Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Greta Van Fleet Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Why is MANIA being grouped in with Imagine Dragons, 6ix9ine and Thirty Seconds To Mars though?!

beachdude, Joe4th and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lil Uzi Vert sounds nothing like Post Malone, though

3. BlindDrive

They sound about as close as GVF and Zeppelin

4. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

No, they really don't

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

That's wildly incorrect if you've taken a second to listen to either artist. GVF very, very clearly attempts to jock Zeppelin. That's literally brought up in like every single article about the band.

6. BlindDrive

Just because all these boring music critiques have hate boners for GFV doesn't make it true. You probably worship Anthony Ronald McDonald and hang on every word that trips out of his mouth.

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Post Malone and Lil Uzi sound really nothing alike at all. And my biggest problem with GVF is that people say things like "authentic rock" about it. It's fine if you enjoy this band, but to act like they are saviors of rock is just weird because these types of bands are what will kill rock for good. And saying that they don't sound like Zeppelin is kind of weird. I haven't listened to them a ton myself, but what I've heard definitely sounds like Zeppelin, and literally every friend of mine who likes them, the first thing they say is that they sound just like Zeppelin. It's what people like about them. Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying them, but let's not pretend that's not what they are.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

And I can promise @OhTheWater does not give one single shit about what Ronald has to say about anything.

Joe4th and beachdude like this.
  9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah he's a cancer

incognitojones, Joe4th and beachdude like this.
  10. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

11. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

That being said I kind of sympathize with you @BlindDrive cus people really do very aggressively rip on this band I'd be defensive too if I liked them. Rock out to what you like, nothing wrong with that. Maybe we'll all be eating our words in a few years who knows.

12. BlindDrive

13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I was gonna write a long response, but you nailed my thoughts exactly. Well said.

mattav152 likes this.
  14. mattav152

I was mostly referencing your use of "filling in the details"

15. BlindDrive

I appreciate this. I don't completely understand peoples' distaste with GVF because it seems like it only stems from their similarities to another band. It's like they did something wrong, or made something offensive, but all I hear is good music. Everyone says they "rip-off" Led Zeppelin, but I don't see an issue with that. To be perfectly honest, even if they came out and said, "oh yeah, we want to be Led Zeppelin 2: The Zeppelinning," I'd still listen to them.

16. BlindDrive Dec 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2018)
    BlindDrive

And I filled in the details of angry critiques with hate boners, or people who idolize Ronald McDonald? I'm sorry, but what part did I "fill in?" Because I see facts.

Edit: I just realized F@ntano autofills to "Ronald McDonald" on here. Very clever, guys.

17. beachdude

Not even CLOSE man.

I think this is key here. If you don’t listen to much Post or much Uzi, and aren’t into much hip-hop generally, you aren’t going to appreciate the differences between the artists as much as in a genre you ARE passionate about... in this case rock.

I’m big into both genres, and although I’m certainly not bashing your taste and think you should enjoy whatever you want... I do think you’re significantly overselling how similar major current rappers sound to each other, and underselling GVF’s similarity to Zeppelin, if you really think they’re equivalent situations. My dad and I are both diehard Zeppelin fans, and neither of us like GVF *because* of how imitative we both feel they are of Zeppelin. They pull in other influences, sure, but their predominant aesthetic is pretty clearly pulled from ONE specific artist.

mattav152 likes this.
  18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well I think that's the problem is the band tries to say it's not intentional and they didn't mean to do it, which is just not believable. And then people act like they are a revolutionary rock band hearlding in a new era of rock and roll, when they're really not doing anything new and could be argued to pretty much be a novelty act. But not every band has to be revolutionary, it's ok to just enjoy it for what it is.

beachdude likes this.
  19. mattav152

Nah, you made assumptions about other users because they didn't agree with you and I called you out on it based on what you previous said about people making assumptions about GVF.

incognitojones and beachdude like this.
  20. BlindDrive

First of all, the comparison between Lil Uzi and Post Malone is my opinion. To me, it all sounds the same. Just like you, "I haven't listened to them a ton myself," so we're about at the same level there.

I wouldn't label them as "saviors of rock" either, as there are plenty of modern rock groups who are already "saving" rock in my opinion. But they are still a talented rock group that I'm happy to see in the limelight. If more people played music like GVF, I wouldn't be complaining.

I'm not "pretending" that GVF is the new Zeppelin because they aren't and they will never be. No one can replace Zeppelin, and I wouldn't want anyone to anyway. But they do sound like Zeppelin, and that's why people address them as such. How else are you going to introduce them? It's much easier when you find a Zeppelin fan, then show them GVF on the basis of similarity in styles.

21. BlindDrive

Good for you, mate. Want a sticker? I've got a golden star with your name on it, buddy!

mattav152 likes this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Well in fairness, it sounds like you don't listen to a lot of rap in general (i could be wrong, I apologize if i am), and I listen to a good amount of both, so i'm used to a rock sound and am still able to differentiate. If that makes sense?

That second point is fair. But I do think it's a slippery slope because my concern is if a lot of bands start playing music like this, rock just kind of becomes a parody of itself that never moves forward, and that's when it will truly die.

Right I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but you were trying to say they don't sound that much like Zeppelin. I guess there's a fine line between "sounds comparable to" and sounds like a copy of. I get that the more time you spend with GVF, the more time you probably notice the difference, so I'll give you that.

beachdude likes this.
  23. beachdude

I mean he was right... you assumed a lot in some of your posts... but go off, don’t let anyone stop you.

EDIT: This was directed at the post two up from mine, not you @mattfreaksmeout lol

mattav152 likes this.
  24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Did i just see the phrase "hate boner" being used?

angrycandy, beachdude and Joe4th like this.
  25. BlindDrive

I would not call GVF "revolutionary" by any means. For me, a better description would be "refreshing." But I definitely wouldn't call them "novelty." It's as if people just slapped them with that label right out of the frying pan. I can bet you the reason they say they aren't a Zeppelin knockoff isn't because they blatantly know they are, but rather because it would stick and their whole scene would crash, ironically, like a lead zeppelin. But it seems the later has already sort of happened...