Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Band • Page 79

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. blink and green day's fans are most likely all under the age of 40. maybe even under 30.

phaynes is so edgy it hurts.

.K., beachdude, Gallhammer and 2 others like this.
  2. pbueddi

Trusted

Maybe one of the worst posts on this site.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

cmmon man, "under 40" is your best guess? You aren't THAT out of touch.

4. For real haha. It’d probably make more sense to ask “who under the age of 40 cares about Oasis?”

5. tomtom94 Mar 2, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 2, 2021)
    tomtom94

Trusted

You can find my take in the replies but this has once again inspired one of my periodic "listening to all the good songs on 21CB" moods and... it still frustrates me how the bad stuff drags it down because the good stuff is so good

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

What are considered the bad songs, out of curiosity

Gallhammer likes this.
  7. tomtom94

Trusted

I know people have their own opinions but for me personally:
    Christian's Inferno (insipid filler)
    American Eulogy (some of Billie Joe's worst lyrics ever)
    See The Light (just kinda bland tbh)

I also don't mind some of the others songs in the context of the album but I wouldn't seek them out otherwise - stuff like Restless Heart Syndrome, 21 Guns or Murder City for ex

tdlyon likes this.
  8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

That's fair. I really like all three of those songs, especially American Eulogy lol. I can see people not being into the other two though

Like I said I love that album but if I had to pick the weakest songs I'd just go with Know Your Enemy, Restless Heart Syndrome and maybe Horseshoes and Handgrenades. I really wouldn't cut any though

tomtom94 likes this.
  9. tomtom94

Trusted

That's fair too! I think it's good that everyone takes away different things from the album, in a way. (I love Horseshoes and Handgrenades, funnily enough...Hives influence and all)

I'd say my disappointment is mainly that it starts out great but doesn't stick the landing, hence the comparison to American Idiot which also has a couple of weak songs in the middle but also has Homecoming/Whatsername at the end which make up for them.

Zach and tdlyon like this.
  10. Zach

Trusted Supporter

What songs on AI are weak in your opinion? Maybe Extraordinary Girl, but the rest are all damn good

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I had this same thought. I'm guessing it's that middle stretch from "Are We the Waiting" through "Extraordinary Girl"? It's hard to live up to that wall of hits at the opening, or the more emotional weighty stuff in the final third, but I like that middle act a lot. Some bangers in there.

Zach and AFoolsGlory like this.
  12. PolarBlare

Regular Supporter

While I would say I don’t like 21CB nearly as much as American Idiot on the whole, they were both pretty formative albums for me musically. 21CB has plenty of filler but I would still defend a lot of it (Before the Lobotomy, Last of the American Girls, East Jesus Nowhere, etc) even though it’s hard for me to say how much of that is sentimentality.

The point in the prechorus of the title track where the lead guitar slides up gave me actual chills when I was 12-13, and Horseshoes and Hand Grenades had more attitude than anything I knew at the time. Last Night on Earth was even the first pop song I ever learned on piano. So I still love that album, even if I would say it’s on the bloated side. That being said, 10 years ago I would’ve called Whatsername my favorite song so even then I preferred American Idiot.

13. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I love Horseshoes and Handgrenades, it just feels a little out place on the album. Like you said, it is bloated and could trim off a few songs

14. tdlyon Mar 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 4, 2021)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I honestly think AI is a perfect album. If I HAD to cut a song I GUESS it would be She's a Rebel but it would really feel like it was missing something even without that song I think

pbueddi likes this.
  15. heymattrick

Sending my love

American Idiot and 21CB are both so good! I wouldn't change a thing about AI, 21CB probably could lose 2-3 (both Viva La Gloria's and Christian's Inferno would be the ones I'd drop) but overall really solid and I dig all the remaining tracks. I absolutely love the reprises and recalls on those albums (Song of the Century & American Eulogy and 21CB & See the Light) and how they tried that again on Rev Radio (Somewhere Now & Forever Now). I just can't believe the trilogy and FOAMF is from the same band sometimes.

Zach likes this.
  16. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Damn I love both of the Gloria songs on 21CB haha. The second one is weaker though

pbueddi and chewbacca110 like this.
  17. razorburn

Trusted

beachdude and bradsonemanband like this.
  18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Whenever I think I have no expectations of him making music I enjoy again, I remember this exists and he could probably do it if he tried

alphab0t likes this.
  19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Wow we might actually get new shit before Hella Mega (if it happens)

20. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I already like that more than FOAM.

pbueddi and SamLevi11 like this.
  21. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I could really use a new Green Day album

22. pbueddi

Trusted

Id actually really love something in the vein of AI or 21CB right about now.

BornToRun and DaydreamNation like this.
  23. bring on more FOAM sounding stuff :-)

24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

no.

SamLevi11, Kelsey, pbueddi and 4 others like this.
  25. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I just want them to write something that sounds/feels like they give a shit. The Longshot is evidence that Billie can write garage/pop-punk songs that are worth a shit...

I just wish he’d put that level of focus into Green Day material.

FOAMF felt like a low effort record, written to get a few NHL commercial songs and round it out with filler.

333 GANG likes this.