Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) Movie • Page 36

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

pro-spoiler culture is out of control

coleslawed, Raku, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  2. RyanPm40 May 12, 2019
    (Last edited: May 12, 2019)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah idk, spoilers are on any talk show, forum, Facebook/Instagram post, and in the Spider-Man trailer at this point. Kinda unavoidable, and in the end, it's just a fictional superhero movie, and all of these films are linked together. This movie is a direct result of how Endgame ends, so it's an appropriate place to discuss

Just go grab a cheap matinee if you care about the movie :shrug:

3. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

It's pretty daft to still be frequenting MCU threads if you're trying to avoid spoilers about Endgame. Lol

PauLo, Mrplum5089 and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I don't like the assumption that you need to see a movie the weekend it comes out if you don't want it spoiled in unrelated conversation. I also disagree that it's a small percentage of people that haven't seen it by now. Sometimes it's hard to get out to the theater for one reason or another. Sometimes I really want to see a movie and don't get around to it until home release. I didn't see Infinity War until months later

That said, the events of Endgame obviously affect what this movie will look at. Still, spoiler tags work if people want them

FTank, Raku, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

It hasn't been a weekend. It's been 3 and the Russo Brothers warned people ahead of time that the spoiler embargo was up on Monday :shrug:. Forum rules are that spoilers are fair game once a film has been released

6. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Sorry. I really shouldn't care so much about this right now. Debates over spoiler etiquette are so tired. Do what you want.

But, like, I have a lot of crap that I'm trying to navigate in life right now. Places where I have to watch what I say for complex reasons. And, Marvel superheroes are dumb, colorful pieces of old, disposable children's entertainment that bring me a lot of joy. I don't need people making some fucking moral/ethical issue out of how much I'm allowed to talk about the biggest film in the world for the past two & a half weeks.

I'm not trying to intentionally be a dick. But, extreme spoiler culture isn't the default. Holding out for three-plus weeks without learning about the contents of a water cooler cultural behemoth... doesn't require the same catering to that, say, trauma or gender identity or whatever does.

If you don't wanna know what happens in a movie, or a sports event, or concert set list, etc., awesome. But, if that's you, then, well, it's on you to navigate your own life accordingly. As long as people aren't being tactless about major spoilers, please just let them fucking live. Ok?

Sorry. I just want my blockbuster genre entertainment to be fun. Life has enough problems.

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This isn't the Endgame thread. Someone politely asked if any potential Endgame spoilers were kept out of this thread. And the pro-spoiler brigade immediately had to jump to the defense of people who want to spoil one movie in the thread for an entirely different movie just because they feel entitled to it. It’s beyond parody at this point. I don’t think there’s anything in the site rules that people love to bring up so much that says you can spoil one movie in another movie’s thread but I could be wrong. Either way, I just don’t get why it’s so offensive to those that adhere to pro-spoiler culture to keep spoilers in the thread where they’re relevant.

For many, many people, blockbusters are fun when they aren’t spoiled. But pro-spoiler culture has no regard for anyone else’s feelings, it assumes that nobody cares or even should care about spoilers, so I guess it is what is is.

Oh well.

Raku, Joe4th and ChaseTx like this.
  8. The solution is to make a gotg 3 thread.

wordzanddreamz and coleslawed like this.
  9. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I saw someone on twitter complain to a writer for spoiling Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Spoiler culture sucks and characterizing people who don't think spoilers are a huge deal as "pro-spoiler culture" out here intentionally and maliciously spoiling key plot points to pure good people who haven't seen a movie yet is bad faith.

Spoiler paranoia is ruining pop culture

10. Nathan

I was looking for this Todd VanDerWerff piece when I found the one above

https://tv.avclub.com/why-it-s-time-to-stop-the-anti-spoiler-paranoia-1798269869

coleslawed, Mrplum5089 and RyanPm40 like this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think it depends on the spoiler, telling someone who dies or a major twist is a dick move, but other than that like what ruins the experience

even before the star was a creep I didn't want to watch Se7en and The Usual Suspects, director also a creep with the star on that one, because I read the twist on Wikipedia

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

didn’t realize who directed The Usual Suspects. one more film I’ll avoid now

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This thread needs a dance off ASAP.

Raku likes this.
  14. the rural juror May 12, 2019
    (Last edited: May 12, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

This is ludicrous. Is everyone in this thread low on blood sugar?

People who don’t want to be spoiled aren’t some kind of lower form of entertainment consumer. It’s a completely reasonable desire to want to experience something as a blank slate. Having self-awareness about what you reveal in semi-related or unrelated threads is just a nice thing to do.

On the other hand, people who don’t want to be spoiled should take reasonable actions to avoid areas of discussion where it might happen, and be realistic that the longer they wait, the more likely it is that they’ll get spoiled and that’s just life.

Just be respectful and reasonable to the people around you. This isn’t that hard.

15. Tim

Your "bad faith" observation is, I think, a big part of why this is so frustrating.

Like, what rural juror said is technically what I think on the matter, too. I agree that plot is the least interesting thing in storytelling, & I personally embrace spoilers more than the average viewer because I genuinely enjoy my movies better that way. But, as I've said repeatedly (which I feel has been intentionally ignored), I'm not trying to rain on anyone else's parade in how they wanna watch something.

Like, Cameron & my interaction that started this felt good faith. I was in a conversation that felt fair given the relative vagueness, the time passed, & the current larger cultural climate around the film's events. They voiced their concern, we explained where we were coming from, & the response was, "True," & making the personal decision to leave the thread. It wasn't until outside people made some nonsense stink that this escalated pointlessly.

I don't have patience right now for people policing & gatekeeping Endgame talk in paranoid bad faith like this. No one's trying to be malicious.

Whatever.

RyanPm40, TEGCRocco and Nathan like this.
  16. Tim

Anyways, it probably says something about me & the place I'm at today that I'm caring so much about being understood & not misrepresented concerning something so dumb, lol. Gonna unfollow this thread temporarily & do some healthier stuff.

Peace & blessings to all of y'all, whether we're on the same page or not.

17. Davjs

Trusted

Getting a baby sitter for 3 kids including an infant wasn't an easy thing to do so Wife and I could make it out to a 3 hour movie. Until we could see it, I avoided everything online because I wanted spoiler free experience. Personal responsibility does come into play for sure.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  18. Nathan

I’ve said the same thing in these debates, I like as close to an unaffected viewing experience as possible. I don’t watch trailers intentionally, I like knowing as little as possible and not building any expectation in my mind before consuming the onscreen text. I totally understand wanting that experience for oneself. No one is arguing that movies should be spoiled for everyone before they see them, just that they aren’t the end of the world and the policing can be harsh and unreasonable, and that stories are more than plot points and good ones can’t be “ruined” by knowing a “spoiler”.

Hope you’re doing okay, wishing all the best for ya :heart:

Tim likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Yes. I was writing Suicide Squad and thought of Guardians 3 as being long gone. I guess it was a possibility for a while, but the initial conversations with Alan weren’t, “Let’s figure out if I should come back.” It was, “Let’s talk about this.” It was like the break-up of my marriage. I got divorced, and then had those conversations with my ex-wife: “Let’s get along as well as we possibly can and be kind to each other because we’re both a large part of each other’s lives.”

But I would hate to look back on the six years that my wife and I were together and think, Oh, what a waste of time. Instead, I think it was a time when I really grew a lot and we were really good to each other. There were some problems, and we just weren’t supposed to be married, but it was well worth living that six years with my ex.

I wanted to feel that way about Disney. I didn’t want to look back and feel bitter, upset or angry. Of course all sorts of emotions are attached to it. But I just wanted to be comfortable saying goodbye and splitting up, and that’s where my head was at, even in the very early meeting we had, a week or two weeks after it all happened.

fun fact his ex wife is Jenna Fischer

Raku likes this.
  20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Anthony_ likes this.
  21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Rewatched this tonight. My opinion on it strengthened this time, and stuff that felt a little incoherent before weren't as much of a problem. This honestly has some of the most affecting moments in the MCU as well, and that makes me much happier that JG will continue to do what he wants with this franchise

aoftbsten and justin. like this.
  22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

23. GBlades

Trusted

I remember my sister going into labour with my nephew on Aug 1 and me literally begging her not to give birth because I'd miss the GOTG premier. Luckily for me she gave birth today, Aug 2, and we got to see a great movie for it!

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

25. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I remember my best friend gave birth on July 18, 2008, the same day The Dark Knight was released. I told her she should name her son Bruce, but she didn't listen. Now I always remember her son's birthday because of this, haha.

GBlades and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.