Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HAIM Fire Their Booking Agent • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. :ok:

SuNDaYSTaR and Zilla like this.
  2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

My other favorite thing that men do is start a “conversation” by wildly insulting women based on zero information and then say “i was just trying to be chill the whole time, why is everyone so upset?”

3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Lol. This is some next level shit:

1) comes into thread and calls HAIM spoiled brats and then proceeds to make up facts about them possibly not understanding that headliners get paid more.

2) Doubles down by making up more facts about how this was a radio festival with a weird pay structure and pay cuts or some shit.

3) then, when called out, acknowledges that few facts were ever provided, inherently admitting that your wild speculation was bullshit, before cautioning others not to jump to conclusions.

4) Calls for civil discourse.

4. bestofmoss

Regular

yeah and they seem very friendly with their banter and whatnot too. i never got a brat vibe.

KidLightning likes this.
  5. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Well, to be fair, to get the “brat vibe” you need to think that taking an interest in the success of your career is somehow “bratty” behavior.

6. bestofmoss

Regular

No doubt. i Should have said their friendliness gives off the opposite of a brat vibe

KidLightning and scottlechowicz like this.
  7. Analog Drummer

Regular

I can’t back HAIM unless they’re gonna disclose more. For all we know they’re complaining about not getting as much as Metallica or Foo Fighters

Brent likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I just saw Haim sell out at a 6,000 person venue and it sold out immediately and they opened for the biggest pop star on earth, they're definitely a festival draw

9. :facepalm:

KidLightning likes this.
  10. poormarcowhy

Good for them!

KidLightning likes this.
  11. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

I am in no way surprised it's you who said this.

Arry, KidLightning and Jason Tate like this.
  12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I know y’all are pretty much raised to gaslight, but women are actually pretty much always not crazy or overreacting to sexism in their field of work.

awwgereee, oldjersey, Connor and 10 others like this.
  13. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I just came here to say HAIM are awesome.

14. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I do university surveys for money and one of the more popular "questions" is "women are greatly over-exaggerating problems in the workplace" with a range of answers from strongly disagree to strongly agree.

i cringe to think what the majority of responses are to that one and i am glad i am not the one giving the surveys

KidLightning likes this.
  15. xthisislove

Regular

I actually really like the band and follow them and I’ve never really heard of any behind the scenes drama to elude they’re brats. Care to elaborate?

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  16. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I think the term "Spoiled brats" was harsh and I regret using it and stirring up any drama/offending anyone. Basically, they have had music industry connections from day one due to their parents so have heard from sources that they demand certain set times and playing right before headliners. There's nothing wrong with coming from privilege and many popular festival acts (The STrokes, Interpol to name a few) have come from well-to-do families.

I also think that them airing this kind of dirty laundry in the press is poor form, especially without providing the proper context. What likely happened is that they co-headlined an event with a male act and the male act was paid 10x more which, justifiably, they would be pissed about. However, they didn't provide that detail so that's why I raised the initial point that it doesn't make sense to automatically jump to the conclusion that they were paid less due to being female. Additionally, them being paid less probably has more to do with their booking agent negotiating a shitty deal then anything else.

xthisislove likes this.
  17. Phil507

They are a big festival draw, usually sub-headliners. They're just not yet at Beyonce/Rihanna/Kanye West level of draw.

18. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

airing this not-at-all-dirty-laundry is important because women still get paid a fuck ton less than men and dudes like you come in this thread being like "nuh uh, spoiled brats" and STILL making up your own facts "what likely happened"

like come on man

Arry and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  19. Phil507

Yeah, perhaps that's what they in bird culture consider a "Dick move" but that was not my intention. My only point is that I don't think is a case of women being paid less than men for the same services rendered. We don't know the contracts for the festival nor do we know who headlined or who played in what position. You're correct that I was speculating but, this being a message board responding to news articles, I figure that's pretty par for the course.

20. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

i need you to re-read this, because you put it out of order:
    so i am curious, how do you know the second part?

21. Phil507

I don't KNOW, hence I wrote "I think". Pure admitted speculation on my part. I personally don't interpret it as discriminatory but that's merely my interpretation.

22. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

i invite you (and the other guys in this thread) to reflect on why when a woman/women say "X happened so we did Y" the first reaction you have is "X didn't happen"

KidLightning and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  23. Phil507

Gotta get some sleep soon so this will be my last for the evening. I'd like to invite you to point out where I said "x didnt happen". I never stated that Haim was NOT paid less than a male act. My questions/comments were more around the WHY. Why was Haim paid less for the gig than the male act? Was it due to them being an all-female act or was it due to their agent not negotiating a similar contract as the male artist's agent?

24. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

no you're right, you came in saying they were spoiled brats and then assumed they were ...idk even what you were going for...like they wouldn't know the difference in pay between headlining and support?

mercury likes this.
  25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

one of my favorite chorus dot fm things is when people strut in and spout off sexist or racist or insensitive things and then when people call them on it and hold them to it they get all upset because “we gang up on people here and cant just have normal debate.”