Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grizzly Bear Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by sophos34, Sep 5, 2016.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

surprised this band doesnt have a thread. anyway, yellow house is 10 today and they're working on new music. yay!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

sophos34 likes this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

YESSSS

5. Dog with a Blog

Wowwww. This new track is amazing. After the very disappointing Shields they really needed to take things into a new direction in order to progress and it seems they have done just that.

6. Collins

Trusted

Come on now, Shields had some fantastic tracks. what did you find disappointing about it?

7. Dog with a Blog

Some fantastic tracks indeed. Not a solid record though. Disappointing is not synonymous with bad.

8. Collins

Trusted

l would put it behind Veckatimest but quite a bit above Yellow House. I don't think there's a bad song to be found on it, and it just sounds so good, sonically speaking. Love the way the bass pops on Yet Again

9. Dog with a Blog

Oh yeah the production is top notch. The way it transitions into the soft acoustic picking at the end of Sleeping Ute or the explosion at the end of Sun in Your Eyes give me shivers every time.

10. Dog with a Blog

I felt like on the whole though that album felt too formulaic. A lot of tracks sounded to me like a band who heard Grizzly Bear and wanted to write Grizzly Bear songs. Maybe not bad songs, but fairly predictable imo. Have you checked out this new track yet?

11. Collins

Trusted

Yeah I dig it a lot. The guitar riff that comes in towards the end has that guitar tone of theirs that I love so much. Also, I'm more of a Ed guy than Daniel. Always love Ed's vocals and lyrics

12. Dog with a Blog

Hell yeah dude. That tone kills me. Sounds similar to that used on the end of Ready Able

13. radiodead

Trusted

Shields is their best album so

sophos34 likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

Kindly disagree. To each their own I suppose !

Edit: this is interesting though, as most of the people I know irl agree with me in thinking it was one of their weakest efforts.

15. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Shields has 3 good songs and a lot of ok songs

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  16. Collins

Trusted

Yet Again, Sleeping Ute, Speak In Rounds, and Adelma are the highlights for me. I need to listen to the record front to back again, it's been a long time. Veckatimest is always my go to.

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

if the album was all bad besides "sleeping ute" and "speak in rounds" it'd still be their best album off the strength of those two songs. thankfully, the rest of album is extremely good as well.

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

you know whats even better than sleeping ute tho

Gjpeace and tucah like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

still the best

20. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Yellow House is nearly perfect beginning to end for me. It's such a well thought out album and one of the more impressive complete pieces of work from the 00s indie era. I've seen other people knock it for it's deliberateness but 11 years later I think that aspect of it is still a strength.

Would agree While You Wait for the Others is their best song, though. The bridge!

Edit: didn't realize that was the Michael McDonald version lol

21. radiodead

Trusted

Adelma is like 40 seconds of noise doe

22. radiodead

Trusted

I personally think "Sleeping Ute" is their strongest track to date.

sophos34 likes this.
  23. Collins

Trusted

yeah lol i think i was mixing it up with something else. gun-shy was my other favorite

sophos34 likes this.
  24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Undoubtedly

25. Dog with a Blog

I'm sure you guys have heard it but if you haven't, this b-side has been a favorite of mine.