Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Greta Van Fleet Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

You know, if this band was aware of how much they ripped off Led Zep, that would be very Meta Van Fleet

Carrow, beachdude, Collins and 2 others like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

NPR loves them lol

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This sounds like a professionally recorded bar band you'd find in any city, on any block of an all-white neighborhood.

beachdude and Joe4th like this.
  4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'll never understand why "X is very good. Y sounds like X. Therefore, Y is very bad" is such a popular reaction in music.

manoverboard365 likes this.
  5. manoverboard365

Trusted

Agreed. It's especially weird hearing that on a music forum that is big on pop punk.....a genre where every single band is copying every single band before them.

LightWithoutHeat and CarpetElf like this.
  6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah it's just weird that this is being called similar to Zeppelin as if that's a bad thing. It's not a good record. If it sounded like Zeppelin it would be haha.

7. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

pop punk is bad

8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It's less "sounds like" and more "is an attempted replica clone"

9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

to be honest, that makes the criticism even weirder.

10. Joe4th

It feels inauthentic and I don't need a second watered down version of a band

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I completely agree with that assessment of the album. It's boring and lack innovation. If it WAS a replica of Zeppelin though, it wouldn't sound like that.

12. Joe4th

That's why I'm saying attempted replica. They clearly very much want to sound like them but fall flat at it and it ends up absolutely uninspired and not noteworthy at all

beachdude and CarpetElf like this.
  13. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

It's clearly very derivative and unoriginal, but that's totally not 1.6 worthy. I can't say I like it all, but it's only negative quality is that it's a Zeppelin clone - that's like 4/10 material at worst. There are far worse crimes than being unoriginal, and this just harkens back to the days when P4K would destroy beloved albums like Lateralus, The Fragile, and Clarity just to generate buzz. Giving it that extreme of a low score just doesn't sit right with me (then again, Jet's Shine On, another derivative album, is also not a 0/10, so way to keep up trends). 1.6 should be reserved for the true bottom of the barrel shit like Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy's MANIA, AJR, 6ix9ine, that new Thirty Seconds to Mars album, etc.

JM95 likes this.
  14. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

and pitchfork would never review any of these artists except for 6ix

15. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

personally find it curious they didn’t try to do this with the biggest (?) current rock band, twenty one pilots

OhTheWater likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Please don't start this authenticity debate like it actually means anything

17. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I kind of really like this album

I also don’t know much Zeppelin at all so this got me very interested in checking that out as well

So it’s not all bad

FlayedManOfSF and KidLightning like this.
  18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just getting around to listening to the new album. I'm into it. It takes me back to when I was a kid hanging in my Dad's woodshop helping him make furniture and jamming his 8-Track player. Damn, those were the days haha!

manoverboard365 likes this.
  19. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Get on that man. Their live DVD is insane. John Bonham doing a drum solo with his hands.

20. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Fuck Pitchfork for the most part. I remember them absolutely shitting all over Mars Volta, whom I consider one of the last bastions of original rock music.

However, as talented as Greta Van Fleet is, they totally lack anything resembling originality. I listened to the album once and enjoyed it for what it was but now it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Instead of trying to create new, exciting soundscapes, we got 4 or 5 dudes on stage playing unoriginal music that imitates both the sounds and clothing of 1970. The day they take a chance and do something risky/creative, I'm there. For now, however, they're relegated to an occasional nod-along when I hear them at a bar

beachdude likes this.
  21. BlindDrive

If anyone is still ranting and raving over this band, let me say this: why does it matter if they sound like something else? Isn't that kinda the point sometimes? They have a similar aesthetic, but their music is original. Besides, it's not like other markets don't have stagnating genres, like country and hip-hop (or the dreadful state of EDM). Personally, I enjoy Greta Van Fleet. They give me exactly what I want, which is decent, authentic rock music.

But I'll say this: this is the exact same reaction I had when Post Malone got big. I don't get it in the slightest; he sounds like any other young, suburban rapper right now, and the only reason he's big is because his beats and lyrics are slightly more catchy than the last dude's. All in all, Post Malone never brought anything new to the table, so why the fuss over Greta Van Fleet?

/thread

22. Joe4th

Post Malone is more original than GVF

23. BlindDrive

In what way?

24. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

This is just my perspective but I think a key issue with GVF is that rather than try to emulate the sound of their influences and build upon that foundation, making it their own, they just straight up imitate/rip off Zeppelin, which personally rubs me the wrong way. More power to you to enjoy their music but to call it original or authentic just feels like a stretch.

While artists like Post Malone may not be making the most original or groundbreaking music in the world, his career and identity as an artist isn't built on using another artist as a crutch like GVF's career is. You can hear his influences in his music but it isn't to the extreme of his songs sounding like they could be long lost B-sides of some other artist. I'd also argue that an artist like Post has a lot of other things going for him outside of just his music. He's extremely likeable as a person and has a "swagger" that resonates with a lot of people.

25. BlindDrive

Coming from someone who is drawn more to rock music than hip hop, I can't say that I agree with you. If you had told me "Rockstar" was a Lil Uzi track, I wouldn't have questioned it. On the flip side, "Mountain Of The Sun" sounds nothing like Zeppelin to me. In fact, most of their music only vaguely sounds like Zeppelin, bar a couple tracks that are fairly similar. The only true connection I can make is the similarity between the voice of the lead singer and Robert Plant. As far as building upon some "foundation," I think only time will tell. After all, they've only released one full-length album.

I will agree that they are heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin, but I wouldn't stop there. Their style reminds me of many former rock groups, such as Deep Purple, Rush, and Foreigner. Saying their style "rips off Zeppelin" is pretty narrow-minded. They're being made out as if they specifically WANTED to be a Zeppelin clone. This is just another case of people who don't know the background or details, and subsequently filling them in by projecting upon the situation. What is so bad about so-called "revival rock?"