Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grimes Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

ughhhh this is bad

2. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

fuck

3. Inna Selez

Regular

I guess label or managers pushing on her.

4. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

SpyKi, iCarly Rae Jepsen and ChaseTx like this.
  5. irthesteve

ChaseTx likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it sucks how many artists are fucked over by their labels (Grimes, Charli, Tinashe,Jojo,.. those are just off the top of my head I'm sure there are a lot more)

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I’m so hyped for whatever she does next. That headline made me think she wasn’t going to release anything beyond the next album but I’m glad it’s not the case.

8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah that sounds great to me. Looking forward to anything she does.

9. irthesteve

suicidesaints and sophos34 like this.
  10. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

This "Highly Collaborative" album has me worried. It's great that we'll be getting two Grimes albums in the not too distant future. But I don't want the follow-up to Art Angels to sound like a rushed and compromised album, released just to fulfill contract obligations.

The dark and ethereal album was what I was looking forward to, and it's a pity that 4AD won't release it. Which is baffling in that the early history of 4AD is defined by dark, ethereal, experimental music.

lightning likes this.
  11. irthesteve

The whole thing seems like a really bizarre situation

lightning likes this.
  12. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

Nothing is straightforward with Grimes ;-)

My guess is that 4AD isn't in good shape financially at the moment, and that they're looking for a cash windfall of sorts. Grimes is the artist with the most pop potential on the label, and they were counting that she would continue on in a more commercial direction from Art Angels. One of the goals of record labels is to make money after all, even indies like 4AD.

However Grimes being Grimes did the opposite and quite likely delivered a far less commercial album than Art Angels. This went completely against the expectations of the label and the label were determined to get their own way. This meant trying to compromising her artistic freedom, something which she would not tolerate. This is what I think led to this whole situation.

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Honestly fuck 4AD for treating Grimes this way. She deserves all the artistic freedom in the world, she's completely self made and does everything herself top to bottom, the label trying to intervene is just going to harm what everyone loves about Grimes in the first place. Can't wait til she's out of her contract and able to do what she wants to do

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

suicidesaints likes this.
  15. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Damn today is the first I heard about all this bullshit. I'm so miffed.

16. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

I wonder will she go completely DIY after her contract with 4AD is fulfilled. A possibility is that she could release music on her own label eerie organization.

17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Hope she puts out a buncha new shit once its fulfilled. Love me some new grimes

18. irthesteve

OotyPa and angrycandy like this.
  19. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

can't fucking wait

20. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Who is that in the picture?

21. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

22. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Oh shit niiice.

23. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I have mixed feelings because of the whole Poppy scandal going on currently

24. Michael

Regular Bitch

Whoa. :eyes:

25. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

I had no idea who Poppy was until a couple of weeks ago. From what I've read on the lawsuit, I doubt she's done anything wrong herself. It's that other guy.

I'm more interested in this:

David is the best Grimes song never released. If she does eventually release an official version, I hope she doesn't alter the overall vibe of the song like she did with REALiTi. I just want something close to this: