Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Halsey Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by personalmaps, Mar 15, 2016.

1. TMS2787

Trusted

Anything after Strangers

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Heaven in Hiding, Walls Could Talk, Angel On Fire

polyfilla likes this.
  3. irthesteve

not true. She mixed the three bonus tracks into the middle of the album.

4. polyfilla

who can never be sure

ah - so a similar approach to what she did with badlands. Walls Could Talk and Angel on Fire are some of my faves on the album

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

It's not an immediate hit with me like Badlands was, but given my initial lukewarm reaction to Now or Never and how it's stuck in my head all the time now, I'm sure it'll grow on me. I think her songs are always better in the context of the album, and that's definitely true here. A lot of cool and interesting ideas happening - I think her next album will really solidify all of the things she wants to do into something more streamlined. In the meantime, it's nice to see her step out of Lido's shadow as a musician and really go for it on some of these. Even the songs I don't like as much still have something cool about them.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. Woah. I could've written this post, haha. Agree with every word, this record is boring as hell. If you're gonna play it this safe, at least make sure to throw some solid hooks in there.

7. irthesteve

I was wrong by one track. Walls Could Talk IS standard edition, Don't Play is the 3rd bonus track. I think Don't Play is one of the worst tracks from this thing, so it was a good cut

8. polyfilla

who can never be sure

hahaha I love don't play it's ridiculous

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

gave it a shot because i like lido and cashmere cat and thought maybe she's improved or id be able to get over my qualms with her style and like the music. neither of those things happened, i still find her a pretty boring songwriter and while she's obviously not a bad singer i just cant stand the way she sings if that makes sense. probably not. anyway the only thing i liked was walls could talk, until the hook, which contains a terrible production choice with the distortion. also what's with cashmere cat writing the same track about a hundred times with "hopeless" i swear he's made a track in that style a dozen times now and its getting old.

10. goation

Regular

I want to like this but on first listen it's very boring. Which is a shame because Halsey's whole big tour is going to be on a bunch of sleepy alt pop songs.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. and Charli XCX is opening for her right ? gonna be such a drastic change

irthesteve likes this.
  12. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Really wanted to love this - kind of bothered to learn that Angel on Fire is a bonus track because on first listen I found that to be the best track by a long shot. I loved Badlands (save for a few songs, *cough*New Americana*cough*) and was hoping this would really elevate her. All in all I feel like it's a much more confident effort if that makes sense, which I can appreciate, though I feel like the obvious impact of her producers/influences is really bleeding through a bit more this time around. Some of these songs literally sound like The Weeknd/Justin Bieber/Rihanna songs except with Halsey's voice on top of them, which is pretty disappointing. Maybe I'll like it more on the next listen, but it's just kind of unexciting right now.

13. irthesteve

it was killing me what "Sorry" reminded me of, the chorus specifically. but I figured it out

skogsraet likes this.
  14. irthesteve

"Good Morning" also seems inspired by her love for Panic at the Disco

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

"Alone" super reminds me of the Death of a Bachelor vibe too.

16. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Tbh I really like this album but just about every track sounds really similar to something I've heard before. At first I thought maybe that's just cause a lot of pop music uses the same vocal melodies but idk...

17. irthesteve

I think that's a fair assesment of the album, and honestly Halsey in general currently. She isn't a bad artist, nor does she make bad music, but originality is severly lacking. Nearly every song you can point to and say "oh it sounds like ____," which isn't great. I think that the point that any artist would want to get to is where someone says "oh that sounds like Halsey" or "that sounds new"

skogsraet likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

skogsraet likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

skogsraet likes this.
  20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I'm responsible for 5 copies ngl

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I don't know if I should be surprised but I am, also so excited for her

22. Inna Selez

Regular

Congrats Halsey! :clap:

23. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

Loving the iconic blue hair and most of all Halsey's iconic voice. She really has a great bond with her supporters.

skogsraet likes this.
  24. Inna Selez

Regular

25. Inna Selez

Regular