Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guitar Pedals / General Guitar + Amp Thread • Page 24

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by RyanRyan, Jun 27, 2019.

1. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

My brother just got one of these and i've been messing around with it for the past couple days. It's a lot of fun, and amazing for post rocky type stuff.

2. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

A lady in my neighborhood just sold me a JHS Morning Glory for $75. Thing is brand new w/ box and everything.

After 30 minutes with it, I do see the hype haha.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i really didn't like mine. i think i had an earlier version though. the noise floor was insane.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  4. aspeedomodel

Dang really? Didn't notice anything noise wise with it.

Biggest surprise for me was how everyone talks about using it as a light gain drive and I think the higher gain is what really sounds great.

5. phaynes12

i think there are like five different versions. some of them don’t have the extra switching for the higher gain version.

6. Invest in a noise gate, they really don't fuck up your tone like everyone says but it allows me to use my single coil guitars with very high gain + tube screamer + compressor and almost no hum.

7. phaynes12

i tried several and they were absolutely awfulllll for the tone. it’s fine. i found a better OD pedal that had less natural noise lol.

8. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Start a shoegaze band or a noise rock/punk band and any noise, feedback or hum just becomes part of your sound.

9. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

hell yea embrace the hum

10. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I have a Snouse Black Box that I swear by for anyone who is interested in Blues Breakers or the Morning Glory its seems among the best

phaynes12 likes this.
  11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I forgot I had Deftones songs on Rocksmith (yeah I know, it’s a fun way to practice though) so I’ve been playing around with Hole In The Earth, such a fun song on bass.

12. phaynes12

made a cool stereo image helix snapshot that works pretty well for weezer and jimmy eat world esque stuff. nice.

13. Anyone here played the Old Blood Fault V2? I want to replace my Fulldrive and the Fault sounds great in the videos I've watched. Also looking at the Earthquaker Palisades, but that seems like maybe more controls and options than I want.

14. aspeedomodel

So amp question:
    Been playing solid state/modeling for a while. And have been unsatisfied. My small Marshall combo is nice, but a little lifeless. Katana brings headaches when introducing pedals I've found. So I'm making the move to tube.

I got a Blues Jr for free (long story) and after few hours, it's way too fucking loud for my use. I feel like there's a good tone in there, but it's just so loud even at like 2. I'll be mostly at home, no gigs, some recording into an interface, nothing crazy. Do I just keep the Blue Jr at low volume and dial in a tone, accepting that it is what it is? Or go for another combo w/ lower watt? What are peoples thoughts on low watt tube amps? Fender Champ 5W? I don't intent to get the natural overdrive, will use pedalboard 90% of the time for that, I just want a good clean sound to use.

Is a Vox AC10 still going to have too much?

15. jorbjorb

7 rings

The 5W could be OK if you want some natural tube distortion at lower volumes but looks like you are using a pedal board most of the time. I would keep the blues JR imo. Not sure if you're in an apartment but turning the 5W to 12 o clock is still very loud.

I've personally been satisfied using a 22W Deluxe Reverb and just put a transparent OD in front of it when it's used at low volumes.

The AC10 can dial in some decent tones at low volumes. What I've done with the AC15 is turn the volume knob to 100% and use the gain knob as my volume if that makes sense?

aspeedomodel likes this.
  16. aspeedomodel

This helps! Yeah I may just spend sometime with the Blues Jr and see how I feel with it. I've heard the Master volume full w/ input volume to taste for the Blues Jr as well, makes sense!

Thanks for the reply!

jorbjorb likes this.
  17. jorbjorb

7 rings

oh damn I just noticed the blues jr has a master volume knob. Yes give that a spin!
    I haven't used that amp specifically but I would guess having the volume knob at noon and having the master volume low for your home setup will sound decent.

18. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Before and after

70A5454B-5CDB-4FE9-A8FA-C96D3DAE0C60.jpeg

A4464078-1C94-41C4-B8FB-610CBDE63B62.jpeg

19. aspeedomodel

Beautiful! I really want a jazzmaster...

I bought a Plumes the other day because it was super cheap and I've heard so many good things. And...man, what a pedal. This might be my first tubescreamer based OD and it's really incredible sounding. Reminds me of the SSBS mini a bit without the bias control and less gain on tap.

20. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I'm looking at branching out my home recording with a few pedals. Hopefully I could use them in a live setup, but given that I'm only now getting back into writing for a full band after the solo thing, not necessarily planning for that yet. I'm interested in the Earnie Ball jr volume pedal, the EHX soul food, and the EHX C9 (or B9, I can be convinced either way). In addition to any general feedback or recs in the same price point, I also would love to know to what degree, if any, these rely on screens on the pedals themselves. I'm blind and believe strongly in being independent with my music, so don't want to rely on touch screens or navigating through menus or mobile applications that are almost always inaccessible. I don't mind memorizing positions for nobs (I do the sae thing for my Yamaha Thr10), but things that rely on eyes are going to be a no-go for me.

I have a strat and a gretsch baritone for the electric side of things, though I'm also eyeing a tele or a streamliner. (And an acoustic baritone to go with my blueridge -- I have definitely caught the bug).

21. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

All of them are analog, so they don’t have touch screens or digital menus!

22. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

9DFFC31A-B8DE-4BC7-B54C-1FAF6B0DD09A.jpeg
    :)

23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Hey everyone, I know this has been touched on in the past but I’m looking to get a looper pedal (and am just branching into pedals as a whole). I’ve been very casually playing a long time but wanna get serious about practicing and recording and finally put a lot of head ideas to auditory paper. I wanna be able to loop vocals since I often try to build around a verse or vocal melody, so the boss rc-30 was really tempting for its XLR (I have an interface and mics for proper recording). The EHX lines also seem cool. It seems like all these options have big caveats or complexities with features, ease of use, fluidity, verse/chorus-ing, etc, though which makes me wonder if I’d be better suited with mic’ing an rc-3 or similar, or just getting a separate vocal looper. Any insights?

24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Getting back into the pedal game after like 15 years away lol.

Ive had a couple Oneder Effects pedals (red ryder and the Oneder Drive). Red Ryder sounds SICK on a bass. The Oneder drive give a nice signature/mid push tone.

I also just bought an Alexander Silver Jubilee Pedal. Super excited about this one. Marshall Silver Jubilee in a box!

aspeedomodel likes this.
  25. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

I really wanna get a Oneder pedal! i haven't been playing my guitar the last couple months sadly, been a lot going on, i need to start up again and i've been needing some sort of fuzz/distortion to add in the mix