Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gun Violence in America, Explained in 17 Maps and Charts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Vox:

Among developed nations, the US is far and away the most violent — in large part due to the easy access many Americans have to firearms. These charts and maps show what that violence looks like compared with the rest of the world, why it happens, and why it’s such a tough problem to fix.

carrytheweight and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. golferpunk1

Why are you posting this today? The charts and arguments made in this article do not apply to the extremely illegal weapons used in Las Vegas last night. Arguments for more gun control are weakened when you use tragedies like last night to further the cause for less guns.

3. Jason Tate Oct 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2017)
    Now is the time to talk about it and you clearly have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.

4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

The Latest: Concertgoer recalls heroics during Vegas attack

Legal purchases. ^

Illegal things done to modify his legal purchases that he was able to buy - and I'll emphasize it again - legally. ^

5. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

This is all so sad, and ever since Sandy Hook I've completely lost any hope for serious gun control. When our country's politicians & citizens collectively shrugged at the massacre of children, the silence & inaction spoke volumes - we care more about weapons than the well being of children.

This will happen again and again and again.

fenway89 and littlejohn like this.
  6. PokinatchaPunk

So he bought guns legally. He modified said guns to make them illegal. I'm not sure how you think this is defending your point? Are you advocating for stricter gun modification control? The amount of damage that someone can perpetrate with perfectly legal objects/substances is huge. The fact that gun control advocates are jumping on this tragedy as a way to further their cause is ridiculous. Make sound arguments and then maybe people will take you seriously. The idiot celebrities on twitter claiming that "pretty much anyone" can buy fully automatic weapons (
    ) is just a joke. The funny thing is, I never even said I'm against gun control. I am against idiotic fanaticism that will jump at any chance to politicize a tragedy. Oh and just so everyone here knows, Jason Tate banned me for my initial post (I'm golferpunk1) and then said I didn't know what I'm talking about. I'm glad healthy discussion is promoted here. Pretty pathetic.

7. PokinatchaPunk

Before we have all the facts is the time to talk about it while everyone is pissed off and grieving over such a horrible tragedy? Seriously dude, it is pretty pathetic that you banned me for disagreeing with you. What kind of forum do you want to have? Only people that agree with you and tell you how great and noble your opinions are? That is pretty pathetic.

8. I think it’s pretty pathetic you created another account to come back and say more dumb things.

9. Jason Tate Oct 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2017)
    Imagine being the guy politicizing the murder of people by standing up for the murder weapon.

10. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah I have no tolerance for people that want to come in here, ignore the facts presented in this extremely rational article, and make stupid comments. How dare we not want terrible violence like this to continue? How dare we want our country to be better than this?

I'm sorry but gun rights advocates make me sick. The fact he could legally buy guns that were easily modifiable to this point is sickening. America is a joke when it comes to many things, gun right being near the top

11. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I’m tired of these posts. I’m tired of “I’m not even pro guns....BUT”. I’m tired of white shooters being “troubled” and any others being “acts of terror”. I’m tired of people saying it’s immature to be banned for their illogical opinions.. especially when this is clearly a site that promotes positivity.

Geeeetttt outta here with that garbage.

Smh.

littlejohn, Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  12. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Why even ask a question if you're going to answer it yourself in the following sentence?

Also, with regards to that last statement: No.