Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Greta Van Fleet Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

do you really truly think that a band that blew up before they had an EP out did so organically, or did so with the intention of not trying to make a single that checked all the boxes it needed to?

it’s the algorithm age, baby. i’m not, like, furious about it lol it happens on netflix and shit all the time. but they do suck ass so i’m glad to drag them yeah let’s do that

2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It irks me that a band completely rips off another and is somehow the "next big thing" while others are making unique and more interesting music and are gone and forgotten about before they even have a chance. Living in Michigan and being forced to hear them literally everywhere and hear people hail them as "rock's saviors" is the most infuriating thing

3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I think if they took themselves less serious it would be easier to swallow. They try to make it sound like they came across this sound naturally.

right.

4. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Now that I don't believe at all

KidLightning likes this.
  5. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I honestly don't care how it happened. It's irrelevant to me. But I'm also not sure what "boxes" they were trying to check. The narrative everywhere, for the last decade, has been that "rock is dead".

6. Elder Lightning

I think it's pretty obvious he's trolling.

7. Joe4th

This band went from opening up for my friend's band at some dive bar to suddenly playing giant venues in the course of a few months. I genuinely don't see anything natural about how this all has been done and it comes off as so fake. Like the whole "oh we never heard Zeppelin until high school" is such bullshit

Carrow and incognitojones like this.
  8. Joe4th

Is it though? Because it really does not come off that way at all

9. primavera

and yet every year or two there’s four or five bands “that are bringing real rock back,” that a bunch of people herald for doing the same thing that the bands their parents raised them on did. the same thing happened with gaslight, except brian fallon wasn’t 20 years old with no previous releases before he became the favorite rock guy for everyone on the internet

10. primavera

if it came off like he was trolling, i’d probably like them more. that they have an ounce of humor or self-awareness about them would be nice. that’s not the case lol. they couldn’t be more serious.

11. Elder Lightning

Seems pretty obvious to me that he's "taking the piss".

12. Elder Lightning

One of the first lyrics on the album is "To wonderlands of ice and snow".

If that's not trolling, I don't know what is.

13. Micah511

It's not trolling, it's copying.

14. Micah511

Any band that becomes as large as they are deserves a critical look at how it happened before they had an album out. This is The Jonas Brothers for baby boomers.

15. primavera

but they didn’t hear immigrant song until after the record was written duh

16. Elder Lightning

Why does it matter how they got big?

I thought the sell-out/label-plant criticism died 20 years ago.

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

you clearly dont know what trolling is then

Joe4th likes this.
  18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

think of it in terms of income inequality within the music industry and maybe you'll understand

Joe4th likes this.
  19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

dozens of my favorite bands had to break up after one or two albums because they couldnt afford to feed themselves let alone make more music, so yeah its irksome when a band like this is catapulted into superstardom straight from a record label board room without having earned shit.

20. primavera

sell out and plant arguments aren’t the same thing. one of them requires some level of status and changing to make it to another one. the other fundamentally contradicts that lol

selling out to make more money is fine imo. get that check. completely curating your sound before even really trying is pretty weak imo.

21. Micah511

also, I really might give them more of a break if there was an *ounce* of originality here.

Joe4th and beachdude like this.
  22. Elder Lightning

The music industry is NOT a zero-sum game.

23. Elder Lightning

This makes no sense.

24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

what do you mean? labels and fans dont have infinite amounts of money to spend. there's very little money in the industry at all right now. very little. a lot is being pumped into this d-rate led zeppelin jerk off fest and its annoying

incognitojones likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Wow, that review was fucking savage.