Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grizzly Bear - Painted Ruins (August 18, 2017) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by elphshelf, Jan 24, 2017.

1. zmtr

Trusted

On some days Veckatimest is my favorite album from them. On some days its Yellow House and some days it's Shields lol

mescalineeyes likes this.
  2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

its def veckatimest for me. you can't top the highs on it.

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

Fine For Now is one of my all time favorite songs. The ending is massive. Love that they still play it live.

zmtr likes this.
  4. Gooddayz

always and forever

Wow that's awesome. One of my fav albums period. If only they did a ten year I would be all over that

zmtr likes this.
  5. zmtr

Trusted

Forgot how much of a banger Three Rings is. Whew

6. Jbent

Trusted

I actually prefer this album to Shields, I think it's great. However Veckatimst is still king. This band rules.

Gooddayz likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Only album I still need to check out is PR. Yellow House wasn’t on my radar, but I love it now.

8. Dog with a Blog

Daniel just uploaded a bunch of clips of music he’s working on/videos of him playing guitar to his Instagram story and god damn, the dude is just such an insane guitarist.

9. flask

Trusted Supporter

Watching him play and sing the outro to Sleeping Ute while standing 5 feet away from him was a religious experience.

10. radiodead

Trusted

The Shields erasure on these decade lists is a major head scratcher.

zmtr, the rural juror and CarpetElf like this.
  11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I thought P4K had it

12. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Nope

13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Some bullshit

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

and this albums even better

15. radiodead

Trusted

I do feel like Grizzly Bears relationship with some sites might be a little icy? I remember there was a little subtweeting going on about the Painted Ruins score that P4K assigned (though really it was a decent score, but I also think P4K has been trying to walk back some aughts and early 10’s indie rock praise).

Anyways....Shields should be on every top 200 list of the decade no question.

(Side note: Fleet Foxes also a little under appreciated in some of the lists I’ve seen I think. I know a lot of these decade lists are going to be 15-19 heavy, and that will course correct over time, but can’t forget about those early 10’s records.)

16. zmtr

Trusted

Helplessness Blues and Shields are both in my top 5 of the decade

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve actually STILL not listened to this. I need to fix

Your Milkshake likes this.
  18. zmtr

Trusted

Three Rings is one of their best songs for sure

Dog with a Blog and Cameron like this.
  19. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve heard Three Rings, but never got around to the rest. With all this talk of Shields shunning I’m probably gonna listen to this later today. Though with new FKA Twigs, and Royal Coda out after those.

20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

This album takes the best moments from Shields and builds from there. Similar timbre and approach to Sleeping Ute and Yet Again but added instrumentation. The songwriting is very good. Daniels style really permeates the record on a different level than previously I think.

Jbent likes this.
  21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It’s a Yellow House type of morning folks!

radiodead and zmtr like this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I should listen to this album finally.....

radiodead, flask and zmtr like this.
  23. Maverick

Trusted

Ed Droste posted this on his Instagram story

upload_2021-1-16_4-49-0.png

Apparently they had broken up/went on hiatus. I didn’t know that, quite the bummer.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  24. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Sucks

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

I thought that was common knowledge. Either way I’m glad I got to see them at least once. Probably the best band I’ve ever seen live.

Gooddayz, zmtr and Fronnyfron like this.