Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins (August 18, 2017) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 24, 2017.

1. zmtr

Trusted

Yeah they kinda made that official awhile ago.

If this was the last record, it’s a great way to go out. I’d probably rank this 4th but the 3 records in front of it are all straight up masterpieces IMO.

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

not a big HoP or YH fan

3. radiodead

Trusted

I think Veckatimist is probably their most overrated, due to the strength of the best songs on that record. Painted Ruins is definitely their most underrated, because of when it came out. Shields is their masterpiece. Yellow House also a stunner.

zmtr likes this.
  4. zmtr

Trusted

HoP is whatever. Some super cool ideas that got expanded on later but it’s not something I ever really listen to.

Yellow House though? Didn’t actually get into it until after Shields and Veckatimest were out but now I think it’s their best as a cohesive piece. There’s nothing quite like it.

5. Collins

Trusted

Bummed. Wish I could see them one more time, they were insanely good live

6. zmtr

Trusted

Three Rings might be their best song.

Also... this

radiodead and Your Milkshake like this.
  7. radiodead Jan 16, 2021
    (Last edited: Nov 11, 2021)
    radiodead

Trusted

The Marfa Demos are unreal. Friends EP also unreal.

8. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Sun in Your Eyes is a goosebumps-inducer.

Gooddayz likes this.
  9. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Wow I think YH is pretty clearly the best. It's the most unique and while the vibe does a bit of lifting its no slouch on songwriting, either. Veck has always felt like a little less than the sum of its parts to me, and the other two are great but much spottier than either of the previous two imo. HoP is fine, kind of a rough listen but every redone song ended up incredible so there's clearly some magic there.

10. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Went on a GB kick lately and this album FINALLY clicked with me and I’m here to say it’s great

Cameron likes this.
  11. Maverick

Trusted

Your Milkshake likes this.
  12. Need to check out that Daniel Rossen, I think this is my favorite Grizzly Bear album at this point.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it’s a cool album. it’s a bit sleepy at points/a bit too much classical guitar but it has some really cool moments in the back half

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

good for him. RIP i guess?

16. phaynes12

they've been done for a while, no? didn't he leave the band years ago, and dan is doing solo stuff.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. flask

Trusted Supporter

Yeah he left in 2020 and Dan said “indefinite hiatus” because he knows not to totally rule anything out in the future. Glad I got to see them though. One of the best live performances I’ve ever seen.

18. Collins

Trusted

Good for him. Incredible live band, wish I saw them more than once but happy I got to check them off the list before it was too late. Hope Ed enjoys the new career and they cash in on that reunion tour money somewhere down the line

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

miss this band

rare case where each album was better than the last

Maverick likes this.
  20. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

maybe i just fell out of love with them, but i don't remember a single song from painted ruins. probably why i had no idea they already disbanded.

21. Shields is probably their best, but Painted Ruins has slowly grown to become my favorite

22. phaynes12

cashlion likes this.
  23. I feel fortunate to have caught them a couple of times. The first was not long after Veckatimest dropped and hearing Foreground live instantly became a core memory.

24. Gooddayz

always and forever

I'll just repeat and say so glad I got to see them live back in 2013. Such a legendary band from the late 2000s/2010s.

25. radiodead

Trusted

Not Grizzly Bear news but if you’re looking for a fix I would highly recommend “Keeper of the Shepherd”, the title track from the new Hannah Frances record. Best Grizzly Bear song since Painted Ruins.

Aaron Mook likes this.