Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Greta Van Fleet Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The music industry is bigger than it's been in at least a decade, and one band's success does not necessitate another band's failure.

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

thats just not true and you can look at any other industry to see thats the case

incognitojones likes this.
  3. Micah511 Oct 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2018)
    Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I'm going to try and actually listen to this.

EDIT 1: dang, this first song is worse than the ones I've actually heard. Did this dude learn bass last week?

EDIT 2: somehow more forgettable than the first. Man, what I had heard of the band before was annoying because of how much of a rip off it was, but this is BORING.

EDIT 3: When the curtain falls is at least kind of catchy. I hate that this band sounds the way they do, and I hate how big they are, and people who go on and on about them being the saviors of rock, but I would rather listen to this than modern radio rock, so i guess they have that going for them.

EDIT 4: stop doing slow songs, fast and catchy is the only thing this band has going for it. turn the bass down, its bad.

EDIT 5: every guitar part is starting to sound the same.

beachdude likes this.
  4. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I enjoyed this record. They've got some talent and the singer can really belt it out. Plant is right, this is basically Led Zeppelin I, but that's not a bad place to start. Interested to see where they go.

KidLightning likes this.
  5. Micah511

Oh, number 6, an acoustic song. Some keys. at least it sounds kind of different. this allows the lyrics to uh, shine though. Yikes.

6. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I really liked their first record a lot more than this last one

7. Micah511

I'm on number 7 and I'm fading fast.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

why would you listen to this album

9. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

My personal problem with this band is more what it’s indicative of in rock music, and the music industry, as a WHOLE right now. If out of all the bands out there right now, many of which are making really creative and inventive music to little acclaim... THIS is why rises to the top of the rock charts, I think it shows rock as a genre is in some trouble.

10. Micah511

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Radio Rock has been in "trouble" for fucking years. It's a toxic, stagnant shitheap of a genre that hasn't put anything worthwhile or interesting out since, like, nu-metal. There are hundreds of bands aping 80s glam rock and 90s grunge out there making music just as bad as this. Idk why people are acting like they give enough of a shit about this band to warrant a conversation. The people who are interested in this band are not people you give a shit about, so why are we pretending like this band is harming anyone? They're boring, they're derivative, they're bad. But...so are a lot of other things, so who cares?

12. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I get the criticism of rock music and the industry, but I don't think it's fair to lay that blame at the feet of the band.

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

@beachdude some of your friends have weird takes lol

beachdude likes this.
  14. beachdude

For sure. I'm not personally blaming the band... I also don't think they're very good however.

15. Fox83

Trusted

You post in here a lot telling people this band isn't worth anyone's time, but...you post in here a lot. Why is that? I'm not even trying to be clever/funny. I'm genuinely curious.

KidLightning likes this.
  16. Micah511

I couldnt complete the task. I do not like this band. but not because they are necessarily bad (they are) but my goodness they are boring.

beachdude likes this.
  17. beachdude

Definitely, hah. I'm standing by what I said in the comments of that post... which is that barring some huge unexpected innovation in style, I think rock is going to really transition in the next 10-20 years to becoming a predominantly niche genre. It'll be the new jazz, if you want to listen to rock music you can seek it out and there'll be great artists still making it, but if not you probably won't hear it much... at least as a young music listener. And there's nothing wrong with that. We're already most of the way there.

KidLightning likes this.
  18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The pompous, poorly written douchebaggery in the review riled me up to half defend a band I otherwise wouldn't.

manoverboard365 and Fox83 like this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

So Flying Lotus. I agree.

beachdude likes this.
  20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Rock isn't dead it just changed into something else. Rock now is Imagine Dragons, Panic! at the Disco, twenty one pilots, new Fall Out Boy, the 1975. All those bands are huge, and they all have a common thread between them (genre mashing, a pop shine over the music, high energy). None of those bands really sound like "rock music" but they don't really fit in a different genre either. Rock doesn't need saving, rock just needs people to stop expecting it to sound the way it always has.

Anyway, as far as Greta Van Fleet, I have some friends really excited about them, but I just can't bring myself to care. They don't necessarily bother me though so I'll let the people who do like them live and just ignore it myself.

21. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

damn he really got them

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

23. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

y2jayjk, Carrow, beachdude and 4 others like this.
  24. manoverboard365

Trusted

If I'm being honest their on stage costumes irk me way more than their music does.

25. Haven't seen a vintage P4K hit job like this in quite some time. This one is almost on an Airborne Toxic Event level (google if you don't remember).

Oh yeah goes without saying but this band sucks.

beachdude and primavera like this.