Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guitar Pedals / General Guitar + Amp Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by RyanRyan, Jun 27, 2019.

1. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Fuzz War clone showed up and MAN does it sound killer. Can turn it to a fuzzed out noise machine or pull back to an almost fuzzy overdrive. Really excited to play with it a bit more at higher volume over weekend.

2. RyanRyan

Out of curiosity what made you opt for the clone instead of the real thing?

3. aspeedomodel

It came down to the price. I was on the fence for a Fuzz War for a while and almost pulled the trigger a couple of times. I'm not a huge fuzz guy, so dropping that cash felt like it wouldn't be the best spent.

Saw the clone for a third of the price with good reviews, so I said I might as well give it a shot. The guy I bought it from let me pick the knobs and have a blank enclosure. I figured if I get a lot of use out of it, I'll upgrade.

trevorshmevor and RyanRyan like this.
  4. RyanRyan

Fair enough! The only DBA pedal I have is the Reverberation Machine - I’m also not a fuzz guy and use a rat clone as one (Fuzzrocious Cat Tail). I’ve tried a few before, the Algal Bloom V2 and the Nano Big Muff. The Algal was actually fucking excellent...but I preferred it as a garagey kind of overdrive, and it got replaced when I got a Fuck. The Muff just didn’t sit right - sounded almost synthy, if that makes sense?

Curious to see how you fare with it, as most ‘not fuzz guys’ tend to use them as very dirty drives rather than fuzzes. Which defeats the purpose imo, when you get this fully functional kitted out fuzz and just turn your guitar volume down haha. I’ve every faith a DBA fuzz would be killer though. Their pedals are disgusting in the best way. Let us know how you get on!

aspeedomodel likes this.
  5. RyanRyan

Speaking of the Algal...does anybody else get kinda annoyed at knobs labelled daft things as a cool gimmick? That was one of the main reasons I couldn’t gel with it. I get a lot of the time these things are done as jokes or for aesthetics, but I get tired of having to whip out the manual every time I attempt to change settings. Got a memory like a sieve, and unless there’s only a couple of knobs, it becomes really convoluted and silly having to do a trial and error experiment every time you wanna change settings with those types of pedals.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

fuzz is my favorite effect. i’m triggered.

aspeedomodel and RyanRyan like this.
  7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

anyone know if there are any other fuzzes/ODs out there that do that crackle-y sounding thing like the SS/BS Fuck does?

8. phaynes12

do you mean a gated fuzz? because there are a ton of those that produce the “crackle” as the signal cuts out. but if the Fuck does something on top of that, idk

9. RyanRyan

Funnily enough the Algal Bloom V2 I mentioned just has a mode for precisely that.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  10. aspeedomodel

Yeah, I bought a Big Muff Pi earlier this year or last and it's.....fine, but has always sounded bad unless I have it first in my chain. I tend to just leave it off when I'm playing. As I get more into "noise rock" I see the uses for fuzz and want to start incorporating it a bit more. I like how disgusting it can sound. Excited to mix it with my Panda Particle for the granular effect. Will report back!

I also may end up using the mini as a more "fuzz overdrive" and end up not using the clone. Who knows!
    I think I started with the wrong fuzz to be honest. Not a fan of the Big Muff Pi, takes a lot of work to make it sound usable for me. Hopefully this changes my opinion.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

it probably is a gate but with the Fuck it sounds like an amp sag or something but in practice yeah it makes it sound crackle-y in a way that sounds different than most gated fuzzes to me. the creator said his his inspiration was Basinski’s Disintegration Loops. But then I got to thinking how did that guy get that sound to begin with - worn out tape and or clipping a console and or compressor?

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. phaynes12

i don’t like the muff circuit either. hoof is probably the best version. but tone bender and fuzz face circuits fucking rip

13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah muffs are too nasaly

though that slovtek deluxe muff looks pretty cool because the filter control

14. phaynes12

i actually prefer a bit of a nasally fuzz sound haha. they’re wayyyy too bass heavy for me. i tend to like more buzzy type fuzzes. really need to pick up a ss/bs tbh

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

aspeedomodel likes this.
  16. aspeedomodel

smallsound/bigsound mini showed up.

Think this evening will be a loud session...

RyanRyan and Your Milkshake like this.
  17. RyanRyan

18. phaynes12

may or may not have bought a sola sound pedal during our UK trip from macari’s.... cannot confirm or deny

RyanRyan likes this.
  19. RyanRyan

Tone bender??

20. phaynes12

one of the Bum Fuzz remakes of the jumbo tonebender, yeah

RyanRyan likes this.
  21. RyanRyan

The awkward moment my Japanese junior high school asks me to bring my guitar and play it in front of all the students despite the fact I only play with pedals and I’m a fraud

I’m gonna be exposed oh god

22. RyanRyan

Update - my co-teacher just spent all of the class I was meant to be teaching sat talking about guitar pedals with me...asking how to loop things, my favourite brands, etc.

Never expected to be talking about this stuff with Japanese English teachers but my god was today fun haha.

23. I did a little arts and crafts experiment today that turned out pretty well!

Imgur Image

This is my Joyo California pedal.

I picked a page from an old Where’s Waldo book I had laying around. Then I lined up my pedal on the page to where I wanted it and traced the pedal on the page. After that I removed the knobs and carefully lined up the cut out and pushed it down on the knobs pegs to give me an idea of where to cut holes. I cut each of the holes a tiny bit bigger than they needed, so I’d be able to move it around a little bit if I was a little off. The whole definitely aren’t very pretty, but I knew the knobs would cover up any imperfections. Then I glued the cut out onto the pedal and then applied a thin coat of Mod Podge over the whole thing to act as a protective layer. After everything dried, I put the knobs back on and put the washers back on the foot switch. The end!

24. RyanRyan

That’s wicked! Where the hell is he though?!

25. He’s there. Just gotta look hard. The lighting in the picture actually makes it kinda hard though haha.