Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. TheJMan

Trusted

Really hope the new song and album are good. I'm a big GD fan but really haven't liked much of anything they've put out since American Idiot.

2. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Looks like this guy is working with them on album art and whatnot.

kyle likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Just listened to 21st Century Breakdown for the first time in awhile. I think that album is very, very underrated.

Turkeylegz, ECV and FTank like this.
  4. tomtom94

Trusted

I really enjoyed it when it came out, but it needed trimming. There's some fantastic riffs in there though.

FTank likes this.
  5. TheJMan

Trusted

I liked it the first time I heard it but after awhile I got kind of bored of it. There are some really good songs on that album but I just feel like it's a little too long.

FTank likes this.
  6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I've been a staunch defender of that album upon its release! The narrative of that album alone should get some praise b/c there's a lot in there that tends to be overlooked. In hindsight, that album - a big, bloated, large-sounding ROCK album - was the only logical step for them to follow American Idiot. AI was just so goddamn successful, that people were sort of sick of the band.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  7. Craig Manning

It is undoubtedly too long. But it got written off as a lesser American Idiot when most of those songs sound nothing like American Idiot. Musically and thematically, it was a completely different (and more complex) piece of work. I don't think it's as good, but I think it kind of sucks that they got criticized for playing it safe when that album was definitely not safe.

The story is definitely much harder to follow than American Idiot. Maybe that's why people didn't like it as much.

8. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Perfectly stated!

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I definitely can't follow the story of 21CB, I've always thought it wasn't nearly as successful as AI in creating a coherent narrative. I still do like the album though

10. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Odds on what this new song is gonna sound like? I'm expecting a balls to the wall heavy guitar riff banger. Something that won't have traction on top 40 or anything like that but would definitely get played on all of the hard rock and potentially alternative stations.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  11. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I don't have any specific predictions or hopes for the new song, just want it to better than the trilogy lol

12. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

That won't be hard to do...

13. tomtom94

Trusted

There's a good album somewhere in the trilogy. The problem is there is only one, and Green Day released three...

Owlex likes this.
  14. Craig Manning

Here's the good album:

1. See You Tonight
    2. X-Kid
    3. Carpe Diem
    4. Brutal Love
    5. Stray Heart
    6. 8th Avenue Serenade
    7. Stay the Night
    8. Amanda
    9. Sweet 16
    10. Lazy Bones
    11. Dirty Rotten Bastards
    12. Nuclear Family
    13. 99 Revolutions
    14. Rusty James
    15. Walk Away
    16. Amy

15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Good list, but still just good. Definitely not above average even compared to other Green Day albums.

FTank likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

Eh, I'd put this about on the level of Nimrod and Insomniac, and with higher highs. But I've never been particularly taken with either of those albums. It's definitely weaker than Dookie or the three that preceded it, but I would put this album in the middle of their discography if they had actually released it. Alone, I'd put Tre somewhere in the middle, Uno toward the bottom, and Dos at dead last.

JRGComedy likes this.
  17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Nimrod is their second best album though..

domotime2 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  18. Craig Manning

I do not agree with that at all. It's better than Insomniac, but is pretty loaded with throwaway tracks for me. I'd take Dookie, Warning, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown over it any day of the week, and probably Tre as well.

Jose likes this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

We're in agreement on AI, but then I'd put some solid space between Nimrod and #3 (which, btw, would be Insomiac).

20. Craig Manning

Insomniac is so boring to me. It just all runs together and feels like a less hooky version of Dookie. I think they got much more interesting when they really started expanding their horizons on Warning.

21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

That's funny to me because I've always thought Insomniac was a much more interesting, hooky Dookie. Warning is a fine album but I don't think I could rank it higher than sixth.

22. Jose

weightless in the valley

I really need to give their full discog a spin soon so I can rerank them for myself. Will never remove American Idiot as my top album though.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

That's definitely BJ's face on the top right

Also 21CBD is my fourth favorite for me (above Dookie!)

24. Craig Manning

I'm going to go ahead and say you are objectively wrong about Insomniac being hookier than Dookie.

Jose likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Dookie's my favorite of theirs but it's also the one that got me into them ,one of the albums that got me into music