Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gundam (Gunpla and anime)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by xapplexpiex, Jun 9, 2020.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’ve been really getting into Gundam lately. I finished the original series, the movie trilogy, and am on The 08th MS Team series now. The War in the Pocket OVA blu-ray is on its way and I hear that’s one of the best.
    I don’t know if I want to get into the models, just because I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment and have no more shelving space.
    What are your favorites? Do you have any favorite models? What should I watch after War in the Pocket?

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  2. bwh0005

[]

War In The Pocket is a masterpiece imo. After that I would suggest watching Stardust Memory since it sets up the Titans Faction in Zeta Gundam. Once you finish Zeta, suffer through the first half of Double Zeta, since the second half is extremely important for Gundam Unicorn & Chars Counter Attack. Next comes Chars Counter Attack, then Gundam Unicorn. For Unicorn, I suggest watching the original OVA over the cut up tv run they did. Gunpla gets extremely addicting tbh, I started building in Elementary school after finding random gundam videos on YouTube. If you wanna get into gunpla I would recommend starting off with HG 1/144 if you’ve never built a plastic model before. Some kits I would recommend are the zaku origin kits, Moon Gundam (it’s from a manga but in series is a repurposed prototype of the Sazabi.), but if there’s any certain mobile suits you like go for those as long as the kit isn’t extremely old (the oldest I would go is kits released in 2009 maybe 2008.) If you want more of a challenge, go with a MG 1/100. For MG’s I would suggest the Gundam NT-1 “Alex” from war on the pocket or Rx-78-02 The Origin version.

3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Sweet. Thanks for all this.

bwh0005 likes this.
  4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I want to watch more of the older stuff. I grew up on Wing and G-Gundam. Kinda fell off with SEED.

If you ever get a chance to go to Japan, this is in Ota. The is a 'museum' on the top floor of the mall there. Its mostly just a place you can buy a model of ANY Gundam that has ever existed. Such a cool place.

xapplexpiex and bwh0005 like this.
  5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Got this at a hobby shop by my house. Excited to build my first one.
    C1A624EC-603B-4878-9488-E5DAB6DF72C6.jpeg

Contender and flask like this.
  6. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

It ended up looking really cool. I’m almost done with Iron Blooded Orphans and plan on getting the Barbatos model from it soon.

D0416D86-EBFE-471B-9A29-9E528C00DF14.jpeg

7. WanderingSquall

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to watch through Wing. Which prompted to continue watching some, mostly through Hulu, and ended up going through 00, Seed, Seed Destiny, and half of 08th MS. Seed is my favorite that I've gone through so far, something about the setting, characters, and mobile suits, all mesh together for me nicely.

Came down off the Gundam high after watching Destiny. While I liked the returning characters, few, if any, of the new characters really appealed to me, and the story felt copy and pasted from Seed, which kept me wondering why it was completely necessary.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Haha those are all the ones I haven’t seen yet. I plan on watching 00 or Wing after IBO.

9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I used to buy gundam models as a kid and all I remember is how badly my fingers hurt doing it haha

been kind of debating buying one recently, I don't think I have the patience anymore

10. emojedi

Trusted

Girlfriend and I recently got into this. Super fun. Mainly do Gundams and Eva when we want something more challenging but if we want something simple we have been doing Chopper ones from One Piece

xapplexpiex likes this.
  11. flask

Trusted Supporter

Did this back in May. Probably gonna pick up an EVA figure next. I find model kits a good way to mindlessly zone out and chill. This was especially helpful back when lockdown was in full swing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. WanderingSquall

00 is essentially Wing redone for a newer audience, it's got some very similar characters and story beats. I'd say it's still worth watching on its own, plus 00 has one of the best intros in my opinion, DAYBREAK'S BELL by L'Arc-en-Ciel.

Wing is the first Gundam series I've seen so it's nostalgic for me, but one worth watching as well. The suits are some of the most memorable for me.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I tried rewatching Wing recently and thought it was brutal, super corny. Then rewatched 08 MS Team and thought that held up

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  14. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

Been watching through the trilogy with my bf this past couple of weeks. He's enjoying it!

I'm eager to revist Zeta next. I hated my first watch through of it but my second time through it had a nice charm to it I'm nostalgic for lol

15. thenewmatthewperry

Dude nice work! your panel lining is spot on.

Did you see the PG Eva Unit 01?

flask likes this.
  16. flask

Trusted Supporter

Thanks! This was my first time panel lining and matte spraying a kit. It really adds a lot of detail with not much effort.

The PG Eva looks nice but also out of my price range haha.

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m starting Wing now. It’s so different from IBO. Not just the animation, but the pacing. So much has happened already in the first episode. I love the opening too.

18. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I couldn’t make it through five episodes of Wing, so I started 00. I’m halfway through season one and it is a thousand times better and probably my favorite so far.

19. flask

Trusted Supporter

08th MS Team is still my favorite.

I Am Mick and xapplexpiex like this.
  20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Same

21. thenewmatthewperry

Attached Files:

22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

so you are 30 years old and have been watching anime since 1989. That tracks.

Contender likes this.
  24. Melnean

I liked to watch this series. They were very interesting, with a lot of action that I enjoyed. I think that everyone must watch it. It's a very great anime. I don't know how about you guys, but I get very excited when I see anime characters. I don't know how this can be explained. But this is my nature. Recently, I've read about why self-love is good. There I found a lot of pros and cons, and I can say that I am more satisfied when I watch anime movies. You can also read it Male Masturbation: Healthy or Harmful?. I hope that you will find there useful facts for you!

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

I like how we all ignored this bot talking about cranking it to anime.

ANYWAYS. New model kit time.
    3A0D84C0-08C2-4373-94C0-027DC35F6BDA.jpeg

Ken and Joe4th like this.