Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) Movie • Page 24

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Jesus dude it was just a suggestion

FTank and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I respectfully disagree. I don't think this is what happened here, but I would not put it past a company like Disney to be upset that someone, say, asked for more money after making two blockbusters in a row off of a long shot concept and jumped at the first chance to fire him in a way that they could save face and money. I honestly think you are giving a company too much credit these days.

Raku likes this.
  3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I mean, Disney has blacklisted people before, but they usually don't publicly shame them.

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Is this comparable? Just as MCU was getting started, Robert Downey Jr. is hired to play Iron Man, who had a history of substance abuse and a criminal record but sobered up and was making an acting comeback with indie movies in the mid-2000s.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  5. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I think I’m giving them accurate credit. Why bother with some pointlessly convoluted false flag operation in which they influence an alt-right troll group to publicly shame him as cover for some boring, money-driven internal fallout? Makes no sense.

If it really was asking for too much money, what’s the problem? They could just fire him over contract disputes, say exactly that, and everyone would have just shrugged and moped for a bit. Would be way less controversial than what’s happening now.

6. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Hey look, you're probably right. I wasn't saying Disney influenced the alt-right guys to dig dirt up on James Gunn so they could for him - I was simply agreeing to the idea that I do not think it's far fetched in this day and age for a company to be opportunistic and use the fact that the alt-right guys were digging up old dirt on him to fire him for other reasons. The asking for more money thing was just a guess because he's someone who took what seemed like kind of a long-shot idea and turned it into two hugely profitable blockbusters. Marvel used to be known for being quite thrifty when it came to contracts, especially before everything they touched was a guaranteed massive hit .

At the end of the day I don't think this is what happened here, but I still think it's really strange to fire him for such old tweets that were already known about and apologized for.

Raku likes this.
  7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I think Disney fired him now instead of in 2012 when the tweets first surfaced because they know people pay more attention and react drastically. They had to pull the plug before it cost them anything. It wasn’t a big story in 2012 so they just didn’t care.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Someone else on a different website stated that they think he was fired for tweets but not the dug up offensive ones. They floated the idea that perhaps they had asked him to chill on the really pointed political tweets period, simply not being thrilled with one of their premier creatives being that overtly political and outspoken due to it alienating ticket buyers, and he refused to do it. This being brought up now gave them a good opportunity.

Raku likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If that’s the case then Scott Derrickson (director of Doctor Strange) would need to calm down because his twitter feed can be pretty political. He balances it with his Christian and move buff posts, though.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo have been very outspoken against Trump. I dont think that’s it.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Disney just cares about money, I think Cernovich targeted James Gunn because he's political and outspoken but Disney wants the Marvel movies to be political in a non offensive way

Raku and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

BornToRun likes this.
  13. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Nice note from the actors here. The tweets were awful, but I hope he's reinstated to the job.

14. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Pretty strong to have the whole cast stand up.

Raku and BornToRun like this.
  15. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m glad the cast is speaking out but enough “both sides”ing this stuff. One side of the “political divide” is very visibly and blatantly worse and more hypocritical than the other.

ChaseTx, Tim and gonz (Alex) like this.
  16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Really glad to see the rest of the cast standing up for him. I have a very hard time believing Disney will reinstate him, but it's pretty huge to have them all publicly come out like this

Raku and BornToRun like this.
  17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, the both sides-ing and “court of public opinion” bullshit doesn’t sit well with me.

Tim likes this.
  18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kevin Smith might be in line for this. He says he's going to be making the biggest announcement of his career. Who knows.

19. Davjs

Trusted

haha that would be nuts, but I'd be so down.

Larry David likes this.
  20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Kevin Smith would replace Gamora with his daughter

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Pom has the best signature I have ever seen

22. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I love how it needlessly takes up like a quarter of the signature space haha

Bautista has a damn fine signature

23. Dog with a Blog

He said that he’s def not doing Guardians

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Thats good to know. Curious to see what it ends up being. I'd rather it not be something DC related.

25. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

He said in a note it wasn't Marvel, DC, Star Wars or Star Trek. And as far as I know its only a script he wrote.