Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guitar Pedals / General Guitar + Amp Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by RyanRyan, Jun 27, 2019.

1. RyanRyan

Under the left knob?! Haven’t seen one of these in ages. In the UK it’s called Where’s Wally, and I used to go as him for Halloween lmao.

2. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I love this so much. Great work, I have a cheap pedal I've been thinking of doing something like this to.

3. youngdj

Hi guys, you have nice devices. What can you recommend to a newbie? I'm playing guitar for 5 years, but I took an electrical guitar some days ago. I'm looking for a good distortion pedal. I have about $70 for this purpose. I'll be very grateful for any advice.

4. What kind of music do you listen to/like to play?

5. youngdj

I listen to all music i like, it doesn't depend on the genre. I like playing HammerFall, Merlin Manson, Scorpions and so on. As i said i am a music lover)
    Also Pink Floyd, but i use guitar for this purpose :D

6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

not the absolute best distortion pedal in the world but for your price range I can’t think of anything other than the boss ds-1, a super reliable and cheap distortion pedal. I think every guitarist owns one at least once in their lifetime

7. youngdj

Boss ds-1.. ok, I'll keep it in mind. I decided to visit a music store nearby, I'll check it up. I found it on amazon it costs $50-$60 that's great. Good option, thank you!)

8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

boss blues driver!

9. A used Boss DS-1 would probably do you well too

10. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Snagged a cheese ball during the reverb blackout deal. I love it!

11. Gotcha. Well yeah, like others have said, the DS-1 is sorta the standard for distortion on a budget, and not a bad option for the price! If you want to go a different route:

- The Dark Matter box by TC Electronic is a little more versatile from what I’ve heard, and definitely won’t break the bank.

- The Pro Co RAT is at the top of your budget but may be worth looking into! Has a really dirty bite to it.

- The Boss SD-1 is technically an overdrive pedal, not a distortion. BUT depending on what kind of amp you’re using, it might be all that you need! You can use it on it’s own or pair it with the distortion setting on an amp to really punch things up

bradsonemanband likes this.
  12. I second the SD-1, my brother got it last month and it does the job perfectly.

13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I dont know anyone who actually uses the ds1

14. I used it for awhile, but then I got the Friedman BE-OD and it changed my life forever, ha.

15. trevorshmevor Dec 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 5, 2019)
    The only people I do know that use it that aren’t sorta just dipping their toes into the pedal game have modded versions, which obv goes for way more than the out of box DS-1

16. aspeedomodel

Blues Driver or Rat seem like best bets to me in that price range.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

yep

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

for, like, an extra ten bucks you can get the EQD Plumes. probably same price if you go used. much better pedal than the others mentioned, even though i love a Rat

19. RyanRyan

DS-1 was my first distortion. Wish I still had it - with a tube amp it kills. And they’re the most popular Boss pedal for a reason. I only sold it off because years later I have two pedalboards and embarrassing boutique alternatives that left no room for it.

Rats are excellent too. I have a Fuzzrocious one but the official ones (Pro Co) are renowned for being versatile and capable of tame breakup to almost fuzz levels of distortion. I’d start at one of those two personally.

Both are excellent starting points, and there’s a hell of a lot of artists that are known for using (and sticking with) these pedals.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  20. youngdj

Hello again,
    I found a Wampler Triple Wreck V2 distortion pedal and fell in love with it. I'm a big fan of the games of thrones. So I couldn't stand against it. Just look at its design. Dracarys![​IMG]
    I'm a lucky duck with it :D It sounds utterly great! I can't compare it with other pedals, but this one is worth it. Thank you all!

Attached Files:

21. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Played a bunch of distortion pedals over the years but I always keep going back to the Rat, FWIW

22. RyanRyan

A man of culture

jpmalone4 likes this.
  23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the caverns is by far my favorite reverb/delay combo. thing is crazy fucking good. used it here to highlight it a lot.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  24. aspeedomodel

Is the OCD as good as everyone says? Torn between that or a Rat-style sound. I just worry Rat is going to be too....much.

EDIT: Angry Driver really tempts me. Feel like I could get a high gain distortion sound from it if needed, or dial it back to medium pretty easily.

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

for overdrive I have a snouse black box and an angry driver

I kinda want a sparkle drive now too