Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guided By Voices - August By Cake (April 7th,2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

both new songs on streaming now

the b-side "Your Cricket is Rather Unique" is the better of the two imo

but I enjoyed the non-Pollard songs most off August By Cake

2. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I've been going through their discography in reverse chronological order, currently on English Little League, and it's absolutely incredible how consistent they are with the amount of output they have. Bob Pollard should be revered as one of the greatest songwriters of all time imo. And I haven't even reached their classic period.

Mustache_Band likes this.
  3. Mustache_Band

Is this your first time listening to Guided By Voices? I discovered them a little before English Little League came out and it was one of my favorite music listening experiences. So much amazing stuff. And Guided By Voices is really just a small part of the Pollard music universe.

4. clockwise

It is my first time listening to full albums, previously I'd just heard the most popular songs. After GBV I'm going to dive into his side project/solo stuff but it will likely take me years to get through everything. I'm kind of bummed that there's so much material that I can't really spend as much time with each album as I want to haha

Mustache_Band likes this.
  5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

new (double) album coming this Friday !!!! also apparently it's out there? lol

6. clockwise

7. Mustache_Band

With two more albums on the way lol.

This album is great.

8. alphab0t

argochn Supporter

Surrender Your Poppy Field record came in the mail the other day

maybe I should have created a thread for it??

9. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I'm late but I'm just listening to it now

def their best since August By Cake imo (at least so far)

10. alphab0t

argochn Supporter

Warp and Woof brought me back into GBV obsessiveness. Space Gun and Zeppelin Over China are similarly rewarding.

I'd hardly gotten used to Sweating The Plague before SYPF was here. Arthur Has Business Elsewhere stuck in my head.

Went 2 see them on NYE in LA and can't remember the last time I was on my feet for 4+ hours and didn't even notice.

11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

first time listening to this band. what the hell

clockwise likes this.
  12. clockwise

Welcome. The club is open!

Still listening to their most recent, Earth Man Blues, daily.

phaynes12 likes this.
  13. phaynes12

fwiw i was listening to alien lanes, realized i didn’t clarify that

14. Gianni

Trusted

whoa.

So - is your what the hell a good what the hell, or....?

15. phaynes12

it’s a great what the hell tbh

Gianni28 and clockwise like this.
  16. clockwise

I would encourage you to jump around the discography. There’s gems in every era.

alphab0t and phaynes12 like this.
  17. phaynes12

just did the debut. not as taken by it as alien lanes but still a handful of songs that wowed me.

18. Gianni

Trusted

I would say if you start with Propeller (‘92), and listen to everything from there until Half Smiles Of The Decomposed (‘04), which was the end of their original run- you will come across most of their best work.

I won’t disagree that there are gems to be found elsewhere , but the quantity is just too much to keep up with for anyone with a job and wide ranging tastes in music LOL

19. clockwise

I agree that the original run should definitely be prioritized. However, the stretch of albums between 2018’s Space Gun to present day is just absolutely incredible and should definitely be given a chance!

alphab0t likes this.
  20. Gianni

Trusted

I swear I have been MEANING to listen to them and not gotten around to it. Will truly try to prioritize in the next few weeks based on this endorsement.

Ive seen GBV I think .... 5 times? (Which isn’t a lot compared to diehards) but my first few shows in 01-02 were formative experiences for me as a teenager. I remember being front row at a show in DC, and Bob handed a 17 year old me a beer, saying “TAKE THIS, BROTHER, AND MAY IT SERVE YOU WELL.”

21. phaynes12

have listened to everything through alien lanes now. what a fucking band.

22. Gianni

Trusted

definitely curious of your thoughts on Do the Collapse and Isolation Drills when you get there!

phaynes12 and alphab0t like this.
  23. phaynes12

do the collapse is good as hell

24. clockwise

Don’t let the mid-00’s (IMO) middling records get you down. Starting with Space Gun (or even August by Cake) you’re in for another round of amazing records

Aregala, alphab0t and phaynes12 like this.
  25. Gianni

Trusted

Ric Ocasek produced! He famously didn't let Bobby Pollard and the boys drink while in the studio, so it produced some .... tension, and interesting results.

It was the first GBV album I heard as a FAN - was only 14 at the time, and had heard most of the 90s classics via borrowing my Dad's CDs. I was immediately hooked because of the clean production.

phaynes12 likes this.