Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HAIM Fire Their Booking Agent • Page 6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ihaveblink

Regular

The fact FOB is not on Atlantic would prove otherwise that no, it wasn't assumed in 2004 that they or every other FBR band was on Atlantic. Hence why our friend kaylasananjou was confused. That came a little later.

I don't get the hostility here.

2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Was having a similar conversation about that the other day. I think people were just extremely territorial in the 00's of their scene and since digital streaming and festivals have, essentially, made all scenes obsolete it just doesn't matter anymore which is great since all those arguments were insufferable back in the day.

3. Fall Out Boy signed in 2003. To a deal with Island and FBR. Paramore signed in 2005 under a deal with Atlantic/FBR. So did a lot of other bands. Everyone knew the deal with Atlantic happened in 2004. After Fall Out Boy. Yes, it was assumed that the bands that signed with FBR, and had "Atlantic Records" on their albums, that were signed under the deal with FBR/Atlantic had an upstream deal with the label. Because we knew this happened.

Here's JJ explaining it:
    So we did this deal—I had had a similar deal before, when I’d signed Fall Out Boy and we had worked something out with Island, so there was an upstream there also. But the people who were at Island had left and now were at Warner, so we ended up doing this deal with them.

4. ihaveblink

Regular

This is what I said.

5. No, it's not.

6. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

another attempt at delegitimizing the fandom of teenage girls. what do Paramore, Fall Out Boy, and Panic! at the Disco all have in common besides upstream deals? A huuuuuuuge fanbase made up of girls. And we all know the early/mid-00s scene was all about making sure everyone knew the REAL and SERIOUS bands were, idk, Brand New and whatever else y'all listened to.

BirdPerson, Kiana, littlejohn and 3 others like this.
  7. Phil507

While we're sort of on the topic to lighten things up:

After Laughter > Mania, American Beauty/American Pyscho
    Save Rock And Roll > Paramore (self-titled)
    Brand New Eyes > Folie
    Infinity On High > Riot
    Riot > FUCT
    Take This To Your Grave > All We Know Is Falling

8. "Real music"

People still do it.

9. Phil507

Who was delegitimizing these fanbases?

10. ihaveblink

Regular

Not until 2005. Hence my point. FOB predates all of this. Again, I am not wrong.

11. personalmaps

were you just not around in this scene in those days or what? I was very fringe and I still caught some of the vitriol from "real" emo fans and "real" punk fans. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be but it was a very bad time to be a teenage girl who like a band that didn't make the gatekeepers happy.

BirdPerson, Joe4th, Arry and 3 others like this.
  12. ihaveblink

Regular

every band under the sun pissed somebody off seemingly.

13. somethingwitty

Trusted

I always thought the argu
    A fan is a fan...and good for those bands for embracing it! Regarding Brand New, maybe its a good thing more tween/teenage girls weren't into them because we know how that ended.

kaylasananjou likes this.
  14. You are if you're talking about Paramore and virtually every band signed to FBR after FOB.

15. Hell, you can read my review of the album in 2007 and see me being dismissive:

Paramore - Riot! • chorus.fm
    Oh, how I wanted to hate this album.

After the release of their debut, All We Know is Falling, I sat back and watched this band become the talk of our little website. I guess when you have a large enough group of pubescent boys together, any female immediately becomes a discussion topic. This phenomenon has led to countless threads discussing the lead singer of this band (a girl for those not in the know) and her dating habits, relative “hotness,” fashion sense, and just about any other topic not related to her band’s music. So when this album arrived in my mailbox, I was, to put it mildly, not in the mood to give it the time of day. So I did the rational thing: I ignored it. I hid it on my shelf and pretended it never arrived. Didn’t even open the CD case once. Mature? I know.

I got mocked for liking Fall Out Boy and other pop-punk bands and felt like I had to hide my love for Paramore for quite a long time because the internet was so hostile about it.

16. ihaveblink

Regular

Yes. I'm specifically talking about Paramore and Fall Out Boy. It wasn't assumed you were on a major if you were on FBR, hence why FOB wasn't getting shit for it. Especially in 2005 when this was brand new.

17. Yes. It. Was.

I don't know how many other ways to write it. It was, it happened! I got a text from Pete when they signed the Island/FBR deal in like 2002 when I was a sophomore in college and I wrote about it on my website!

18. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

That was my experience too, for being a my chemical romance fan. It’s still weird to see how well loved they are now with the same guys who mocked them for having a teenage girl fanbase. It sucks cause I remember being 13 and genuinely believing the bs about how i was somehow immature or “too girly” for....liking what I liked? Smh

19. Phil507

I was around. Pretty much any band that was poppy had the same comments thrown at them and I was already on the older side (21-22) at the time so feel like I just ignored most of it.

20. ihaveblink

Regular

Yup. Not Atlantic.

21. Phil507

The two bands I remember receiving unanimous unflattering comments were Simple Plan and Good Charlotte. Pretty much any post about them usually resulted in an onslaught of homophobic slurs and complaints of being "corporate". Now on this site, only fans of theirs bother to comment so the hostility has been removed.

22. TuneYouOut

Newbie Supporter

At 29 I still have a hard time shaking the whispering mentality that the bands I like aren't "cool" or "legit" because they have teen girl fanbases. Being a 16 year old girl and loving Fall Out Boy in 2005 wasn't easy because they weren't Saosin or BN or whoever.

23. ihaveblink

Regular

It's kind of weird to argue with yourself, but you do you man.

24. personalmaps

I mean the common denominator of what you're talking about and what I'm talking about is still primarily "bands that had strong female fanbases." I was there and I experienced it- the vitriol was because of being "not punk/emo enogh" and "for girls." You can't separate the two. It was and remains, sadly, a gendered issue.