Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guava Island (Hiro Murai, April 13, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 25, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

starring Donald Glover, Rihanna, Letitia Wright and Nonso Anozie, set in Cuba

2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Here for it.

3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

yes

4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I’m getting the impression this is more of a companion piece to his new album than its own thing altogether but it still looks really cool. Like maybe a fully realized version of the script he wrote for Because the Internet

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  5. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

Hiro Murai mentioned working on this when I went to his Atlanta QnA at USC last week. I think spring release?

6. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

no way this won't be great

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

YES

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Whatever this is I’m so intrigued. Atlanta, and Barry are my favorite two currently airing shows.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Truthfully, I haven't seen a "visual album" that hasn't bored the shit out of me.

13. but Lemonade exists...

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Awesome, I thought I'd have to catch a stream right at 12:01 but it looks like it's just permanently going on Prime

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Just as wonderfully strange/deceptively deep as I thought it would be. Gorgeously shot, charming performance from Donald, amazing music, and just the right amount of ambiguity without becoming pretentious, which as a Gambino stan even I can't deny his work can be sometimes

18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

thought this was kind of a miss but the music was lovely as expected

19. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This was nice with my coffee this morning

jkauf and GrantCloud like this.
  20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I think the message is simpler than what I was thinking, it seems to be a classic people vs. oppressive government story. Red is the villain’s name, and the jumpsuit they wear in the factory is red, and the color blue is the symbol for freedom, which they all wear at the end. The blue bird that Deni sees caged in Red’s office and then sees free right before he dies is also blue, and he smiles right before he’s shot because he realizes that his death is about to bring freedom to the islanders who won’t take the oppression anymore. I enjoyed it a lot more in retrospect after thinking this over

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was lovely.

22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Really dug this. The message was pretty on the nose, but it's not so much an issue with the strong fairy tale vibe. Plus I'm always down with anti-capitalist messages. Hiro Murai is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. That shot of Deni terrified in the moonlight was fantastic.

Also, inject that performance of Saturday directly into my veins, please.