Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Greta Van Fleet Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Hey don't get my hopes up, I love stickers!

angrycandy and beachdude like this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

One step up from “butthurt” in the dumb internet phrase lexicon imo

3. BlindDrive

I listen to virtually no hip hop, so I will give you that. To me, modern rap just blends together, and that's definitely due to lack of exposure. As far as the slippery slope thing, that's kinda far-fetched. If that was true, we would've never had 90s alternative after 80s hair metal made it's scene!

4. BlindDrive

Eh, you could say that. I think of it more as getting the ball rolling. We're making a lot of conversation happen, are we not?

5. flask

Trusted Supporter

Can't believe theres a thread for this band. Is it worth a read through?

6. BlindDrive

I just like the term "hate boner" and I felt like it described the situation. It's just a very hateful boner, that's all.

7. BlindDrive

Nah, it's mainly hate.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

But 90s alternative sounds different than 80s hair metal? That's my point. Or are you saying hair metal was copying Zeppelin too? Cus I don't feel that's accurate.

9. BlindDrive

Same. Really hoping GVF has some I can buy.

10. BlindDrive

You were saying you were afraid bands would be inspired to play like GVF, which would stagnate the genre and "kill rock music," which is kinda what happened during the 80s with the "power ballad." But there were plenty of rock groups in the 90s that thrived and made their names known. I'm not trying to directly compare the two genres, but hair metal and alternative rock still fall under the "rock" genre. I guess my point is that even if all rock started sounding like GVF (or Led Zeppelin, excuse me), it wouldn't "kill" the genre.

This conversation is all starting to make me sound like I praise GVF. Let me make this clear: I like their music, but they don't necessarily "impress" me.

11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

That's not the same though because those bands were all doing what was current at the time. They may have done it to death, but they weren't out there redoing 60s music. I'm saying if everyone starts sounding like Led Zeppelin again, it means rock is truly out of ideas. But I think we'll have to agree to disagree. And yea I get it (your last point). Truly I don't mean to sound like I'm saying not listen to them or anything. i've lost track of what point I was even trying to make lol

beachdude likes this.
  12. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This band got like five Grammy noms what a fucking joke lol

13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Another reason why it’s fine to give them a bad Pitchfork review. It’s punching up at the machine, not punching down at teenagers.

beachdude and incognitojones like this.
  14. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

More fuel to the Grammys being trash, it’s all bought paid for by who has the most money behind them

beachdude and Joe4th like this.
  15. I finally got around to listening to these guys and I think they sound like a shitty bar band covering Zeppelin.

earthlight and beachdude like this.
  16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Lol after all this I guess I am seeing them tonight. My friend really wanted to go and I've dragged her to more than a few concerts so I decided to be a team player. Maybe I will be converted tonight.

Larry David likes this.
  17. beachdude

From the comments on the other SNL song: "If you close your eyes it sounds like Adam Sandler doing that high pitched voice."

18. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I gotta be honest it brings me some level of joy to see this weird kid singing in a shitty broken high pitch

Like even he’s in on the joke, you can see it in his dead eyes

beachdude and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  19. manoverboard365

Trusted

Seriously who the hell dresses these kids? The singer looks ridiculous. And he has the worst stage presence, you would've thought his feet were nailed to that one spot.

TSLROCKS and beachdude like this.
  20. zmtr

Trusted

my guy looks like pete davidson and frodo had a baby

21. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I generally like this bands music and think the vitriol thrown at them is overdone, but their stage presence makes me so uncomfortable and the lead singer seems like a total knob.

22. beachdude

Jesus those performances are bad

23. beachdude

Seriously though, these guys would be decent as like a local bar band, but the ONLY reason they're getting pushed as the "next big thing" in rock right now is because the major labels are more out of touch than they've ever been with the actual interesting ideas happening in rock right now. They think repackaged nostalgia that was way better the first time around will sell more than anything else... and they may be right.

24. flask

Trusted Supporter

What the fuck are they wearing? Their clothes don't even look real its like they went to party city and bought a prepackaged hippy costume.

beachdude and CstSnow like this.
  25. beachdude

If you guys want a modern-day blues rock band inspired by Zeppelin while still bringing their own creativity and style, listen to Rival Sons. Their new album “Feral Roots” is genuinely a blast.

Carrow, sonder and mattav152 like this.