attention and hasn't let go.

7. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I wish I could snag tickets to it! I have friends who have spent an obscene amount of money on tickets. I just can't justify it.

8. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Love everything about Hamilton. I may sell a kidney for tickets.

9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Spent most of last night showing my family/friends at a gathering my favorite songs from the show and finally had to stop and say "Okay at a certain point we're just going to end up listening to the whole show tonight". Which I would not have had a problem with.

Borrowing the Chernow biography from my dad, really looking forward to it. He showed me Miranda's performance of "Alexander Hamilton" at the White House some years ago and it was really great.

10. carina

yr royal highness

Hamilton is probably the first OST that I've listened to that has really hooked me in the last few years. I think Book of Mormon was the last to do so? (And it also had a decent buzz, but not to this extent.) Just the idea of Alexander Hamilton's story being "hip hop" because he wrote himself into having greater access is incredibly creative, and I'm looking forward to seeing the touring show.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I listen to this a lot.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. ramomcferno

That was neat to watch. Miranda's passion and personality really shined through there and it is neat to see how dedicated he was to this vision to take it from there to a solid out show on Broadway. Well done sir!

I don't know what tickets will be like when it goes on tour but I hope I get a chance to see it live.

13. Sophos

Regular

ive only had time to listen to the first two tracks but they certainly caught my ear more than any other broadway musical ever has. ill have to get around to the rest when i have the time

14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Glad you gave it a shot. It definitely goes in really fascinating musical directions from those first two songs on. Would love to hear your thoughts on the rest when you get a chance to catch it.

15. Nathan

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, video of the cast performing at the White House. Don't have the time to watch it yet but very much looking forward to doing so this evening

16. ramomcferno

Those pictures are great and I have been meaning to watch that video so thank you for the reminder.

Nathan likes this.
  17. personalmaps

"my shot" gets me so hyped.

i'm also really upset that i live in a world where i have shed real tears over the fate of a fictionalized version of a founding father.

18. carina

yr royal highness

"who lives, who dies, who tells your story" always always comes on shuffle when i'm driving home from work and i get teary eyed every time

19. ramomcferno

There are so many tracks I love on this but I guess the ones I keep going back to are:

The opening number, The Cabinet Battles, and the Prince George III songs.

20. Nathan

"Wait for It" is probably my personal favorite. I listen to the first act way more, particularly "My Shot", "Helpless", and "Yorktown". Love that Hercules Mulligan.

I love the second act too but rarely have the emotional fortitude to put it on as I do stuff like I do with act one.

21. carina

yr royal highness

"Satisfied" is my car karaoke song.

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Saaaaaame. It's the most incredible song on here I think

fenway89 likes this.
  23. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I love when that last layered vocal and epic drums bit comes in at the end. Gets me so amped every time.

Nathan likes this.
  24. personalmaps

mine is "my shot" except it's embarrassing because obviously i am...not good...at rapping. kill those chorus harmonies tho.

PyramidPostcard likes this.
  25. carina

yr royal highness

PyramidPostcard likes this.