Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Greta Van Fleet Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by earthlight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Greta Van Fleet is an American rock band from Frankenmuth, Michigan, formed in 2012. It consists of vocalist Josh Kiszka, guitarist Jake Kiszka, bassist Sam Kiszka, and drummer Danny Wagner. They were signed to Lava Records in March 2017 and a month later the band released their debut studio EP, Black Smoke Rising. Their debut single, "Highway Tune", topped the Billboard US Mainstream Rock and Active Rock charts in September 2017 for four weeks in a row. A second EP From the Fires, containing the four songs from Black Smoke Rising and four new songs, was released on November 10, 2017, alongside a second single, "Safari Song".

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I can get behind these guys, they're really starting to blow up.

Larry David and earthlight like this.
  3. manoverboard365

Trusted

I just discovered these guys the other day. WOW. Rock n Roll is rising from the dead.

4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I’d say the existence of this band is actually proof that rock is dead

y2jayjk, Carrow, kyle and 3 others like this.
  5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I wish they weren't from Michigan

I've never seen such a blatant ripoff get so big and it's such a gigantic bummer

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oof, that Pitchfork review is pretty awful. The writing that is, not what the douchebag writer is actually saying about the band.

I also don't like this band very much but that one song Edge of Darkness is catchy enough.

7. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

they’re as awful as the writing indicates

Carrow and beachdude like this.
  8. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Yeah I'd say the p4k review is pretty fair. It's one thing to be heavily influenced by another band, but to blatantly rip off every aspect, even down to production, is taking it way too far.

beachdude likes this.
  9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

lol i'm sure the album is boring and bloated and pompous but how are you gonna call that review "fair"?

10. manoverboard365

Trusted

Lmao it's a 1.6. Definitely not a fair review.

11. Micah511

Because they are basically a fake band targeted towards people who say, "they just don't make music like they used to, no one plays their instruments anymore!".

beachdude likes this.
  12. manoverboard365

Trusted

They're obviously trying to mimic Zepplin, but I don't think it's fair to call them a "fake band." They are all really talented at their instruments and they write their own music, some of which is catchy.

Larry David and KidLightning like this.
  13. primavera

5C7D07F9-014C-4801-8E92-04CF3F755938.jpeg
    not a single lie written

incognitojones, beachdude and Joe4th like this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Basically a fake band?

Who gives a shit, they're a boring band for boring hard rock people. The review was poorly written and pandered to a crowd of people super eager to jump over this band without having heard a single note. Just don't review it. I thought p4k was kinda over hit pieces

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

"it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article" what does that even mean? I can hear the dude jerking off to his own words.

16. Micah511

It needs to copy a band enough to get them in your "Discover Weekly" playlist on Spotify.

17. primavera

^^^^^

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

So if people listen to rock music a rock band will get put on their discover page? I don't necessarily understand the point?

19. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

The point is that some people are angry that this band sounds a lot like a band in the past. So some douche on a music review website wrote a totally embarrassing, insulting review about the kids in the band and people are jerking off to it because they think its cool.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Don’t get me wrong, I would absolutely never listen to this band based on every ounce of aesthetic and buzz I’ve heard about them

21. primavera

please don’t put words in my mouth. i’m jerking off to the review bc i hate the band, not bc i like the writing. how dare you

22. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Here you go kids. Not even Robert Plant gives a shit. Let the band make music and go on with your life

23. Micah511

This just in: old guy is okay with a band worshiping the ground he walks on.

y2jayjk, slimfenix182, Carrow and 5 others like this.
  24. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

25. Fox83

Trusted

I didn't realize this band irritated so many people.