Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Halsey Profiled at Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Alex Morris, with a fantastic profile of Halsey for Rolling Stone:

She’s also, perhaps not coincidentally, really good at getting into stuff. A little more than two years ago, Halsey was not actually Halsey, she was Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, a 19-year-old community-college dropout, couch-surfing between basements in her native New Jersey and the Bed-Stuy/Lower East Side hovels of a badass, tatted-up crowd of “degenerate stoners” she met through her boyfriend two years before that, back when she was an arty, misfit high school kid taking AP classes and roaming the halls covered in paint. She’d gotten into the well-regarded Rhode Island School of Design, and then learned that she couldn’t afford to go. She’d found the college she could afford a waste of time.

2. Will Montei

Holy shit. She's quite the character.

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

That was honestly quite a fascinating read... I feel like a lot of people growing up will know someone like that, who has the gift of talent or amazing creativity, yet is also cursed with a lot of misfortune, whether it be a rough family situation, struggles with mental illness, or even just the inability to reconcile the things that make them different with trying to live a normal life. I read that piece and pictured some friends I had growing up, some of which I'm still in touch with today. The difference is that she has had a level of success that will force her to live out those continuing struggles in the public light. I genuinely wish all the best for her going forward, and I think I'll revisit her album today.

Will Montei and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  4. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

This is weird, and I haven't really listened to Halsey other than what I've heard on the radio, but I sat next to her mom on a flight from Newark to San Francisco like a year and a half ago. She was very nice, but also very, very loquacious, and seemed really proud of her daughter and quite content. Definitely didn't get the impression she had a rough upbringing like this at all.

5. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

She's certainly had tough times but I wouldn't say a rough upbringing. She's always spoken very highly of her parents and said she had a happy childhood.