Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) Movie • Page 21

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Possibly he felt / thought that apologizing for them was enough and that he addressed it, and going back and deleting them would seem like he was trying to hide them. I am upset he's off of GOTG and probably won't be watching it now, but it's hard to actually be upset at the firing. I don't like how it came about but at the end of the day I don't see how you can expect to not be fired by Disney after making jokes like that on the internet for all to see. I'm pretty sure any job I've ever had would fire me too and I don't work in the entertainment industry or for the world's largest family friendly entertainment company.

Raku and Vase Full Of Rocks like this.
  2. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I really just don't like the thought of some evil smug bastard like Mike Cernovich smirking somewhere, feeling like a winner. Ugh.

Raku likes this.
  3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'm hoping maybe they can get Taika Waititi to direct GOTG3, since he clearly shares a similar type of humor and vision to Gunn's. I can't imagine many others that would be able to direct this without it just looking like a watered-down imitation of Gunn's.

4. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Breaking: Ron Howard to Direct GOTG Vol. 3

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

That part of all this really does suck horribly. But I just found a gallery showing more of his tweets and after reading them it's a no-brainer. There was no other outcome. I don't use Twitter but I am shocked this stuff was sitting there for everyone to read and he worked for Disney as long as he did .

* Edited to add that I was responding to nomemorial RE Mike Cernovich .

nomemorial and Jason Tate like this.
  6. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Yeah, I don't disagree at all. It's what had to happen for sure. Just don't like this sort of thing from someone who isn't even doing it based on any type of moral merit.

Raku likes this.
  7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Mike Cernovich is an actual rapist and abuser, fuck him. Just needed to say that.

coleslawed, Henry, Raku and 8 others like this.
  8. DarkHotline

Also, this is very disappointing and to be honest, I’m not really interested in 3 now. Partly because of this and part because I honestly think no one else will capture that same feel, especially with the soundtrack.

Raku likes this.
  9. kbeef2 Jul 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2018)
    kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I really don’t think that the GotG movies were so distinctive that Gunn was the only director who could helm them. Might be fun to get some new blood in there.

coleslawed and Omni like this.
  10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

This is crazy

Raku likes this.
  11. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

From 2012

811590D5-2165-402E-A04E-5C1DD3C2C2BE.jpeg

12. Eva89

Trusted Supporter

Edgar Wright would be perfect but don’t see it happening though after the Ant Man situation.

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah I feel that way when any director I love gets a big film, cough cough Rian Johnson

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. DarkHotline

We’ll see how that goes with his Nazi parody coming out, I imagine there will be a good amount of hand wringing over that.

15. lordjedediah

N00b3

I can't believe the filmmaker who made their career on being offensive was offensive.

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

GotG was offensive?

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Rape jokes/pedo jokes=offensive

18. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

He made movies with Troma. They really liked to push the envelope.

Raku and I Am Mick like this.
  19. lordjedediah

N00b3

Gunn had a career before Guardians. He started at Troma.

Raku likes this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Hmmm ok I wasn’t aware

21. Brother Beck Jul 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2018)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I definitely think James Gunn's voice is all over the two GOTG films we've gotten so far. The use of music, the sense of humor, etc. - before Thor: Ragnarok I would say it's the most one filmmakers voice has shown through on an MCU film. Even then, I think Gunn's sensibilities are way more a foundational and natural part of this version of GOTG that we've seen on screen than Taika Waititi's were of the world of Thor.

All of that being said, I don't think James Gunn is on some other level as a filmmaker. To me it was more about them trusting him to make his movie his way. There have got to be dozens of other filmmakers out there who could also make an awesome GOTG film given the chance. The most disappointing thing they could do is to not trust whoever ends up getting the gig and make a totally vanilla paint-by-numbers MCU film. I think the Russos showed that other people can do the GOTG on screen.

Raku and nomemorial like this.
  22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yikes. Those comments are disgusting.

Hopefully they bring back Guardians 1 screenwriter Nicole Perlman. She downplays her contributions to the final film, but it was her draft that got the film green lit before Gunn was signed on. If they throw out whatever Gunn had, have Perlman develop a story based on the Guardians' film appearances so far, and then hand that over to someone like Taika Waititi, it'll be a seamless transition while leaving Gunn out of the picture.

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Yikes...shame about the person who took him down and the methods but...not cool all around.

I assume Disney will try to get Taika but not sure if he’d do it.

Raku likes this.
  24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I loved Ragnarok but I want Taika to do his own shit.

Obviously they never will, but I’d be happy if they just took a break with Marvel movies after Avengers 4

SpyKi likes this.
  25. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

That "Jerkloose" tweet is funny, at least