Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins (August 18, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

gonna echo what a few others have said, but i loved this way more than i thought i would. glad i didn't listen to mourning sound before the album, that was seriously a highlight. guitar tones on here are insane as expected. whole thing is pretty lush.

zmtr likes this.
  2. zmtr

Trusted

After hearing it once "Systole" might be a GOAT Grizzly Bear track.

and this closer? ugh. That guitar tone.

brandon_260 and ChiliTacos like this.
  3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Systole soooo good

4. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Indie rock is at a weird place right now where being flavor of the week or an absolute legend is possibly the most important part of being relevant. As really a tier 1.5 indie band even in their prime, who disappeared at more or less the nadir of their hype (no offense Shields fans) I'm not shocked their comeback hasn't met the same fanfare as LCD or The National.

Really looking forward to listening to this this weekend though. I wasn't in love with Shields but the great stuff on there was definitely great enough to keep me thinking they've got more excellent records in them.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

shields was incredibly hyped though, that record was pretty universally a top 10 album

6. "Glass Hillside" is so good. I guess this just feels a little more style over substance than Shields, but it's still wonderful

7. Gooddayz

always and forever

Absolutely love this and I just finished my second listen. They dropped the grandiose sound from Shields, but I'm personally glad they went in that direction. I think this is already my second fav behind Veckatimest.

Is that Chris who sings in the intro to Systole? Man this song is ridiculously good

8. radiodead

Trusted

I mean they have quite the discography going right now.

9. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I think I’ve had their last record sitting in my library for years and have only listened to a few songs. Took a small break from the BN record and for some reason decided to jump into this. Pleasantly surprised how much I’m enjoying it.

I’m reallying liking the variety of the vocals so far. He’s good.

10. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Aquarian & Cut-out are huge. This is so good!!

ChiliTacos likes this.
  11. Gooddayz

always and forever

I love how well Ed and Daniel play off each other in this one. Their dynamic together is amazing

12. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

That ending of "Three Rings", damn.

13. Dog with a Blog

Hmm. I found this to be very disappointing. Perhaps I need to listen again. Wasted Acres and Three Rings are my favorite tracks by far. Three Rings being, in my opinion, one of the best songs they've ever written.

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is very good and honestly has sounded better each time I've listened.

radiodead likes this.
  15. radiodead

Trusted

Yea this will end up in my top 10

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Three Rings is fucking amazing. Fuck.

17. Dog with a Blog

Three Rings is next level. I'm not sure why but so much of this album is not clicking for me.

18. flask

Trusted Supporter

Three Rings fucks me up lyrically and musically. Might be my new favorite Grizzly Bear song.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Yeah I was surprised that Three Rings didn't get more hype as a single because that one is my favorite of the singles by a good bit

20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Bear out does himself with the drum work in Three Rings

zmtr likes this.
  21. zmtr

Trusted

Three Rings might be my favorite GB song atm.

I've listened to this album probably 20 times since Friday. Strong AOTY contender rn

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Weird, I don't dislike Three Rings but there's a good handful of tracks I'd take above it on here.

23. Dog with a Blog

zmtr and Aaron Mook like this.
  24. zmtr

Trusted

Glass Hillside low key freaks me out

25. Dog with a Blog

I'm kinda salty they played Mourning Sound instead of Three Rings on Colbert tbh

mescalineeyes and zmtr like this.