Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ugman_2000 May 11, 2017
    (Last edited: May 11, 2017)
    ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

The special from the Empire podcast on this that dropped yesterday is really great, has about a 40 minute long interview with James Gunn (the 1st 40min of the podcast) where he talks about the making the film and certain decisions they made about what to drop include in the film (major spoilers obviously).

The Empire Film Podcast by The Empire Podcast on Apple Podcasts

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

How fucking genius is it that we get confirmation that Stan Lee is a part of the watchers and has actually been playing the same character in all these movies
    So I saw this AGAIN and I still just love it, god damn. My only real issue is Nebula but it's mostly just because Gillian is being a bit too hammy at points.

Another funny running gag is action happening off screen while the camera focuses on something else. Idk it just works as a counter to the first movie and most of the Marvel movies, the big action stuff is pushed aside for the characters to be themselves and interact. I love that.

Sorry I know I'm annoying but I'm blown away by how good this is. This as overthrown Civil War as my favorite marvel film

3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Just got home from this an hour ago, thought it was fantastic. So many laughs.

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

gotg, gotg2, winter soldier and civil war are my favorite marvel movies. yea.

5. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Finally caught this last night and really loved it, especially with the smaller roles/cameos tied into it as well. Not really anything relevant, but spoilering just in case: I want Cosmo somehow in a minor role someday! haha I think I might like the first one better just because of the soundtrack, but I love both of them so much in the grand scheme of the MCU. Either way, can't wait to get more out of them in the next few years.

I'm interested in seeing how Avengers: Infinity War will run in terms of whether the GOTG operates with them making it to Earth to warn the team or if they come by to assist in the war. Should be crazy either way because it seems like we should be getting the team in the next two Avengers and GOTG 3 in 2020. What a good four years!

6. Saw this a second time and it hit harder than the first time. Just beautiful.

I was in tears again during the ending, more than the first time.

Also love how it spent no time at all universe-building.

7. airik625 May 14, 2017
    (Last edited: May 14, 2017)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Just got around to seeing this. Thought it was great. Still think I like the first one more, but it was a solid sequel.

Also something that I didn't really notice with the first as I did with this one, but it seems like they went out of their way to set them up with jokes/silly one-liners. But it wasn't that obvious so it didn't really bother me.

Michael Rooker did a fantastic job (as always). Felt he was one of the highlights. hated to watch him die. He was the real MVP with the way he saved Quill and raised him. He wasn't the hero Quill deserved, but the one he needed... or something like that

coleslawed likes this.
  8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

So in the Facebook Q&A, James said the Missouri town in the movie was St. Charles.

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Finally saw this today. Pretty easily not as good as the first one imo, but I definitely still enjoyed it, mostly because the characters are so great. I definitely agree with past posts in here about how the pacing felt kind of weird and especially that this felt more like an episode of a TV show than a movie, I actually had that thought as soon as it ended. Even though the galaxy was in danger again, the stakes still felt pretty low to me, though the last 20 or so minutes were fantastic and really well-done.

Overall if GotG1 is a 9/10 then this is probably a 7/10 for me

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Saw this last night. While I didn't like it as much as the first, I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud that many times in a theater. This movie was hilarious. I'll echo whoever said they got empire strikes back vibes and I'll add that the villain reminded me a lot of Dr. Manhattan. I do think that it was kind of cluttered, but overall still the second best movie in the mcu by a fairly long shot imo

11. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was cool. It's tough to pull off a movie where so much of the conflicts the characters are dealing with are conflicts that happened before the first movie and were never dramatized onscreen, and it didn't stick it 100%, but a lot worked anyway. The pacing probably felt weird because, while they had similar thematic aims, the separate storylines didn't totally intersect meaningfully. The Gamora/Nebula plot, Yondu/Rocket plot, Peter/Ego plot, and Drax/Mantis stories mostly come together out of physical proximity, not emotional resonance. But I enjoyed the heck out of it anyway.

stayillogical likes this.
  12. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

It's been said a thousand times, but Peter blasting Ego at the drop of a dime when it's revealed how his mother got sick was so good, maybe my favorite moment in a film this year. Any other action flick, even within the Marvel universe, would've probably paused for an expository glance where we see him putting it together, or a "wait... you... you WHAT" line of dialogue, or even a cheesy one liner before the action commenced. Nope: instant retaliation.

13. heh

14. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Michael Rooker is the best

15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I had a blast watching this. Not quite as good as the first, but still good fun. I appreciated that it wasn't a carbon copy. It seemed to take it's time a little more. I do wish they didn't feel the need to do a joke every 15 seconds though. For the most part the jokes were great, but every once it a while it would have been better to just let a moment breathe instead of cracking a one liner.

jmwhit04 likes this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Oh, and that whole scene when Yondu is murdering pirates with his arrow is just fucking awesome.

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Finally saw it yesterday (the cinema I watched it in also gave me a free seat upgrade and a free large drink "just because" - erm, thanks!!) It's an enjoyable film. I agree with some of the comments about pacing - that is probably the one thing keeping this from topping the first film. It's still a lot better than the majority of the MCU films so I'm happy.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. BackyardHero11

Trusted

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  19. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Finally saw this last night, and really really loved it. Everything was so well done, and I honestly can't think of anything to complain about. This may end up being my favorite Marvel movie.

angrycandy and electro haikus like this.
  20. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

I've seen a lot of pieces about how some children on the spectrum feel like they can relate to Drax and that's so fucking cool to me

21. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

That was a fun read, and I can totally relate. I've had the same thought of this being Star Wars for my daughter with as much as she loves it. She was too young for the first time when it was in theaters, but has fallen in love with it over the last 3 years, so taking her to see this was a lot of fun for me. She loves Rocket and totally fell in love with Baby Groot, like I knew she would.

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I actually really hope nothing major happens for these characters in the upcoming Avengers movie, I would really love this to be a self-contained trilogy that you don't have to see another movie to fully get

aoftbsten and cybele like this.
  23. Saw this today, really loved it. Baby Groot was perfect and completely stole the show in my screening as far as crowd reaction goes. The face distortion in Yondu and Rocket was hysterical, loved the constant references to the 80s, the Teen Groot tag had me in stitches. Yondu ended up being my favorite character this time around, but there wasn't a weak link in the cast aside from maaaaaaybe Nebula who's just a bit too one-note and not as fun as everyone else. Stoked that they're working on a third because I'm convinced James Gunn can do no wrong with this franchise.

awakeohsleeper, cybele and Joe4th like this.
  24. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finally watched this and loved it. I'll be rewatching Vol. 1 soon for a refresher so I can podcast with a friend about both movies. I rarely see movies opening weekend so since everyone was wanting to see WW today, the theater only had like 6 other people in it. great viewing experience that way haha.

25. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter